“The Afternoon Tea I had hoped for”

The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel
Ranked #1,024 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: For a slice of traditional London life, enjoy the fabled Brown's Afternoon Tea in our award-winning English Tea Room. Take your pick from over 17 teas - including Brown's own blend - and a selection of sandwiches, scones, cakes and pastries. The surroundings are a perfect blend of old and new. Original wood panelling and antique fireplaces sit comfortably with Paul Smith floor lamps and contemporary artwork.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had the Festive Afternoon Tea with scones with jam and clotted cream, the various sandwiches and cake to finish. When one plate was finished, it was rapidly replenished. So although it looks expensive, it is actually very good value for money with quality and tasty food and tea in a friendly setting with observant staff. In all, the Afternoon Tea I had hoped for.

StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Your kind comments reflect what we strive for, attentive unobtrusive service and delicious Afternoon Tea in a friendly setting. I am pleased to know it was as you had hoped, and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

There are newer reviews for The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Comfortable chairs and sofas, beautiful setting. Last but not least the actual food that was what we were expecting; Wonderful and Amazing! Well worth the money.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked into Brown's for Christmas afternoon tea on 16 December. The staff were very welcoming, attentive and helpful, ie willing to turn off the fire that our table was right up against, bringing clean plates and replenishing tea etc. The type of teas chosen were not necessarily to our taste however that is an individual choice issue not the fault of the tea. The sandwiches were freshly made, delicious and plentiful for both vegetarian and non vegetarians. The scones - plain or with cranberry and orange peel - were also delicious though the jam too runny which made us all very sticky indeed. The little cakes were not that interesting nor were many of them very nice at all, for example: the meringue was like cardboard, another was a bland 'custard' type yet the little yule log was scrumptious. The miniature mince pie also delicious. Unfortunately the Christmas cake was very crumbly making it difficult to eat and the edge was burnt - I spoke to the waiter about this at the time and he was very apologetic saying he would notify the chef however that was the end of it All in all the standard was not what we expected of Brown's having been before and found it a faultless and wonderful experience. Sadly would hesitate to return.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with you. I am pleased to learn you enjoyed welcoming and attentive service and that your overall experience of afternoon tea was favourable. Your remarks about the cakes have been shared with our pastry chef. We change our offering of cakes and pastries on a regular basis and I do hope you will return to sample a different selection.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

All was going well with our festive afternoon tea experience on 9th December 2012: The sandwiches, pastries and choice of teas were splendid, accompanied by a couple of glasses of fizz, with my daughter and friend who was to celebrate her birthday the following day. The problems started when I tried to pay the bill...apparently there was a problem with my card although I was completely confident about the account etc so agreed to have them try again with this card, but this was also unsuccessful. Imagine my horror when another card I supplied was 'declined'!!!! By now, the other diners were starting to pay attention, turning around and I was mortified!
The staff took my details and promised to contact me the next day, regarding the outcome, after contacting the accounts dept. I was very uncomfortable: 2 credit cards had failed; I looked like I was trying to fraudulently use false credit cards or had no credit to support the payment; I was very scared to buy anything else for the rest of the day, even though we had travelled from Wigan in the north west of England for Christmas shopping and the Browns afternoon tea experience. I had also to try to explain all of this to my husband with whom I share these accounts, who was at home with my son.
There was no call from the staff by 5pm the next day, despite their promises. I contacted my credit card companies and was outraged to hear that the total bill of £201 had been debited from BOTH accounts the previous day! When I contacted Browns and was put through to the person with whom I had been dealing the previous day, she advised me that she had checked with accounts, the payments hadn't gone through and asked if she could put the payment through again?!!!
I obviously refused and explained that I had paid twice and wouldn't sanction a further payment and again said she would have to check with accounts. This time I insisted that she did it while I stayed on the line. I was in tears and my husband was horrified that we were being asked to pay £600 for afternoon tea for 3!!!!
Eventually accounts sorted out the problem and explained that there had been issues with the payment device and refunded the payment but the fact remains that this was meant to be a very special treat at a 5 star hotel and not only was the experience spoiled but so was the weekend and my husband and I had to spend several hours trying to sort it out!!! Errors can happen anywhere, of course, but when spending over £200 on afternoon tea for 3, it is a terrible disappointment to be left in tears, with several hours of follow up!!
The afternoon tea was very nice but not that nice that it was worth all of the hassle!!!!!

1  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed December 19, 2012

As a family tradition every Christmas we go to to Browns for tea. This year accompanied by our new daughter-in-law. As with every year we enjoy the experience and the food. The sandwiches, scones and mince pies were delicious. Particularly the mince pies. I was surprised that we were told when we booked a week or more before that we could only have a 6 o'clock booking as there were empty tables but hey ho!
But it was after the tea that Browns let themselves down very badly . The cloakroom arrangements were not acceptable in a hotel of that standard. Firstly on leaving the restaurant my daughter- in - law saw her hat being carried along the corridor by one of the staff. She stopped him but you could tell by his attitude that he didn't believe it was hers. She graciously suggested that maybe there were two hats the same. We all went to the cloakroom, where we were told that we had the wrong ticket!! Another customer turned up, her hat was lost! They had been trying to give her the wrong hat. Eventually we all got our hats and coats. I didn't hear the word sorry and we were made to feel in the wrong. Shame on you Browns for not training your staff better.

1  Thank Ann B
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at The English Tea Room at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am thankful for your comments about afternoon tea and pleased we were able to deliver the standard you remember and expect from Brown's, and am as disapointed as you that we failed to offer the same curtious and efficient service in the cloakroom , my appologies, your comments have allowed me to follow the standards through with the person concerned, best wishes for a very happy christmas and a prosperour new year,
regards