WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“We had to use the bathroom from another room & the receptionist shouted at me!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ascot Hyde Park Hotel

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #1,010 of 1,077 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We came to London for a weekend and had to pay £100 a night for two nights at this hotel. And what a rip-off this place was!

Here's what's wrong:

- We were put in a room on the 5th floor. It was clearly recently renovated by shabbily. e.g. the new fake-wood flooring was clearly laid over previous-existing carpet and was uneven. The toilet door couldn't be closed because someone's mounted a TV over the toilet door frame! And get this : If you wanted the remote for the TV, you had to pay a £20 deposit for it! If not, then you'll just to deal with the wonky buttons on the TV (don't turn the volume up or you might never be able to turn it down!)

- The radiator was boiling and couldn't be turned off. We had to call reception and ask them to come up with their toolbox to fix the problem.

- The doors and the walls are super thin and we were woken up at 2am and then again at 4am when the guests from the rooms around us came back. Aside from the fact that we could hear every word of their conversation, the doors really do slam.

- The next morning, when we wanted to have a shower before heading out, we realised that there was no water pressure at all and therefore all we could get is a dribble of freezing water.
My husband went down and spoke to the receptionist, who then arranged for us to have a shower in a room on the 2nd floor whose occupants had just checked out. The room was of course still uncleaned and in a bit of a mess, and although the bathroom looked like it wasn't really used by the previous occupants, the bath itself was in such a bad condition that I even hesitated putting my foot on it...and the shower curtain...ew! You really wouldn't want it touching your body!

- The lift takes only 3 people at a time in a hotel that takes more than 50 guests. And it takes ages to arrive (you might wait up to 20 minutes at a busy time). Being 6 months pregnant and on the 5th floor (BTW there is no lift on the 5th floor, it only goes up to the 4th), this was a major inconvenience, having to traipse up and down the stairs because we were in a rush to go out.

- The reception staff (especially one in particular) is extremely rude. When I complained about the shower situation and the lift, saying, 'This is unacceptable. I'm 6 months pregnant and I have to go up and down your stairs trying to find a shower that I can use...' and he started yelling at me, saying that I should get out. That he didn't want me there for another night and I can have my money for my 2nd night back. He threatened again and again to kick us out, and my husband eventually calmed him down and negotiated that they gave us another room for our 2nd night there.

-The 2nd room they gave us on the 2nd floor was even worse then the first. The only saving grace was that the shower was working.

- They do not give plugs for their baths. Their reasoning is many guests have overflowed the bathtubs. And TBH, the bath was as horrid as the one we used that morning...you wouldn't want to sit in it.

- The bedsheets were in dubious condition. I really was concerned about having my skin in contact with any of it.

- The bed in the 2nd room was right by the window and if you drew the curtains, the curtains would be in your face. And judging from the condition of the curtains, I guarantee you wouldn't want it in your face. So we could shift so that our feet were dangling out of the bed, or sleep with the curtains open so that the sun shines straight on our face when daylight came.

-The radiator in the 2nd room, like in the 1st room, was boiling when we arrived. Thank goodness this one, we were able to turn down by ourselves after some huffing and puffing.

- Forget having extra pillows. You each get one thin pillow and that's it. Being pregnant and needing an extra pillow to put between my legs to support my belly, this was a major inconvenience.

- After having a look at the breakfast room, we are glad we didn't pay for breakfast there. It looked really dirty and minimalistic - and not in a good way.

I could go on and on.
This was certainly the worst hotel I had ever been to,
and the shouting experience with the reception staff left such a bad taste in my mouth that I really really dreaded going back there for our 2nd night.

We did consider moving hotels, but because we were there for a conference and would not have had time to traipse around the city with our suitcases looking for another hotel in what was a very busy period for London, we had to grit our teeth and bear it.

We really couldn't wait to get out the next morning though. Never have checked out of a hotel in such a hurry!

