“Do not stay at this "hotel", it is a dump, a disgrace and should be closed down!!”
Review of Goodwood Hotel

Goodwood Hotel
Ranked #450 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Requiring a budget hotel for just one night's stay (for my friend's 65th birthday treat) I booked the Goodwood Hotel through Booking.com noting their 4.8(max 5)rating. We dropped off our bags in the morning, returning at around 11pm. We were appalled at the room but, being two ladies aged 57&64, at that time of night we had few options but to stay.The first thing that hit us was the pungent smell of a plug-in air freshener attempting to disguise the reek of the filthy room. The carpet had not been vacuumed, the net curtains were literally black, the draw curtains were hanging off the rails.The furniture was falling apart-there was a piece of wood holding the so-called wardrobe upright, we removed it whereupon it leaned dangerously towards the bed. The en-suite was merely a plastic box dumped in the corner of the room in front of the windows, it's light didn't work and the smell of the drain made us retch. Fluff and other detritus stuck to the woodwork and the bed covers weren't fit for a dog. Part of the ceiling was hanging off and there were exposed wires in a junction box. We didn't dare look too closely at the crockery etc and chose not to have a drink. We tried not to look at the mattresses or pillows, thankfully the bedlinen and towels were clean and so we attempted to sleep.There were banging doors and shouting all through the night and so we put a bed behind the door for security. I woke up with several bites to my left wrist which I can only assume is the result of some nocturnal creature snacking on my blood. The chap in a back room, presumably in charge, was extremely unsavoury, rather creepy and made us feel very uncomfortable. I did not complain there and then as I feared unpleasant repercussions. I took several photos as evidence and intend to complain to Booking.com once they have replied to my email asking how to make a complaint as their website doesn't say, what a surprise! No matter how reasonably priced or cheap a room is it should, at the very least, be fit for people to inhabit without feeling unsafe and dirty. Goodness only knows what goes on in this establishment, I'll wager it isn't legal. The place should be closed down....immediately!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this "hotel".
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank gez1311

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stood outside amazed. Surely there must be some mistake. The building was a tip and the only window clean enough to see through showed a ceiling rose with a bulb - no shade. On entry (after waiting for an age on the receptionist), my nose was overcome with the stench, I passed a couple leaving and soon found out why. My "room' offered about 12 inches of floor space down one side of the grubby bed, a broken single wardrobe and NO toilet facilities. About turn!! The chap insisted they would charge me for the booking - I have a good mind to report them to Environmental Health. Honestly, the guy sleeping outside Russell Square station took the best option.
I only give it one tick as there is no option for NO ticks. - DISGRACEFUL

Room Tip: The gutter would be better!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Brockville21
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The Goodwood Hotel, what can I say about this delightful place?! For a start, I'm lying, it was a poo-hole to be polite! We booked this hotel for 8 of us on a hen weekend. We needed somewhere cheap, close Euston and with rooms for 3 or 4 people. Unfortunately for us, Goodwood was about the only one available and we were very mislead by the photos of the rooms!

We originally booked 3 rooms - a quad and 2 doubles, but received a call that morning to say they were swapping us to the 5 bed instead of the 2 doubles. This was fine as what we wanted initially. Big mistake! when we got there, we were running late for the theatre anyway and it took them 15 minutes to even find our booking! The lady showed the first 4 of my group to their room, it looked just big enough to be a double, but still, it wasn't too unpleasant.

The remaining 4 of us were then led down corridors and eventually directed outside. I did think at first she had shown us the wrong way, as we were faced with what looked like a rubbish tip - dirty old mattresses and bin bags piled high. However, I was mistaken, as we were led outside to what can only be described as a garage.

The door was frosted glass, and an outside light was on all night, which meant the light was shining directly onto us in the room. I had to sleep with the blanket over my head, which did scare me a little, due to the amount of dust that came off the thing. There were no towels and the bathroom was so filthy, showering was pointless!

Both the bathroom window and one in the bedroom were wide open when we arrived, and we were delighted to find that both had handles broken off them so we couldn't close them, so were freezing all night. When I did try and close the bathroom window, I was lucky enough to get a handful of brown sludge!

There was tea and coffee, but no milk.

