“rude, arrogant, watered down coffee, going in to partnership w Tesco. Go to Wild & Wood coffee instead”
Review of Taylor St Baristas

Taylor St Baristas
Ranked #5,416 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: New Street's a cosy little pedestrianized haven that sneaks off the hustle and bustle of Bishopsgate. A stone's throw from Liverpool Street Station and Spitalfields Market, and in the shadow of the Gherkin, it's a cracking little site in the heart of the City that busted out its first espresso in July 2008.And with Taylor St's own kitchen upstairs, you'll find our drink menu matched with a feast of foodie favourites, including freshly baked cakes and muffins and banana bread, as well as an alliteratively sumptuous selection of sandwiches and salads.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

read great reviews bout this place in the mayfair magazine, when there twice. both times asked for a long black in the bigger cup, half filled. one of the staff decided that that is not what i wanted, instead gave me a smaller cup, filled to the bream. Go figure that!. Didn't make a fuss.

Next time asked for the same and again got even a worse thing. Extremely hot brown water was served so i got up and nicely asked them to re do it. Guy that makes a coffee, scruffy, unkept, long hair, eastern european peasant attitude, started arguing with me loudly so half of the place looked at me. to make that matter worse three other staff behind the counter got involved in the conversation telling me i should be having a plunger coffee. i have been having this sort of coffee for years, and i try to explain how it is usually made. no they or have PhD in it, and who the f* am i? i made i face and set down, after three of them all looked and with a spoon 'analysed the coffee'.
They finally remade my coffee close to what i wanted. Later on found out they are in partnership with supermarket Tesco and fill open starbucks type of joint all over london. too expensive and wait if time.
DONT be fooled with all the Australian reputation of coffee making, there were aussies there, but cheap european labour. they just wanna attract tourists and reap u off.

Go to wood and wild coffee instead, 1 New Oxford Street

Visited November 2012
3 Thank silverblonde34
Laura T, Owner at Taylor St Baristas, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hi Silverblonde34

I'm extremely sorry you had such a bad experience in one of our stores. There's no excuse for being rude and it sounds like they should have managed to create the type of coffee you were after quicker and with less fuss.

We employ baristas regardless of where they're from based on their passion for coffee. They all have to go through a training program which can take up to 6 months to complete and so although they do not have a PhD, they do tend to make a fair bit of coffee. With that said, there is no excuse to belittle or argue loudly with anyone, rather they ought to be trying to find out exactly the way you like it and trying to make it that way. Every coffee shop's recipes for various coffees are slightly different (for example we use 2 shots in our small flat white and 3 in our medium, but most places only use 1 and 2 shots) so sometimes it takes a little guesswork to find out what a customer wants.

Regarding a Tesco partnership, Taylor St is a totally separate company and is run by myself and my 2 brothers. We opened our first store almost 7 years ago and now have 9 stores. Last year we also started up a new chain of coffee shops with the aim of bringing better coffee to the high street and this company has been in part financed by Tesco. They have given us the opportunity to do something which we would never have been able to dream of doing on our own.

I hope you will accept this email in the spirit that it is made in - an apology and some sort of explanation about the way we do things.

If you are ever in the area again I hope you would pop in and have a coffee on us.

Regards,

Laura

Rome, Italy
“Ruined by pretentious and rude barista. Disappointing.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Visiting London on a yearly basis, I usually stop by this little espresso bar. Pity it was ruined by the pretentious behaviour and attitude of a barista recently when I asked him for some sugar. Last time I heard it was the customers choice. He could do with a couple of lessons in customer care, however I will not be returning. I also found the espresso overly short in length, more like a ristretto in quantity. They certainly were not serving coffee like this last year...shame though, another one bites the dust.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank J T
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent soy latte and service.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Really good soy latte (made with premium soy milk brand you dont find in many coffee shops). Also good service - we sat outside and the staff welcomed us in when a table became free.

• Visited July 2012
“South Quay”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I go here every morning for my coffee. It makes all other coffee taste disgusting. Lovely atmosphere, the staff are really friendly. It takes longer than most places to make the coffee, and it is slightly pricey, but that's because they put a lot of care into making each cup.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Fluffy B
“Heaven!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I love this place, the coffee, the food, the people! It has been a struggle to find anywhere that has managed to live up to how much I enjoyed popping in here for a latte of a morning! And as yet I am still looking. It becomes one of those places where everybody knows your name and they know exactly how you're feeling and what kind of mood you're in.

The breakfast pastries fill you up and ready your head for a long morning. The lunchtime treats of sandwiches, soups and salads are such a breath of fresh air compared to the usual offerings you get around a mainline station. And finally the cakes which provide a delicious indulgence are too good to miss but should carry an addictive warning! I especially loved the carrot cake.

If you have missed the train, are on your way to a meeting or if the walk to Brick lane seems far too long to manage without a smooth silky coffee, then stop by this hidden gem!

• Visited May 2012