“Sneaky Staff uncomfortable dining experience.”
Review of Curry Palace

Curry Palace
Ranked #17,950 of 24,121 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Today my husband went for the lunchtime deal advertised as £5.99 on outside board. When entering the restaurant, despite requesting the lunch menu they tried to push for the A La Carte menu and I had to firmly request the lunch menu.

Food was average, no complimentary poppadoms etc, very mean tiny portions.
Despite a hefty service charge the waiter requested a tip when my husband was paying by card, which was very cheeky and we declined feeling quite uncomfortable. The £5.99 lunch deal vegetarian option with a bottle of Perrier water to share came to £17.98. Not worth it. Greedy and sneaky staff will not be returning. This restaurant can only survive on passing trade and its best to go to Brick Lane for a curry.
Ladies toilets no lights completely dark.
Margarete (Glasgow) living in London.

4  Thank Margarete M

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is the kind of place where they want to pile on all the extras they can. Rice, bread, dips--they're all extra so make sure you're not saying yes to something that's 10 pounds without knowing it. That said, the food was excellent and the rice, bread, dips that we got without knowing it were all wonderful. We "only" spent 35 pounds for both of us, but were expecting to spend around $12 when we went in. Oh, well, we were on vacation! Service was great, too.

1  Thank Ncluff52
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I ate here with another couple. We eat Indian food often and this restaurant did not even come close to meeting our expectations. The service was at the machine just like everyone else here has found. The food was not bad, it was just bland. With all the wonderful Indian restaurants in London, I would not go back to this one.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My experience matches all the others. Sat down with a group of friends, enquired about the menu for four, the waiter told us he could do something much nicer for us, a little taste of things was what we wanted?
We DID ask the price, he said dont worry, it will be very little. I was a little uneasy and should have gone with my gut instinct. Or should have read trip advisor!

£130 for a meal for four - 4 mains, no starters or desserts, 3 rice, 2 naan, one main course for two kids to share, no wine or spirits. We asked for water and he brought a large bottle of mineral water which he opened before we realised.

This is the type of restaurant which needs an undercover reporter with a hidden camera to expose their little ways. Watchdog where are you???

Food was actually ok, but most of the occupied tables seemed to have some type of altercation when their bill arrived.

2  Thank smallfootstep
Reviewed August 21, 2013

On our first evening in London we went to the Curry Palace in Queensway.
When we sat down we were asked if we wanted their spicy and plain Papadums and the Relishes. Little did we know that each one cost £0.70/0.60 and the Relishes were an additional £2.50!
So before we even started our meal we had already spent £6.40.
So don't fall for this trick and instead check the menu before taking the Papadums or anything they might offer. If you want them they were very good, but at least you know what you are paying for.
Otherwise the Indian food was very good and can hightly recommend. Each of us (3) took a different dish and enjoyed the meal.
The waiter we had was very unfriendly especially as we didn't take the dish he recommended, the extra Nann or that we only wanted 1 Rice between 2 of us (I am not a big eater and felt that we could always order another one if we wanted) or the fact that I didn't want to order a drink /g (I wasn't thirsty). My husband took a beer which we found on paying was very expensive.
I know that they can make a profit on the extra's such as Nann and the Drinks but a waiter should accept a guest's decision.