The rest of the group on the quad room were very cramped into what was definitely a double room, a single bed squeezed into the corner and a pull out bed which just about fit. The en suite was like something you'd find on an aeroplane, the door only just opened! They also complained about being freezing all night, despite being in a cramped space and not having any broken windows!!

All in all, the trip was certainly memorable though I would not recommend the Goodwood to my worst enemy, especially being as I still have the flea bite scar to mark the event!!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, stay away from the 5 bed external icy garage room!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Spicyprawns
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Arrived at hotel and almost the first thing I was asked was how I was going to pay.
Although actually quite friendly he was hopeless. He gave me very vague instructions on how to find my room, which was through a door marked incorrectly and down two flights of narrow stairs (thankfully I only had a backpack).

I got to my room which was small, difficult to move around, and just unpleasant. G
En-suite was absolutely tiny and shower was unusual.

It had a tv, kettle and fridge, but you wouldn't want to use them.

Overpriced 'hotel' - local hostels are nicer than this!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank MartinDukeUK
Reviewed September 12, 2012

1 night in London was all my and my girlfriend wanted. Not even 5 minutes at the hotel we were already greeted with dissapointment. We were told, by who I can assume is the owner of the place, that we had called up and cancelled our booking that day. This was not the case as we did not do this of any sort. We asked him why would we cancel and then turn up? That just does not make any sense. He kept insisting that we did but could not offer any proof on it when I asked. He did not seem apologetic at all. I then asked other questions relating to this "cancelled booking" and he could not give me any straight answers. He then told us he was fully booked so I asked him what he could do as he clearly got the information wrong and I was not about to leave without him doing something to correct this mistake. After a while he then showed us to a room that we could stay in (it was a double bed but the room was tiny, barely enough room to walk around the bed). This I found weird as he said he was fully booked and yet he had a spare room. So he told us to leave and return a few hours later so he could prepare it. When we returned we found that he had booked us into another hotel just down the road (now this I welcomed as I was not looking forward to staying the night at his hotel). But what he asked of us was shocking. He told us to pay him an extra £10! This I did not understand as, being booked in another hotel, we were not using any of his facilities. He told us that he had paid them the money but, as it was more expensive, we had to pay him the difference. As a customer that was let down by misinformation, I was expecting a discount or some sort of complimentary service from him (a big hotel chain would do this) but he charges us! One thing that was better news was that the woman who was running the hotel we got booked into was understanding and offered us continental breakfast on the house. This was not her problem and yet she offered us something whilst the man charges us for his mistake! I was just glad to not have stayed in his hotel, not to mention the hotel we ended up staying at was much cleaner and nicer than Goodwood hotel.
Goodwood is a BAD BAD BAD hotel with TERRIBLE service, AVOID if you can.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ace_wl
Reviewed September 12, 2012

During the morning before i got to the hotel to check in, I received a phone call from the hotel, saying whether it is okay that the room has a shared shower, I replied yes. This phone call should be made more earlier than it is too late to cancel, he said when will I arrive, I answered after 12pm.
When I arrived at the hotel at 1pm, and the person at the reception said I cancelled, he stated I rang up and said I cancelled, there is evidence of my call log that I didn't make this phone call. He kept saying I cancelled and then going from he received the call to his colleague receiving the call. So he was lying on some terms, we wasn't going to leave without a solution, Then he mentioned there was a room, but he needs it cleared and tell the people to move out, which mentions he was going to kick them out, but that room wasn't used it was more like a storage room, so the room wasn't acceptable.
However, he said the room will be cleaned after 4pm and we rang up and he said come back after 5pm and we will discuss, when we got there he outbooked us into another hotel, and wanted another £10 added payment, do not understand the reason for this payment and there was no compensation for this terrible service, whereas the other hotel : Albany Hotel just 2 doors down was our hosting hotel even compensated us breakfast because of the hassle we went through, which she didn't need to.
Definitely not going to book with this hotel again, as it will mysteriously cancel your booking

Room Tip: Do have a good look at reviews before booking. Don't judge only by pictures, have a look at othe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Onnie H
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed there last weekend the shower was dirty there was ripped and stained curtains the carpet in the room wasnt hoovered there was even someones toenail on the floor and we paid £59 for the night! I would never stay there again

• Stayed: September 2012