“Best avoided”

Ascot Hyde Park Hotel
Ranked #1,008 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 22, 2012

If all you want is a bed and a bathroom, that's what you're getting. This wouldn't have been an issue as I wasn't looking to spend a long time in the room. I was, however, looking for somewhere to safely leave my things - that was not on offer. On returning to my room after my first night, i returned to find people loudly (and badly) reflooring the corridor outside and my door was unlocked and ajar.

Once checked in staff didn't speak to you at all, and just stared as though you were interrupting by walking past.

My window didn't fit the frame and so it was very loud all the time.

The bath was also very slippy and I fell both mornings.

Unsafe, unfriendly and unpleasant.

Room Tip: I don't imagine you'll find a "good" room but they're obviously refurbishing s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Upon complaints about the lack of water from the taps, the filthy bedding and the broken lights and plugs, the staff showed no interest and offered no compensation. If I´d been offered a refund I wouldn´t have felt any need to write this complaint publicly. Because of this hotel´s lack of ambition to keep customers happy, I wouldn´t recommend anyone to try this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Don't go there if you think you are going to a half decent hotel. Though I have to admit that the bed sheets and towels where clean, and there was plenty of hot water. However the breakfast was dire, tables where not cleaned when other guests! had finished, unfriendly staff, the hotel is in desperate need of a complete refurb.

1  Thank gwelshlad
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here at Saturday night with my wife daughter and friend in one room. It looks ok from the outside and by the entrance. Don't be deceived by it. The elevator wall was encrypted with all kinds of slogans my three year old daughter should not see. Example: "[--] the polace". Guess this hotel is not a place were to intelligent people stay. Near our room on the fourth floor was a pile of tiles. Guess the renovation of the hotel was not finished yet. Than there is the room. Lights above beds do not work. Wood is sticking out of the floor. Badroom door does not lock. There is mold on the walls. The place looks like a [--] prison. We survived the night. In the morning we went to the breakfast room. It was a total dump with some Polish immigrants working there. Some people got really excited by the breakfast, overcooked eggs with white bread. I justed wanted to go out of the place as soon as possible. When it finally was time to leave this horrible hotel I gave my key to the Indian guy at reception. He did not even look up from his computer. Guess he was watching some hot ladies on the internet or something. Conclusion: This hotel is a total dump. Never go here. I wonder if they ever heard of hotel inspectors in London. I guess not. This hotel is a shame for the nice city of London. It would be best if it would be closed.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Been working away all my life and stopped in hundreds of hotels, this is probably the worst. Basically its a bed in a kitchen! A bed that is on a slant....
Room 710, fourth floor, can still feel and hear the subway. The room isnt part of the hotel but a little way up the street.
I know that central heating boilers arent allowed in bedrooms yet I can nearly touch it from the bed.
Asked to change rooms, no help at all. Bloke behind the desk spoke decent English when I booked in but all of a sudden couldnt understand a word.
Basically its no better than a squat! Stay away.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Redjack99
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I chose this 'Hotel' because of it's location, I'm familiar with the Paddington area and I've previously enjoyed pleasant stays there but this dump has to be the single worst 'hospitality' experience of my entire life and I'm almost seventy.

When I managed to find the place I entered the reception area to find the desk unattended as the 'receptionist' was outside on the street enjoying what turned out to be a leisurely cigarette and mobile phone break. When he ended his break and returned to the front desk to deal with my check-in he was rude in the extreme and curtly advised me that the hotel was fully booked and I would have to stay in "The Annex". The receptionist seemed to be Eastern European and his English language skills were limited, but his body language was international and spoke volumes.

I was shown the door to "The Annex" and advised that my room was on the "second floor", after dragging my 20 kilo suitcase up five flight of stairs managing to negotiate the almost homicidal hazards presented by the stair and hallway 'carpet' I arrived at my "second floor room" 507. The two lower floors of "The Annex" were occupied by a restaurant so I assume that the owners of the 'hotel' only start counting the floors from the level that they occupy, though it seemed a little strange that though the room number indicated the true floor level of the room, the receptionist seemed unaware of it's actual location. The 'receptionist' also didn't offer any help with my suitcase, I guess as my room was only 'on the second floor', he felt that no help would be needed. The hotel does advertise that it has an elevator, though of course this level of 'luxury' does not extend to "The Annex". Though the staff had done all they could to ease my passage by wedging open the fire doors.

Once I and my suitcase had negotiated the five flights of stairs to the 'second floor' I had a chance to examine my accommodation, the room was identified by the home made paper sign on the door, which turned out to be a great indicator of what to expect behind the door. The room contained a double bed though if there had been two people in the room, one would have had to climb over the other to get into and out of the bed. A very small T.V. set lacking a remote and with limited channels decorated one wall and a small bedside cabinet that had long since seen better days was by the access side of the bed. I ventured to open one of the drawers of the cabinet and found a supermarket receipt dated Dec 2011, the date of my visit was Oct 2012. Apart from a very amateurishly constructed clothes hanging rail, complete with six or seven wire coat hangers, this was the full compliment of the rooms furniture.

