“Excellent barbecue meal deal! Great for big groups...”
Review of Hummingbird - CLOSED

Hummingbird
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Excellent barbecue meal deal! Great for big groups...”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Really lovely staff, nicely decorated and clean restaurant serving excellent food for great value. What more could you want? There were only two of us and we ordered the BBQ meat platter for four which is enough jerk chicken for four people, two big bowls of rice and peas, 6 pieces of plantain, a bowl of coleslaw and a macaroni cheese pie. Everything was fresh, clean and delicious. Also did not find the service to be slow like other reviews here, although we were the only table in the restaurant! Not sure why it wasnt packed inside, its such a great gem of Finsbury Park restaurants!

Also rum punch - delicious!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank KimYH8

“Great restaurant! Great food!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I've been to this restaurant many times and I've never been disappointed. Great atmosphere and really good food. Full stars!

London, United Kingdom
“Good Hearty Food.....If You Have The Time....”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Humming Bird Review

This is the third time I have visited this restaurant although the first time in a long while. I brought by son and my partner here for Mother's Day for their first time as I have had fond memories of this establishment previously. Unfortunately service was a little on the slow side, arousing an awkward wait to be seated, then once asked for drinks, this took a look time for the task to be delivered, my son aged 6, who had a simple apple juice was last to be served allowing 20 minutes and a request for a jug of water before we had even received our drinks or had our orders taken, and to be fair there was only 3 other tables dining.

However, after drinks were finally served, I was given a complimentary Pina Colada, which wow...was absolutely divine, so much so that I asked for a jug, as it said at the bottom of the drinks menu, this was 'available by asking the server' however the 'server' was unaware of jugged cocktails, but after pointing out the small print, happily said she would oblige.

Starters came out fairly prompt after the wait for drinks, I had the saltfish fritters, which although unusual was sooo tasty, my partner had the shrimp which reluctantly I wish I had ordered as it was absolutely spot on, tender, tasty and beautifully balanced with a chili sauce, stunning. My son had the sweet potato bake, which was a large portion and was ok, the least favourite of our starters.

The mains followed relatively quickly after the starters, I had the curried goat, which was fairly satisfactory, only for my liking I prefer larger cuts of meat, but was still tasty. Both the plantain and rice wasn't as good as I had remembered but was nice all the same. My partner had the lamb shoulder and seemed to enjoy it, my son had the BBQ jerk chicken, which was absolutely gorgeous, seasoned very very well, and perfectly cooked could not rate it any more, was salubrious....

However, it was on completing our meal that the girl serving us realised she had forgotten the jug of Pina colada we had earlier requested, of which I replied it really doesn't matter, which at that point it didn't as we were way too full to eat/drink another thing, so all's well end's well.

The staff, although really really slow, and at times distracted or other wise engaged, were very friendly, a nice vibe and happy ambiance was felt by all, and can not complain about portion size nor can I grumble about the price. Three starters, three mains, three drinks came to £56.00, not bad. Yes I would come again, purely for the jerk chicken, shrimp and pina colada....just be sure you are not in a rush and have plenty of time.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Heather D
“Miss stacy selsfon”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I have been going to the hummingbird for years wkd food very authentic menu the best peanut punch and curried goat rotis

“Good Trinidadian cooked food”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My favourite for the Hummingbird is the Rotis, they are will prices and great value for money, the staff are always helpful and every phone order is correct, can't fault it.

• Visited November 2013