“A different experience...very good steak frites”

Le Relais De Venise - Marylebone
Ranked #1,328 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Marylebone
London, United Kingdom
“A different experience...very good steak frites”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is an interesting place to review...first & foremost, I guess it would be useful for the waiting staff to explain the whole service concept at this restaurant while you wait in the queue (I think we waited about 20-25 minutes)...as it is strange, and not my idea of an ideal set-up from a hospitality point of view as anywhere that has French-style service or rushes you through your dinner for the sake of getting more money from more diners is not a great start...but I knew what I was coming for...roughly speaking...as my fellow diner had briefed me!

Food & wine...steak was cooked to perfection...maybe not quite the way I would have it, but as recommended, and was melt in the mouth and simply divine. Frites were crisp and delicious. Funnily enough I thought the portion size was very disappointing, but that's because nobody had told me they come round a 2nd time and effectively fill up your plate again as much as you want! I was in steak frites heaven when I had my 2nd plate full! The salad you start off with is also a quirky feature but was tasty and nice to have something to keep you going to the main course, albeit there is no choice in this and I would personally have preferred a bit of bread & butter...having said that salad is more suitable given how much steak-frites you end up having!
The wine by the glass was fine, albeit certainly not cheap and not of outstanding quality bearing in mind this is a French restaurant and bearing in mind it's easy to find a good red wine to match perfectly with steak, so disappointing on that front.

Service: Bearing in mind the set-up and previous reviews, I'd say service was definitely in-personal, but it was certainly efficient, and due to the two servings you get of steak-frites didn't fell overly rushed in the end, in spite of the super-fast turnaround of tables around us as the queue no doubt got longer & longer outside (we paid our bill just after 8.30pm so we were in the peak)...yes they could be friendlier, but they were at least polite & efficient and surprisingly un-French (which is a positive)!

Ambience: buzzing restaurant, very busy, not somewhere to go for a quiet, romantic chat or family outing, but certainly a foodie haven, especially for all you carnivores and steak lovers!

My usual London gripe...automatic adding of service charge very annoying...albeit only 10% at this restaurant versus the GB nom of 12.5%...£72 all in including 1 coffee and a shared dessert of profiteroles which was nice, but rather small for £6. Also, some would say £23 each for steak-frites and salad is expensive, but for the quality and amount of food, I think that's fine.

Overall a pleasant experience, and if you love steak-frites I'd recommend it for sure!

• Visited September 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Past its prime and over priced”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Le Relais used to be one of our regular go-to spots for good steak in London and we used to persist with the line ups as it was worth the wait. We haven't been in a year or so and were in the neighbourhood so stopped by for lunch unfortunately only to be very disappointed. The portions are significantly smaller then in the past and the price has increased significantly!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank CdnExPats
Bishopton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant give this a go”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Try this steak restaurant, there's no booking so you may have to wait there always seems to be a queue (good sign !!). Steak strips and chips (with their special sauce) only but a choice of sweet, and then how do you want the steak cooked and pick your wine.. Service quick and efficient. Portions good. always busy. I always visit when in London

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Billfr0mSc0tland
London, United Kingdom
“A good brasserie”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A safe bet to experience a French brasserie in London. It is victim of its success so be ready to queue!

Visited November 2013
Cacak, Serbia
“Great reputation! I was not disappointed! ”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I have heard about this place but at Canary Wharf for months. Everyone has been raving on about how great it is. So on Friday I went along with a friend.
We were served a beautiful salad with walnuts to start with and then amazing soft tasty steak for main. No fuss just great food served fresh and prompt. The special sauce they use is very tasty although I couldn't quite describe its flavour so it really is secret!
We didn't stay for desserts as we were meeting people elsewhere but I did have a feeling it would be tasty.
The restaurant itself felt a bit like being at my grandmothers house but in a good way. Old fashioned but clean and nice. I don't like old fashioned which is old and sticky! This place was not like that.
I am going to become a regular here for good fuss free dinners!
Thoroughly recommend it!