“Ok!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Wolfe's Bar & Grill
Ranked #12,751 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Ok!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Booked on line as not from London as a place to eat near the New London Theatre before the show.

The decor feels like you are in the 1980's it is in serious need of a face lift. You also feel you are squashed in a bit and very close together.

Service was ok and the food was quick, however I do not agree with having to pay service charge of 13%, I would like to choose what service to pay, this adds quite a bit to your bill so remember when ordering.

Food itself was ok, just not amazing, everything seems deep fried, back to the 80's again and the vegetables that come with the food were not good, a pile of mush would be how I described mine.

Overall it wasn't bad, just wouldn't race back in a hurry when there are so many other places in Covent Garden to eat.

• Visited December 2012

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I popped in here after work one Friday with the GF. It's a nice lay out. Very much like the type of places you see in the States in terms of long narrow bar area.

We both ordered different types of burgers. They specifically ask how you want it cooked. Which is nice as you often aren't asked this for burgers. Anyway, they were brought out and we tucked in. A bit or two in I realised they had mixed up our cooking instructions. I got a bloody burger. My GF got the Medium one. I brought it to the attention of the waitress, who's response was pretty much "ahh well...I am not sure what happens in the kitchen". So I told her to make sure she tells the manager and the kitchen. The manager offered to take them back - not very enthusiastically, but we had already waited quite a long time for them to come out in the first place. And couldn't really afford to wait around any longer, as we had plans.

The manager didn't charge for our round of drinks and didn't charge the service charge. Which was wise, cause I wasn't going to pay it if it had been on the menu.

Overall, this ruined the entire experience and I wouldn't return.

• Visited October 2012
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“A waitress that forgets she has customers?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Chose Wolfe's as really fancied a steak meal. Arrived about 7:30pm on a Thursday evening without a reservation and asked the waitress if there was a table available. When she said she was going to check, I said we'd grab a drink at the bar. After a short while I managed to catch the same waitresses' eye and it was obvious she'd forgotten about us. She came over apologized and said she'd be back... Believe it or not, this happened 3 times. In my mind any restaurant you visit is as much about the service as it is about the food...

We eventually gave up, paid for the drinks and left... So, whilst the food smelled really good, the service leaves a lot to be desired! Needless to say, when there are so many options in central London, I won't be trying this place again...

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
fylde
“Enjoyed the food and ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We pre-booked for an early dinner and had a really nice meal. The service was efficient and not too rushed. The set price menu two courses for £18.50 was great but the service charge was 12.5% which pushed the bill up. However for central London, we didn't feel it was too pricey. We liked the interior of the restaurant and would be happy to return again .

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Below Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

If you wish to take a trip down memory lane, say back to 1989 then this is the place for you as the decor is certainly retro and in desperate need of a face lift. I am all for the 'old and traditional' look, providing it is well kept with a pleasant vibe. This place has neither. 1989 is also probably a best guess as to when the carpet was last cleaned, as there was a lot of food and dirt that could be seen beneath the tables and on the chairs. I am not normally one to care much about the atmosphere in a restaurant (as long as the food is good), but if it is described as a cocktail bar and grill in central London I would expect a lot more in terms of ambiance.
I chose Wolfe's as it had some good reviews and is well known establishment in London, but it really lacked to impress. Despite reservations about the atmosphere (as already mentioned), we put that behind and went on to order our meals. This was also a huge let down. Although the steaks were cooked as ordered the quality of the meat was poor, very chewy and overpriced. I have been to a number of well-known steak places in London and had much better meals for more or less the same price.
All in all I can only compare the experience and quality to what I would expect from a lower end restaurant chain which is ideally located for a tourist trap.
It would be a shame to see a restaurant like Wolfe’s with such a long history, slipping in standards and I do hope that comments are noted in order to re-establish the quality that I can only assume founded the reputation.

• Visited November 2012