“Great Hostel, Horrible Hotel”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #365 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you are expecting a hostel, then you will be pleasantly surprised by your room. We unfortunately were expecting a hotel. My husband and I found ourselves stuck in London an extra night when our train to Paris was delayed 24 hrs. Elmwood was close to St. Pancras Station where our train departed. This "hotel" is more like a house that's had bathrooms added to each bedroom. The room was teeny, tiny and COLD! Even with the radiator on hi for hours. I imagine in the summer it would be equally hot. Three beds were squished into the room, two extra narrow, and one hammock-y, "full sized" bed, with about a foot between each bed. The bathroom was miniscule, but in it's defense- spotless. However the plunger stood naked next to the toilet. Gross. The room itself was also clean, again, it would make a lovely hostel. Except for the ratty underblanket on each of the beds, the kind that collects hair. I can't tell you how many strands of hair I pulled off of myself afterwards. Oh, and we paid $201 for our lovely hostel experience :) Our fabulous hotel at Club Quarters in Trafalgar Square was less, granted that was with advanced booking. I've never been, but try Thistle Euston if you find yourself in that neck of the woods on short notice, the reviews seemed good.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear our Guest,
Let me first of all to thank you for your time that you spent to
Write your review on Tripadvisir,
Firstly please accept my deep apologies for the incoveience caused during your stay, let me explain
The fact to you that Elmwoid hotel, is a budget hotel in the city centre of London,
You booked a Quad room , room with 1 double and 2 single beds, en suite with breakfast and taxes
Which is 20 percent VAT and 24 percent city tax , which is £150 for this room is
Red able for the are, I am so sorry that you didn't like the standard,
But we advertise Elmwood hotel as a budget place, we are not a star rated,
But we take care if the cleaning very well and we try to improve our service year after year,
Please accept my regards from London, wishing you and your family all the best, and I hope to see you in the near future to thank you personaly for your feedback, which I will raise all your mentioned points to our Directors, to deal with as soon as possibile ,

Reviewed March 30, 2013

For the price, good value, comfortable room (not a lot of space but fine), friendly service, very convenient location, decent breakfast included, don't expect luxury, but I would come again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Dear our guest,
Thank you really for your smart , polite and positive
Feedback on tripadvoisir, we are truly glad the we managed
To satisfy you in order to provide the best hospitality ever
With our limited standard , we thank you for the stay and we wish
To see you again in the near future,
John Girgis

Reviewed March 25, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 21, 2013

no common room to sit save a stool in the hallway. Good Internet, cold room, and ok breakfast. I got what I paid for I guess, not more .. Otherwise good location near kings cross . .....................

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for adding you review on tripsdvisor website,
Regarding your stay at the London Elmwood hotel, I am so glad that
You were satisfy about your stay, except some small issues, just to inform you
That our central heating is 24 hours on, all you need to do us to turn the radiator on
In your room and control the temperature !! If you experienced problem with this issue , you
Should have asked our 24 hours reception to help, once again I am pleased to see
Your review and in behalf of Elnwood hotel, we would love to
See you again, John Girgis

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

If you're paying £50 for a London hotel, you shoudnt expect the Ritz.

The Elmwood is easily located, rooms are small but perfectly comfortable for a night's stay.

I was a little bemused that they don't trust you with the key and don't give you a key for the front door. Felt like I was back at my parents.

Its a great location and reasonably priced, just don't take your loved one on a romantic getaway here.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mark16roberts
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear our Guest, thank you very much for completeing the surveys on trip advisor website regarding you latest stay at The Elmwood hotel, I would like to thank you for your nice starter about the hotel room, and the location, we would love to welcoming you again, your security is our main priority during your stay with us, keeping your room keys at the front desk will protect you from loosing the keys outside and others might access the hotel or your room, we also have the 24 hours reception for extra security, we loved your comments and I would love to see you again and welcoming you personaly in our small family run bussiness. Yours truly John Girgis

Reviewed March 11, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anete P

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Rooms: small, noisy and oldfashioned, but clean.
Location: perfect nearby metro and busses. Shops and restaurants all around.
Breakfast: poor, too small for all guests.
Staff: not english but friendly

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Guest,
fist of all I would like to thank you very much for your feedback via trip adviser regarding your last stay at Elmwood hotel in London, just to bring your attention one more time that you booked at a top bed&breakfast hotel, as you mentioned the hotel is clean in a great location thank you for that, but do not expect the Ritz!! thank for your feedback about the Non English friendly staff, but I would love to inform you all our staff included the Day managers are British!! but I am happy that you were satisfy for the staff service.
I would love to welcoming you again at our small family run business Elmwood hotel.
John Girgis