“Very impressive!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: For a slice of traditional London life, enjoy the fabled Brown's Afternoon Tea in our award-winning English Tea Room. Take your pick from over 17 teas - including Brown's own blend - and a selection of sandwiches, scones, cakes and pastries. The surroundings are a perfect blend of old and new. Original wood panelling and antique fireplaces sit comfortably with Paul Smith floor lamps and contemporary artwork.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My daughter booked this for her mum for Mother's Day. SE is celiac so has gluten free cakes and sandwiches. She had a whole cake stand for herself! Our table was booked for 4pm but they forgot about us waiting in the bar! They gave us a substantial discount for their mistake! Could not fault anything, n
Mind you, you pay for the privilege! If you have a special occasion go! Looking forward to Fathers Day!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Booked the afternoon tea for two. It is very much the experience you pay for - you are well looked after but the prices make it a 'special occasion' event for most of us rather than an everyday event. We spent £100+ a little for the tea plus some rose champagne, service etc.

I have to eat gluten free and I gave advance notice and Browns came up trumps! I had both white and brown gluten free bread with cucumber, salmon, coronation chicken and ham etc. fillings. The tray was replenished, too!

There were 5 or 6 gluten free cakes plus 5 gluten free scones with jam and cream; in fact a little too much for me to finish.

Service was attentive and the room ambience was very good. Toilets were very, very clean. My only (minor) compliant would be that my low level chair (which was able to swivel) was a little uncomfortable and seemed not to match some of the more comfortable looking wing chairs. Luck of the draw I suppose...

Overall a very enjoyable experience.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Wow - what an experience. From being whisked out of the taxi and greeted by a traditionally liveried concierge, escorted inside the hotel, coat and scarf taken and then accompanied into the bar to await the arrival of my daughter to join me for afternoon tea,... how pampered and valued did I feel!!! Bar staff went out of their way to make me feel at ease whilst I awaited my daughter who had been delayed. Within seconds of her arrival, we were taken to a lovely table and the whole, wonderful afternoon tea ritual began. The staff are exceptional - the service impeccable and nothing was too much trouble. We felt truly pampered and indulged. Choice of champagne and tea was offered and staff went to great lengths to describe each product.. No sooner had we finished a plate of sandwiches or cakes, than another was brought along for us until we had to cry "stop" - we can't eat any more!! Staff are utterly discreet, unobtrusive yet highly attentive and responsive to customers. This was a very, very special experience and I felt thoroughly spoilt. Will definitely pay a return visit and would highly recommend it. The most outstanding difference between Brown's and other similar Afternoon Tea experiences is that I felt completely at ease and very relaxed. I haven't felt the same in other establishments where the formality of the occasion has dominated. Can't recommend Brown's enough - I can't wait to return - daughter are you listening?????

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Being that this was my first trip to London (to England for that matter), I really wanted to experience High Tea. At the recommendation of a colleague, we made a reservation at the English Tea Room at Browns Hotel. Wow, what an experience. From the decor, to the service, to the food, my sister and I had a truly remarkable time. Our confirmation email said that we were allotted the table for 90 minutes, and we thought this would be plenty of time. We actually overstayed our welcome by 30 minutes, and did not feel in the least bit rushed. We sampled everything (I ordered the traditional tea, my sister ordered the Tea-tox), and were graciously given more when asked. The tea descriptions were very useful as we decided on a tea; my sister ordered the Ceylon and I ordered the Lapsang. We both LOVED our selections, and I was beyond thrilled when they gave us a sample of our tea leaves to take home with us! I also bought little tins of Browns Breakfast and Browns Afternoon teas as a reminder of this wonderful experience. Highly recommend!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I actually had a special detox menu this time, and my company had normal tea menu. Both were good, and you do not leave this tearoom hungry. Nice and calm place. We had done a lot of shopping and the staff took care of all bags and stuff while we enjoyed our tea.