Room Tip: The shower and water flow in Room 503 is not working. Neither is the control on the radiator. And t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ChiaSCH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

between the 15th and the 18th of april 2013 i was a guest of hotel ascot hyde park hotel.

on check out at 09.50 of thursday the 18th of april 2013 i requested my receipt for the room charge had been promptly paid upon my checking in on the 15th of april and that my suitcase should be kept safely in the store room.

i was told that they would charge £5 for storing my lugage. i was astonished that i would be even charged and complained that this should not be the case.

the receptionist, a very big guy twice my size, tried to force me to read the hotel policy that i refused. he went round the reception desk and started abusing me and trying to hit me and kicking me. i managed to place my suitcase between the receptionist/assaultant and myself preventing me to be injured. the receptionist followed me all the way to the street assaulting me.

i had to run away from the hotel and never got my receipt for the charges at the hotel.

i must stress that at no time was i rude or aggressive with anyone and only showed displeasure at being charged for everything in the hotel.

later on at 11.15 (54 seconds call) i received a call on my private telephone by someone from the hotel i could not identify threatening me further.

this incident has been reported to the london metropolitan police at paddington green police station.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel please read my review
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Leslie M

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Leicester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Floorboards in the room uneven; broken window lock;graffiti in the lift. The shower cut out three times in a short period. Very close to Paddington Underground and National Rail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SKL1976
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in the hotel the day before yesterday-the toilet flush wasn't working very well, bathtub was quite slippery, the telephone wasn't connected , no remote for theTV and no fridge. I decided not to make a fuss then (my mistake) as it was a question of just a night and the offer price 30 pounds appeared decent (given the location).I also had to shell out 2 pounds and a bit more for a terrible wi-fi connection.

What really got me was when I asked the receptionist next morning if I could check out an hour or two later given my late flight departure.He didn't give me any consideration or flexibility. I agreed I could pay for another night but remarked that the service offered was rather low even for that price. He then got angry and said this was simply not done -I wasn't given the option of even paying for an additional days stay now and was ordered to leave the hotel immediately. I was shocked by his rudeness and asked him for time to pack up declaring I would never return to the hotel which I will not. He was the rudest, most inconsiderate receptionist I've met in all my years of travelling! To be fair, the person sitting there the evening before was much more polite. Granted the location of the hotel is good but I will not return even if I'm offered a couple of free nights stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maheshgva
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

A very old and dirty hotel, the pictures on the website are not real, breakfast was of poor quality, restaurant was located in a very dirty basement, the rooms without any facilities which was mentioned in the site: no refrigerator, door lock was not safe, very strange that for access to the slow internet you have to pay 2.5 per hour. Its not a standard hotel. the only good thing was the location. the worst hotel i have ever experienced. not recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anahita86
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I could constantly hear the lift going up and down all night thank god it wasn't busy on our floor as we could hear everything from the hall way as there was a gap between the door and floor of approx 2inches there was no carpet on the floor so our shoes echoed around the room. The lift only had room for 3 people with childish doodles and sratches. and turns out the cleaning staff in the morning want to share the lift with you and 2big bags of toilet roll with no excuse me or do you mind! We had one pillow each and the duvet was a thick blanket shoved into a worn and tired out duvet cover. To make our kettle work we had to manually hold the button in till it had boiled. The bathroom was brand new with no skirting board and an oversized tap and cabinet that you couldn't open for the toilet. Breakfast well what a disaster when I asked whether there was any white bread left I got a shrug not no sorry we have ran out just a shrug! As I bit into a boiled egg it was grey so grey it may as well have been black I had to spit it out which was so embarrassing! There was no fresh milk just the small cartons. It's a great location and we did pop to a pub on the corner which has rooms from£19 called the pride of paddington I would def try there but as for ascot if I had the choice between a wet cardboard box and ascot I'd go for the box!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hay_c_c
Northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Room was clean and very basic. More like a bedsit, included a washing maching and cooker. Stairs up to the room looked very unappealing but website stated that refurbishment was in progress.

A little noisy with rumbling from underground tubes but there is nothing that the hotel could do about this.

Ideal location for exploring London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple