“Bland pasta”

Ranked #1,498 of 23,041 Restaurants in London
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Blending European brasserie dishes and timelessly elegant surroundings, Browns Bar and Brasserie Covent Garden champions an informal yet refined concept. Renowned for indulgent twists on classic comfort food recipes, Browns has offered trademark favourites since 1973, as well as choices from the specials board or the market fresh fish of the day. Showcasing striking design features and historic or listed buildings, Browns restaurants are a refined yet relaxed dining spot, at any time of the day.
“Bland pasta”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a meal here saturday afternoon with my husband a d elderly parents. Good fast service from a friendly waitress.But the food was dis appointing. I had mushroom pappardelle which was tasteless. Though my father like well done steak his was to over done. Also the toilets are down a spiral stair case which was difficult for my father to assess as he walks with a stick. Browns is good place for a quick drink or cheap food but not for foodies.

• Visited September 2013
MikeyBagwell, Guest Relations Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Covent Garden, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I'm sorry to hear your recent visit to us was less than exceptional. Thank you for the feedback on your pasta. Its not a problem we've come across before so it's always good to hear when we can tweak our dishes to get them tastier. In the meantime, if you're a foodie (or even if you're not!) our daily specials are available if you fancy something even more exciting!
The spiral staircase down to the toilets isn't for everyone which is why we have other toilet facilities which you can access via a lift. I'm sorry you weren't informed of this at the time.
Thank you again for your review, we look forward to seeing you again for a bit of better pasta.

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Met friends for dinner at the Browns in Covent Garden last night....wish I'd read these reviews before going.

The truth is that this place fails in most areas.

* Service is terrible. I think servers are overworked or the restaurant is understaffed. They never come by and when one finally flags a server down they seem astonished that you need assistance. Bizarre.

* Food takes forever to arrive. Forever. It took at least 1 hour to get dinner.

* Food itself is average at best. The bread starter, while pretty to look at, was dry and stale. The penne with tomato sauce was just...wrong. (Ragu makes a better sauce.) Others in our group had the fish and chips and chicken breast, which seemed okay. I had the house salad, which I requested without edamame. Which of course came with edamame.

* Ambiance is okay. But this place is VERY loud. So loud I couldn't hear half of what the person next to me was saying.

The Bottom Line: Not sure why this place is so busy, aside from the fact that it's a great location. We definitely won't be back. Total let down.

Visited September 2013
Mikey B, Guest Relations Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Covent Garden, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry to hear your experience was let down in so many areas. We pride ourselves on both the speed and efficiency of our service and I'm saddened to find you were constantly left wanting.
It sounds like you came on quite the busy night! Staff should never be overstretched and as for looks of surprise; I'm very disappointed.
We have guide times by which each course is to be ready, we must redouble our efforts on improving our capabilities to deliver these times, especially when we're busy. Our new Head Chef begins next month to sort out any kinks and has an excellent track record.
If you would take the time to send me your e-mail address I would very much like to offer you an incentive to try us once more. My e-mail address is david.leatham@mbplc.com.
Mikey Bagwell and David Leatham
(Guest Relations & General Managers)
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We came as a group to this restaurant and I thought the food we were served was really good. I had a steak with a nice Malbec followed by Tiramisu -service was prompt (though we had pre-ordered) and the range of drinks on offer was great. It was a bit busy at 18:30 but cleared out when the Theatres opened up. Great way to start a night out….

Visited August 2013
Great to hear about your time here, especially that the pre-ordering worked well, it's always a good idea with groups.
Hopefully we'll see you all again soon for some more Malbec (or maybe a couple of our signature cocktails)!
Thank you for the review.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Nice! The rest of Covent gardens burning down”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to browns,as Covent garden was out of bounds! We wanted a bit to eat before seeing the jersey boys. We had a lovely welcome and shown to a table for four. A while later we were asked if we wanted drinks, by this time we had also decided on what we wanted to eat! Three roasts were ordered and a trout, it's a lovely relaxed atmosphere and pleasant staff. The food arrived we noticed on one of the roasts that a Yorkshire pud was missing, this was soon corrected once pointed out to the very helpful waiter, after our meal I mentioned the asparagus was missing from my meal, again the waiter apologised and with this the bill was adjusted by £5, which we accepted. A note to the chef check your meals before they leave the kitchen! Thanks to the great staff we had a lovely meal and a pleasant experience. £100 for four with drinks not bad for London.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Sunday Roasts, I wait all week, my anticipation building for a good big Yorkshire pud. with gravy and all the trimmings!
We look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Pittsburgh, PA
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Our food came out with the first round of drinks. We probably waited 10 minutes at our table before being greeted and there were many open tables. Burger and fish and chips were good. I would not wonder out of my way for this place.

• Visited September 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your recent disappointment. We always strive to give prompt and efficient service and the delay of your drinks is clearly something we need to address. Whether it was a busy time of day or not, it is unacceptable to be left waiting.
Thank you for taking time to review us.