“Nice Afternoon Tea - Terrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hamptons Bar

Hamptons Bar
Ranked #5,750 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, Asian, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: The Hamptons Bar is a chic enclave where cocktails can be savoured and memories made. With the air of sophistication, large elegant gilt mirrors and high-backed chairs the decor creates a sense of intimacy for a tete-a-tete or a larger gathering. The bar team are true professionals, with a extensive cocktail list that continuously reflects the season's finest ingredients. For those looking for light refreshments, the bar also serves afternoon tea, bar bites and light meals - creating the perfect place to unwind at any time of day.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Nice Afternoon Tea - Terrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went as a group of 5 to celebrate a colleagues birthday. They sat us in a private room and not the actual bar and then immediately forgot about us. Eventually we were brought our afternoon tea, and 5 minutes later (after I had scoffed a few sandwiches as I was starving from the long wait) it was taken away again as it was supposed to be for someone else... Not sure why they couldn't have left it for us - if they were taking it to another party some of the food had probably been touched by our party - made me worry about hygiene and more importantly, common sense. We were offered a complimentary glass of champagne for the mix up (nice gesture - thank you), which went straight to my head as we had another fairly long wait before we finally got our food. The afternoon tea itself was very nice - good sandwiches and cakes - and I couldn't fault it. So had they redeemed themselves you are wondering??? Well no. When trying to pay another fiasco ensued. We all wanted to pay for our tea separately which seemed to completely flummox the waiter. I even worked out how much we each should pay and told him to take a specific amount from my card, but he put a different amount through. Then my colleague wanted to pay for 2 people but he put these transactions through separately so she had 2 card transactions??? It took about half an hour to get out of the place.

• Visited September 2013
MGR_CPLONSJ, Manager at Hamptons Bar, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Julie H,

Thank you for the review for your recent Afternoon Tea experience in Hampton's Bar. I am extremely disappointed to read of the poor service that you had during your visit and that this spoilt what should have been an enjoyable experience.

I will be addressing the issues that you have mentioned directly with the management and team in the bar and ensure corrective training is undertaken with the entire team. I am pleased that you enjoyed the food once you received it.

I sincerely hope that the quality of the actual afternoon tea will influence you to return, and that you will see the improvements in service that have been made.

Thank you again for your review and apologies for the disappointing experience.

London, United Kingdom
“Poor Afternoon Tea!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I felt I simply had to write about my experience of my afternoon tea at 51 Buckingham Gate. I have been to nearly all of the afternoon tea locations mentioned by the Tea Guild - about 30 in total, this was one of the worst!
I had previously booked a table a couple of months ago for my father's birthday. I was assured that our table had been booked alongside the fountain. When I arrived with my disabled father, nobody knew anything about my booking. We were informed that there was a group booking and no table was available. The Assistant Food and Beverage Manager was kind enough to offer a complimentary afternoon tea upon our next visit. We visited this weekend. All I would say about this particular hotel's afternoon tea is 'poor'. The ambience of the room was at best 'average', not what I would expect from a five star hotel! The choice of teas was good, the cakes and sandwiches 'average'. You would do a lot better visiting Claridges, The Athenaeum, The Savoy, Egerton House or The Intercontinental, Westminster.

1 Thank mark19742016
MGR_CPLONSJ, Manager at Hamptons Bar, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear rogermoore88,

Thank you for the review and feedback for your afternoon tea experience. Following your review, we have been in contact with you to discuss this experience and I would like to go on record again to apologise for the disappointment of this experience. I appreciated that you would have liked to have been in the courtyard next to the fountain, the courtyard operation had seized for the summer and this was re-booked in to Hamptons. This was not clearly communicated and we accept that there was an error with the booking that probably lead to the initial disappointment. Our Executive Chef & Pastry Chef will review the offering that was provided to you and none of the other afternoon teas commented negatively regarding the items. We will however look to improve this and your points are in the process of being addressed with the team.

Thank you for the feedback and please once again accept my apologies for the disappointing experience. We hope to welcome you back and so you are able to see the improvements that have been made.

Oregon
“A mixed bag”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

A good bar menu. A reasonable wine list but limited beers and ales (try Bishop's Finger). Service is mixed. Don't be afraid to get up and track down your server.

Visited June 2013
MGR_CPLONSJ, Manager at Hamptons Bar, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear TomBollard,

Thank you for your review for your visit to Hamptons Bar, I believe that you actually used the Courtyard at 51 which is just outside the bar in our Courtyard Area. Whilst I was pleased that you were generally satisfied, there is clearly room for improvement and we will be addressing the service deficiencies that you have highlighted. As a guest, you should never need to 'get up'and find your waiter as they should be alert and ready to assist. Apologies that this was not the case for you.

I hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to both Hamptons Bar as well as Courtyard at 51 on a future stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Lovely bar in Crowne Plaza St. James”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Friendly service, nice atmosphere - was a lovely spot to sit and have a drink after a busy day in London.
Cocktails are all around the 12.50 mark which isn't cheap but it was a nice place and we went daily.

Visited January 2013
MGR_CPLONSJ, Manager at Hamptons Bar, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Aimeelloyd9,

Thank you for the review for your visit to Hamptons bar during your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London St James. I was pleased that you enjoyed the experience and in particular the cocktails that were expertly made for you by our great bar team. The new bar is almost 1 year old now and has really improved the ambiance in the area and we were pleased you liked it.

Thanks again for the review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Hamptons on a future stay or visit to the area.

Rye, United Kingdom
“Good Cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Good Cocktails, Good Service, Fairly expensive pricing but very attentive waiting and bar staff.
Saturday Nights have a pianist to sit back and relax listening to

Visited December 2012
MGR_CPLONSJ, Manager at Hamptons Bar, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear horse1uk,

Thank you for your review following your visit to Hampton's Bar during your stay with us at Crowne Plaza London St James. The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and you were able to sit back and enjoy the Pianist that we have in residence on Saturday evening. With his great playing and the great service provided by the team, it allows you to unwind after a long day at work or on the Streets of London shopping or taking in the sights.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hampton's Bar on a future trip to London. Thank you again for the review.