Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Doubletree
$144
$133
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$109
$286
$276
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Well, where do I start... My mum, sister and myself booked into this hotel for 3 nights in the middle of July '13. We have stayed in many hotels and have never been so disgusted.

- We booked into a triple room (expecting 3 single beds) bit instead we got a double and a single crammed together in a tiny box room.
- After 30 mins of being in bed on the first night I had to sleep on the floor as the single bed was ridden with bed bugs and all my exposed skin was bitten. I therefore spent 3 nights sleeping on a hard wooden floor.
- The staff at the hotel are terrible, they don't give a damn. And god forbid should you make a complaint they are threatening and abusive and certainly make no effort to rectify any issues.
- On the website it states that there is a bar and pool table, that's a lie.
- enjoy your breakfast, it consists of one choice of cereal, a boiled egg (cold), toast and coffee.

I could go on forever complaining about this hotel. Please follow my advice, stay well away!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 1, 2013

If I could rate this hotel any less than 1 then I would give it a minus..
The place is dirty from the moment you step inside the front entrance door!
Images on the website have most definitely been photoshopped, staff are arrogant and ignorant.
Our room felt creepy dirty and bed linen looked disgustingly dirty. Gaps in the floor boards would cut your feet if you were brave enough to take your socks off! Steer clear of this hotel if you are planning on enjoying a break away.
Also most importantly, always check Trip Advisor before booking any hotel, unfortunately for us I didn't take my own advice on this occasion!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This dump has got to be the worst excuse of a hotel that I have ever stayed in.
Staff are ignorant and the place is filthy from top to bottom.
It's website and the website of hotel companies that advertise it as a hotel should be done for false advertising.

What can I say that is good about this hotel? well nothing except for its location.

Avoid like the plague, it's the type of hotel in which you could pick it up.

It ruined our two nights in a great city.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank PatEnright
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in... I am not young and I did travel a lot. I am not writing this note to criticize the hotel but to rather share my experience with those who might be looking into staying this hotel. If you do not care of taking showers nor to sleep in almost uninviting if not repulsive rooms with windows that do not close, then you might be able to stay in that hotel. During my first interaction with the receptionist I was shockingly surpised by his unprofessional, rude, sarcastic and dirsepectful manners (I needed to mention them all!) The room was on the 5th floor, but the elevator that has a three-person capacity (may be with one piece of luggage at your own risk?) goes up only to the 4th floor. The room was not inviting, if not repulsive. The window did not close, there was no water in the shower !!! the safe box had a key rather than a locker with a personal security code. There was an old trashy large old metal box left in the room. The TV hanging on the wall did not have a remote control,..... I complained about the water and requested a remote control, was promised but was deceived by the receptionist's lies. Tried to be positive and make the best out of the circumstances. However, during my short stay in that hotel my brother had an open heart surgery and I my problems mobile phone was not working. I explained my situation to the receptionist/owner but I was not allowed to make a long distance phone call from the hotel to France! and when I wanted to contact my daughter who was staying in the same neighborhood, I was told that local telephone services are not offered in that hotel! After 2 days without a shower, I was very gratelful to my daughter and her friend to find me a room in another hotel. When they called me in the morning to come and pick me up, my daughter she was told that I had checked out, though I was still standing by the door, a few feet from the receptionist wainting for her. My daughter was right when she chose not to stay with me!So I can say that besides its location close to Paddington station, everything else about this hotel is BAD, BAD, BAD.

Room Tip: Don't even think about it
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The "professional" photos shown are quite deceptive. This is a very old building seriously in need of renovation. We booked online for arrival in mid June. We were told our room was not ready on arrival and that we should store our luggage in a basement room and come back later. We reluctantly left the luggage in a room with a lot of other luggage. I believe this was also the breakfast area since I saw food left on a table. We were given a room on the 4th floor. The bedding seemed somewhat clean though there was only a sheet between us and the mattress which was not very comfortable. Pillows were awful. The bed cover was a duvet cover over a blanket. The floor boards were coming up and the coffee service table was untidy. We were afraid to use the kettle.

The bathroom had been renovated, but the tile floors were very slippery. The water went out during my shower. We were given clean towels, but had to purchase washcloths from a nearby market. The housekeeper questioned our request for additional soap. The desk staff was not particularly friendly, especially after we registered, and always seemed to be preoccupied at the computer. Somewhat creepy. After 2 days without TV we finally asked how much a remote would cost. The guy at the desk, just smirked and handed us one. There is no free wi-fi. We used an internet service a couple of doors down but it was a very slow dinosaur of a computer and the guy there was of no help.

There was no air conditioner, though it was still rather cool during mid June. I tried opening the window, but the ledge was covered in pigeon poop. We never bothered to go to breakfast, but there were several very reasonable restaurants and cafes nearby that served good food. The elevator broke on our last day and we had to haul luggage down 4 floors. The hotel's location is good being near Paddington Station and walking distance to Hyde Park. Like most cities there was noise from traffic and sirens. The most noise came from the family in the room next door, since both rooms were in a corner, the doors were only inches apart.

I cannot recommend this hotel and would not stay there again. Unless you are a broke traveling student and don't care about amenities, do not waste your time or money!

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family