“Pleasant evening...”

Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: Modern, eclectic and featuring indoor and outdoor dining spaces with views over the river Thames and the south bank, the Terrace Restaurant at the National Theatre offers a delicious, Mediterranean-influenced menu, with a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients. Choose a selection of small plates, such as Bavette served with barba di frate and roasted pepper sauce, our spiced quinoa salad with spinach and cime di rapa or the popular black gnocchi with squid, cherry tomato and basil pesto. Our menu includes a variety of vegetarian dishes and vegan options. Our specially selected wine list has a distinctly European edge, as well as a representative variety of great growers from around the world. Or why not try a cocktail for our seasonally-evolving list such as Pear & Ginger Martini, Grapefruit & Plum Collins or Sloe Gin Negroni.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Terrace place has got a very interesting menu with lovely and tasty dishes; the service is friendly, helpful and amusing as usual. I fairly recommend this place of any occasion, specially for those who want to catch up with friends, you could not find a more pleasant place, including the view of the Thame river through the balcony.
LE

1  Thank Bigeaterlondoner

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I came into the theatre to see what was on that evening and ended up staying for a drink at the bar listening to the wonderful jazz group. Other theatre goers had obviously come for an early meal so we wound our way to level 2 where we would finally find a free table.

It appeared frantic with patrons wanting to pay their bills before the theatre at 7.30. I was impressed that the waiter still made time to take our drinks order amid the chaos. Within 10 minutes every table was empty except ours. Our orders were taken and food arrived promptly

The serves are entree size, reasonably priced, and perfect to share. There was nothing we could not rave about! - the steak tartare, the apple celery and caremelised walnut salad, slow roasted rabbit, sea bream carpaccio with raspberries, and caremelised port figs with marscarpone and brioche. Mmmm. Mmmmmm! All that and a 500ml carafe of red wine, and 2 coffees £55!
I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant, especially after 7.30. Great food, friendly staff, and a choice of tables where you might like to sit. :-)

2  Thank JandR12345
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Its busy but there's a reason for that. It's good value and there's plenty of choice. Well filled sandwiches and imaginative snacks.
And a great location too

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Superb view over the Thames, and the city of London, food is good, not exceptional.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a great place for a drink and something interesting to eat before the theatre but it's also worth considering if you just want somewhere to eat on the South Bank. The service is very good indeed which it needs to be given most of the patrons will be hoping to grab something and make it to a show. The menu is very imaginative and varied but I think a couple more accessible dishes would not hurt. Being smart they have fries but for the suspicious of unusual food combinations, otherwise known as teenagers, it would be easy to come out of here having eaten just chips, bread and pudding. A chicken dish would really help! That said I loved the savoury food: beetroot felafel, courgettes dusted with parmesan and chilli served like thick chips, endive salad with caramelised walnut. The braised beef was meltingly tender even if the pommes mousseline were too salty while the carta di musica that came as part of the bread basket was not freshly made so tasted of cardboard instead of melting in the mouth. The puddings were a mixed bag and were the only part of the meal that I had an issue with price-wise -- have your magnifying glass ready!-- a rhubarb fool consisted of over-sweeted layers of cream with good rhubarb, a fine baklava with pistachio icing and a chocolate tart that I assume was gorgeous because I didn't get a taste. The drinks menu is my favourite part and the mouthwatering passionfruit mojito classes as one of the best cocktails I have ever had, some very nice mocktails as well. I am looking forward to going back!