“warning - you should read this”

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #993 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Brussels, Belgium
“warning - you should read this”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

between the 15th and the 18th of april 2013 i was a guest of hotel ascot hyde park hotel.

on check out at 09.50 of thursday the 18th of april 2013 i requested my receipt for the room charge had been promptly paid upon my checking in on the 15th of april and that my suitcase should be kept safely in the store room.

i was told that they would charge £5 for storing my lugage. i was astonished that i would be even charged and complained that this should not be the case.

the receptionist, a very big guy twice my size, tried to force me to read the hotel policy that i refused. he went round the reception desk and started abusing me and trying to hit me and kicking me. i managed to place my suitcase between the receptionist/assaultant and myself preventing me to be injured. the receptionist followed me all the way to the street assaulting me.

i had to run away from the hotel and never got my receipt for the charges at the hotel.

i must stress that at no time was i rude or aggressive with anyone and only showed displeasure at being charged for everything in the hotel.

later on at 11.15 (54 seconds call) i received a call on my private telephone by someone from the hotel i could not identify threatening me further.

this incident has been reported to the london metropolitan police at paddington green police station.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel please read my review
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Leslie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leicester
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Floorboards in the room uneven; broken window lock;graffiti in the lift. The shower cut out three times in a short period. Very close to Paddington Underground and National Rail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SKL1976

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in the hotel the day before yesterday-the toilet flush wasn't working very well, bathtub was quite slippery, the telephone wasn't connected , no remote for theTV and no fridge. I decided not to make a fuss then (my mistake) as it was a question of just a night and the offer price 30 pounds appeared decent (given the location).I also had to shell out 2 pounds and a bit more for a terrible wi-fi connection.

What really got me was when I asked the receptionist next morning if I could check out an hour or two later given my late flight departure.He didn't give me any consideration or flexibility. I agreed I could pay for another night but remarked that the service offered was rather low even for that price. He then got angry and said this was simply not done -I wasn't given the option of even paying for an additional days stay now and was ordered to leave the hotel immediately. I was shocked by his rudeness and asked him for time to pack up declaring I would never return to the hotel which I will not. He was the rudest, most inconsiderate receptionist I've met in all my years of travelling! To be fair, the person sitting there the evening before was much more polite. Granted the location of the hotel is good but I will not return even if I'm offered a couple of free nights stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maheshgva
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A very old and dirty hotel, the pictures on the website are not real, breakfast was of poor quality, restaurant was located in a very dirty basement, the rooms without any facilities which was mentioned in the site: no refrigerator, door lock was not safe, very strange that for access to the slow internet you have to pay 2.5 per hour. Its not a standard hotel. the only good thing was the location. the worst hotel i have ever experienced. not recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anahita86
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I could constantly hear the lift going up and down all night thank god it wasn't busy on our floor as we could hear everything from the hall way as there was a gap between the door and floor of approx 2inches there was no carpet on the floor so our shoes echoed around the room. The lift only had room for 3 people with childish doodles and sratches. and turns out the cleaning staff in the morning want to share the lift with you and 2big bags of toilet roll with no excuse me or do you mind! We had one pillow each and the duvet was a thick blanket shoved into a worn and tired out duvet cover. To make our kettle work we had to manually hold the button in till it had boiled. The bathroom was brand new with no skirting board and an oversized tap and cabinet that you couldn't open for the toilet. Breakfast well what a disaster when I asked whether there was any white bread left I got a shrug not no sorry we have ran out just a shrug! As I bit into a boiled egg it was grey so grey it may as well have been black I had to spit it out which was so embarrassing! There was no fresh milk just the small cartons. It's a great location and we did pop to a pub on the corner which has rooms from£19 called the pride of paddington I would def try there but as for ascot if I had the choice between a wet cardboard box and ascot I'd go for the box!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hay_c_c
Northampton
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Room was clean and very basic. More like a bedsit, included a washing maching and cooker. Stairs up to the room looked very unappealing but website stated that refurbishment was in progress.

A little noisy with rumbling from underground tubes but there is nothing that the hotel could do about this.

Ideal location for exploring London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkJules
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

No greeting from staff.
Lift full of vile grafitti.
Wardrobe broken.
Nails sticking out of the floor.
Unfinished bathroom.
Vile tasting water.
Light fittings not working.
General state of disrepair.
Bedding thin and cheap.
Didn't dare to try the "Continental breakfast".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends