“Decent grub, efficient service”
Review of The East Hill

The East Hill
Ranked #7,963 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I went here for a late lunch on a recent Saturday with a couple of friends. There's a good buzz to the place and whilst it was busy we were immediately given a table. We were all happy with our meals which were turned around quickly at our request by waiting staff who were extremely efficient and just the right kind of friendly.

The place is packed with young families and locals with dogs which makes for a good and lively atmosphere. I would happily return when next in the area.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The East Hill is a nice enough pub in the Geronimo chain, and usually the chain gives you a decent meal, however I left here pretty disappointed. I had the fish and chips and it was a let down. Chips were fine but the fish was small with thick greasy batter that padded out what was a small piece of fish. Having just written a review on a place in Devon where I paid the same price (and often Devon is more expensive than London), the 2 meals were incomparable. Also, it came with mushy peas which was a paltry amount, maybe 2 teaspoons? And this watery concoction was dumped on top of the tartar sauce (which I'm not a huge fan of).

Also, service was v slow given it was a Tuesday and not that many ordering food.

Shame, seems like a nice pub with a good atmosphere but perhaps being in a chain means they have taken their eye off the ball and got greedy by squeezing the margins.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited here on a Sunday with 2 friends, planning to order the Sunday Roast for a leisurely lunch at 3pm. Unfortunately, the Roast option was "off" (they'd run out) as well as 2 other dishes that were also off the menu. Nothing like starting a dining experience with 3 negatives presented to you by the waitress.

I opted for the Caesar Salad which arrived as a plate of mixed salad leaves, 5 dull croutons, bits of bacon (not advertised as part of the dish, good job my religion does not forbid me to eat pork) and a slab of tasteless grilled chicken breast on top. A few concessionary pieces of Cos lettuce and Caesar dressing being the only 2 nods to a traditional Casar Salad. For this dull dish, I paid £10.95. It wasn't even served with bread.

The service was rushed and inattentive. The waitress was sullen and had no concept of customer service.

I won't be going back!

1  Thank flowergirrl
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Spur of the moment decision to go out and driving to another restaurant went past The East Hill, where we have occasionally stopped for a drink, and decided to try the food. Chose the daily special over the regular menu and was not disappointed. Good sized portions, freshly cooked, beautifully moist lamb and a great risotto. Reasonably priced wines, with a pretty good selection. What completed a loveley relaxed evening was the atmosphere and service both just spot on

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Good food. Pretty good value for money. Always very busy, so book in advance