“Bad experience in what is usually a good pub”
Review of The Betjeman Arms

The Betjeman Arms
Ranked #8,014 of 27,499 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed March 11, 2019

I've been to The Betjeman Arms several times over the years and have always liked it. However, when I went there for breakfast and drinks recently with friends, the place was in chaos. Despite it being 10am on a Saturday, the place was packed, largely due to a lunchtime football match taking place at Wembley, with many fans visiting the Betjeman Arms for pre-match food and drink. It's at busy times like these that hospitality businesses should capitalise. Fixtures are publicised well in advance so any well run place would be able to plan accordingly. But on this day there were only two members of staff who were trying to work behind the bar and deal with all food orders. They tried their best but it was complete chaos.

After a long wait at the bar to order our food and drinks, we went and sat in one of the dining rooms. After another very long wait, one of the staff members brought out two of our four food orders - both of which were cold. On top of that, as the server handed me my plate, she correctly said it was a sausage sandwich which I'd ordered - however, what she gave me was clearly a bacon sandwich. When I commented on this she went back to check with the kitchen only to be told that they'd run out of sausages. Before substituting it, no one had thought to actually ask me if I wanted bacon. To avoid further delays I agreed to just have the bacon sandwich but said that it had to be hot. She returned our dishes to the kitchen and after another delay they were returned to us, this time slightly lukewarm. So basically I had food which wasn't what I'd ordered and all four of us had food that wasn't hot either. At no point was I offered any kind of refund - and I wasn't prepared to wait for half an hour just to get to the bar to raise it with one of the overly stretched members of staff. So, all in all a very disappointing experience and one where I paid good money for a cold, incorrect sandwich. I would have expected much better and, with so much choice in the way of pubs and restaurants in and around St Pancras, I will think twice about going back. It's a shame as with decent management all of these problems could have been avoided.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank lilywhitejude
thebetjemanarms, General Manager at The Betjeman Arms, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2019

Hi Lilywhitejude

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your most recent visit

I'm sorry to hear your experience was a bad one , I can assure you this is not how we operate on a daily basis. We pride our self on our standards and service so i am saddened to read about the standards and service you received

We try our hardest to ensure staffing levels are in place to accommodate higher footfall from football matches at the weekend . It seems on this occasion we failed to predict the footfall correctly

I would like the opportunity to invite you back if you would be so kind to email me directly with a few more details on your visit so that i fully look into the matter
our email is thebetjemanarms@geronimo-inns.co.uk

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 3, 2019

I had a burger which was ok, but the chips were lukewarm. My friend had fish , chips and peas. Overcooked fish, chips not good . Busy place. A lot of people having drinks and enjoying themselves. If there was music playing I didn,t hear it. Nice waitress who took our order, but the lass who brought the food wandered round with it for ages before finding our table. Not sure if I would visit again.

Date of visit: February 2019
thebetjemanarms, General Manager at The Betjeman Arms, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2019

Hi Brittannia004

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feed back on your most recent visit

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoyed your food.
We pride our self on our Fish and Chips so i'm saddened to hear it wasn't up to its normal standard
Could you please email me directly on thebetjemanarms@geronimo-inns.co.uk with so more information so that i can look into the matter further?

We hope you will give us another opportunity next time you are in Kings Cross

Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

Had a really fab meal with a friend here - we really liked the railway inspired decor in the back dining room where we ate. The food came quickly and was really good. Although I’m a veggie the scotch eggs and sausage rolls on the bar looked very tempting indeed! Ieva was a very attentive waitress who was really helpful on food and wine choices and was very apologetic when our drinks took a little while to materialise. This would be a great place to wait for a train and there was a good vibe. We’ll be back!

Date of visit: February 2019
thebetjemanarms, General Manager at The Betjeman Arms, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2019

Hi Dustyroseuk

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review! :)
Sorry to hear the drinks took slightly to long to arrive but happy that Ieva looked after you through out your visit
I have passed you feedback on to the kitchen who are looking at adding a veggie bar snack

We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

Booked a table at this pub/restaurant @ St Pancs Station on Wednesday. It has a separate restaurant and must say I was extremely impressed with the food and service during the meal. I had the Chicken Schnitzel which was topped with an egg and also included Black Pudding, fantastic dish. My colleague had the Fish Cake and again feedback was strong. The lady who served us during service was fantastic and a credit to the establishment. Only slight issue was a lack of a greeter when we entered the restaurant. All in all superb!

Date of visit: March 2019

Hi Johnstone9ab

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review
Your feedback is a great tool for us to continue to improve our offer
We are so happy to hear you liked our new dishes and i have passed your praise on to the kitchen team
Our Laurent dining room is a our hidden gem that most don't realize is there , so happy to hear you liked the design of the room

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

General manager

Reviewed February 24, 2019 via mobile

I've been here for drinks before but this was my first time to eat. I had Sunday lunch and went for the roast beef with extra creamed leeks. It's not cheap but worth every penny. It was a football day so can get busy but the atmosphere was really pleasant. I will return.

Date of visit: February 2019
CButton18, General Manager at The Betjeman Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2019

Hi Kaydee1230

Your feedback is wonderful and has bought a smile to myself and the team

We are very proud of our Sunday offer and its great hearing guest feedback!

We hope to see you again soon #letsgetreadytocrumble :)

Best Wishes