“Marie Celeste in training”
Review of Davy's Wine Vaults

Davy's Wine Vaults
Ranked #2,078 of 23,866 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Description: Davy's Wine Vaults, handily situated next to Greenwich DLR & British Rail, brims with character and charm from its 19th century interiors and displays of vintage wine artefacts. A largely British menu using excellent quality, locally-sourced ingredients offers classic dishes including a traditional Sunday roast. Drawing on the enviable wine cellar of Davy's Wine Merchants next door, there are lots of great wines to try by the glass or bottle, as well as craft beers and Davy's famous Olde Wallop in pewter tankards.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Walked through the door at Lunchtime to see no one there to serve. Walked round and found a man in a suit on the phone who sort of waved us to go round the corner. Eventually a pleasant lady arrived and directed us to a table (not overly blessed with space, but that's the normality on a number of the tables).
We were given the very restricted menu, asked what the special was and the waitress couldn't remember the one dish so had to go away to ask.
My daughter and her boyfriend seemed happy with their dishes but I only ever review mine.
I ordered the sharing platter of fish/seafood items. The dish had two types of prawn smaller one in their shell, really well flavoured but what a pain to shell. Larger ones again she'll on but this tine still in possession of their roe, not an issue, but what I did have an issue with was the frost/ice still on them! Oh dear no bowl to put the shells in and one simply paper napkin to clean incredibly messy fingers. The very nature of the shellfish was that the antennae go everywhere so appalling not to supply a waste dish
The char grilled squid was a tad over charred and carbon flavoured. There were over coated whitebait with a flowery grainy coating delicious smoked salmon and four slices of brown dry uninteresting toast. A little dressing and greenery. The food was dull boring and unexciting apart from the plain smoked salmon.
Toilets were clean at least although the hand dryer was a tad asthmatic!
Finally I had to go look for someone to ask for the bill, found man in suit plus staff chatting at the "bar" waitress eventually arrived with the terminal for my card only to find it wasn't working and quite a while returned with a functioning one.
Not overly surprised that in a major tourist area it was virtually empty at Lunchtime

1  Thank Hoppityskip
Nick B, General Manager at Davy's Wine Vaults, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Hi Hoppityskip,

Thank-you for the feedback and I am sorry that you did not have a great experience with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm and would love the opportunity to discuss this with you in person. I can be contacted on 020 8858 7204.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Great sharing plates. We ordered two as a light lunch for two adults and two kids (5 & 14). Very nice wine. Good service. Handy location, minutes from rail station and about five mins from cutty sark, Greenwich park. Ten mins to observatory (up a very steep hill!)

Hi,

Thanks for the positive review. You are right that the hill is very steep and best not attempted after a few glasses of wine!

Hope to see you back in soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Food was good, wholesome and tasty but the server that attended to myself and my partner was cold and made me feel uncomfortable when asking her for other things. That being said other members of staff were nice but our server, a black haired woman, was very unhelpful

Hi Steve,

Thank-you for the review I am glad that you enjoyed your food and most of the staff were friendly. I am sorry that one of our team were not quite up to scratch, this is definitely not usual for us.

Hope to see you back soon to prove that it was a one off!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I went here on a sunday evening with a friend with no booking, it was surprisingly busy for a sunday night which is probably a good sign.
Our waiter (he looked like he was maybe a manager) gave us some of the best service i have had for a long time. He was absolutely lovely.
My friend asked if he could have the burger (which was only available on the lunch menu) and the waiter straight away said that it wouldn't be a problem.
I had steak which was cooked beautifully.
Lots of space between tables, I would definitely go back!

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the great review! I am really pleased that you had such a good time and enjoyed the steak, we have just increased our steak range so you will have to pop in and try the new cuts soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had an excellent dinner here. We loved the rather 'old world' charm of Davy's. The food and wine were first class and portions generous but sensible. The staff were friendly and efficient. The wine list, as you might expect, was extensive and the staff knowledgeable.

Hi DGO16,

It is always very pleasing to get a 5 star review and makes all the staff very proud, so thank-you! Would love to welcome you back in the near furture.