The bed appeared to have clean sheets and pillow cases, but when I pulled back the very grubby looking bedspread, the only other bedding was what appeared to be an old army blanket. Anyone who like myself, has served in the armed forces will be very aware of the quality and finish of the said blanket. I was concerned that the poor quality of the bedding might keep me awake, but I had no need to worry, my insomnia had already been guaranteed by the fact that the single glazed window of my rooom overlooked a main road leading both to Paddington station, where they are working almost full time to dig a new underground tunnel and St Mary's Hospital. So the entire night was spent tossing and turning whilst trying to decide whether the poor condition of the army blanket or the almost constant scream of emergency sirens was making the greater contribution to my sleepless state.

The shower was almost too awful for words, it's only redeeming quality was that there was toilet paper in the holder. Some of the tiles in the floor had been broken for some considerable time, when I say broken I don't mean chipped, or cracked, I mean broken as in several loose pieces. As an ex maintenance man I can only marvel at the patience of the housekeeping staff who must have had to rearrange all the broken pieces into their correct position every time the room has been occupied. The only 'light' in the shower was what seemed to be a two candle power halogen jobby , which while being to low powered to shave with or apply make-up surely served to hide more of the rooms undoubted faults.

I'm only 5'7" tall and small build but in order for me to use the toilet I had to sit with the hand basin under my chin. Reaching for the toilet paper and 'performing the necessary' while sat on the commode seat made me realise just how flexible I am for a man of my age. Though I managed to use the toilet, I drew the line at attempting to use the shower. The shower cubical was raised almost a foot off the floor and as there was no foot towel the thought of slipping while exiting the cubical and slicing of a couple of toes on the razor sharp edges of the broken tiles made me err on the side of caution.

The next morning I was down to breakfast bright and early, well at least I was early, not having slept and being unable to either shower or shave ensured that I wasn't feeling at all "bright". What can I say about breakfast...... :) First of all let me start with a positive, the coffee was pretty good in fact I thought it was excellent, though as I'd just spent a sleepless night waiting for the coffee shop to open I might have been biased. The rest of the breakfast seemed to consist solely of bread, jams and hard boiled eggs. There was a single toaster but I really didn't have the time to stand in line to use it. The hard boiled eggs were definitely hard boiled but had not been placed into cold water after boiling so were almost impossible to peel. To add insult to injury it seems that there was no salt for the eggs. The old culinary insult of "couldn't boil an egg' sprang to mind.

The only 'positives' I can write about this hovel, is that the coffee seemed half way decent and they stored my luggage once I had checked out. The rest of the experience was as described above.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jim_Lawrenson
Reviewed October 29, 2012

we arrived at this hotel at 12noon friday 26 oct 12 for a two night stay leaving on sun 28 oct 12
on arrival we checked in but was told in a not very nice way by the guy on reception to go away
and come back at 3pm and our room should be ready,so we went away and looked around the area(its near to paddington train station) after having some lunch and a hot drink(as it was very cold)we went back to hotel and was given our room key by the same grumpy guy and we went up to the room which was right at the top of the building and at the back so it was very quiet,in the room was a double and two single beds and a wardrobe with no doors and a small storage unit(and i do mean small) which is not a lot of storage space for four people,there was also a kettle and just two mugs for all of us plus the measly amount of tea/coffee/sugar and just one teaspoon,the beds only had two thin sheets and two thin blankets which is good if it was in north african resort but not good at all here in the u.k also the heating radiator was locked off so we could not have any heating at all,the only good thing to say about the room was the lamenated floor and the very good shower room with sink,w.c.the shower was huge as was the sink but both had very very hot water almost instantly(very good) but that is all i can say is good about the room,the corridors ans stairwells could do with a new paint job(they do have new carpets) but thats it,the lift is something out of the arc(very old and very slow/rickerty),the bar was none exsistant as was the pool table by that i mean you could not get a drink or have a game of pool as it was right up against the wall all the time and the bar was just full of junk not a pretty sight first thing in a morning or at any time,the breakfast room was in the same place(the bar area) again not very good and it was very very very cold down in that area(no heating),now for the breakfast well its advertised as a continental breakfast but all it was,was toast one choice of cerial and cold boiled eggs and jam with not very hot but very very strong coffee not good at all for a hotel in the western end of the centre of london and on the visit london website it had 4 stars
on the website we used it also had 4 stars and it is cirtenly not a 4 star(1 star at most if that),we paid over £200 for our stay and we are thinking about getting our money back as we paid via card
and have spoke to our legal advisers,all in all our stay was very very bad the only good point about this hotel is the shower room,so if you are thinking of staying at this hotel then dont spend a few pounds/dollars/euros more and stay somewhere else as we will never ever set foot in this place again it should be shut down by the city of westminster council(enviromental health) and it should be taken off the visit london website,we stayed out of hotel for most of the time we was there going on the original bus tours(t1yellow route and t2red route)as they take you passed all of londons historical and modern sights such as tower bridge/tower of london,houses of parliment/parliment sq,bigben,downing street,buckingham palace,the shard,st puals to mame a few they also go onto oxford st/regents st/leister sq/piccadillycircus/trafalger sq

Room Tip: dont stay here spend a little more and stay at a better hotel in same area or in sussex gardens
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family