New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ascot Hyde Park Hotel

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #989 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Brussels, Belgium
“warning - you should read this”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

between the 15th and the 18th of april 2013 i was a guest of hotel ascot hyde park hotel.

on check out at 09.50 of thursday the 18th of april 2013 i requested my receipt for the room charge had been promptly paid upon my checking in on the 15th of april and that my suitcase should be kept safely in the store room.

i was told that they would charge £5 for storing my lugage. i was astonished that i would be even charged and complained that this should not be the case.

the receptionist, a very big guy twice my size, tried to force me to read the hotel policy that i refused. he went round the reception desk and started abusing me and trying to hit me and kicking me. i managed to place my suitcase between the receptionist/assaultant and myself preventing me to be injured. the receptionist followed me all the way to the street assaulting me.

i had to run away from the hotel and never got my receipt for the charges at the hotel.

i must stress that at no time was i rude or aggressive with anyone and only showed displeasure at being charged for everything in the hotel.

later on at 11.15 (54 seconds call) i received a call on my private telephone by someone from the hotel i could not identify threatening me further.

this incident has been reported to the london metropolitan police at paddington green police station.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel please read my review
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Leslie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Floorboards in the room uneven; broken window lock;graffiti in the lift. The shower cut out three times in a short period. Very close to Paddington Underground and National Rail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank SKL1976

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed in the hotel the day before yesterday-the toilet flush wasn't working very well, bathtub was quite slippery, the telephone wasn't connected , no remote for theTV and no fridge. I decided not to make a fuss then (my mistake) as it was a question of just a night and the offer price 30 pounds appeared decent (given the location).I also had to shell out 2 pounds and a bit more for a terrible wi-fi connection.

What really got me was when I asked the receptionist next morning if I could check out an hour or two later given my late flight departure.He didn't give me any consideration or flexibility. I agreed I could pay for another night but remarked that the service offered was rather low even for that price. He then got angry and said this was simply not done -I wasn't given the option of even paying for an additional days stay now and was ordered to leave the hotel immediately. I was shocked by his rudeness and asked him for time to pack up declaring I would never return to the hotel which I will not. He was the rudest, most inconsiderate receptionist I've met in all my years of travelling! To be fair, the person sitting there the evening before was much more polite. Granted the location of the hotel is good but I will not return even if I'm offered a couple of free nights stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maheshgva
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A very old and dirty hotel, the pictures on the website are not real, breakfast was of poor quality, restaurant was located in a very dirty basement, the rooms without any facilities which was mentioned in the site: no refrigerator, door lock was not safe, very strange that for access to the slow internet you have to pay 2.5 per hour. Its not a standard hotel. the only good thing was the location. the worst hotel i have ever experienced. not recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anahita86
Northampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Room was clean and very basic. More like a bedsit, included a washing maching and cooker. Stairs up to the room looked very unappealing but website stated that refurbishment was in progress.

A little noisy with rumbling from underground tubes but there is nothing that the hotel could do about this.

Ideal location for exploring London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank MarkJules
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

No greeting from staff.
Lift full of vile grafitti.
Wardrobe broken.
Nails sticking out of the floor.
Unfinished bathroom.
Vile tasting water.
Light fittings not working.
General state of disrepair.
Bedding thin and cheap.
Didn't dare to try the "Continental breakfast".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DizzyNo1
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Cheap at 30 for the night
Cheaper than the 100 taxi home
I think I got a newly refurbished room so not bad decor wise
Clean- ish! There was a small #2 left in the toilet on arrival and hair -not mine
Shower- no hot water
Corridors smelt of deep heat an some other strange smell
Still it was -2 outside so didn't freeze to death