“Best Thai food in Wimbledon”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of iYara Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

iYara Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We also provide a Takeaway service. NOTE: This is COLLECTION ONLY.
Bangkok, Thailand
“Best Thai food in Wimbledon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I have lived in Wimbledon for twenty years and eaten at most of the restaurants at one time or another. I now divide my time between London and Thailand and tend to avoid Thai food when I am back as I am often disappointed. I heard that this restaurant had opened recently and read some good reviews so I thought I would try it out with a few friends.

The decor is a modern and cool and we were met by Nat who is the owner and takes care of front of house. He is very welcoming and friendly and gave us a complimentary bowl of nuts with our drinks. He told us that he wants to cook freshly prepared food with good ingredients and no MSG. Our selection of starters were delicious. Don't miss moo ping (grilled pork on skewers) with papaya salad. I haven't seen this in other Thai restaurants here but in Bangkok it is popular street food. A stall in Silom Road Bangkok has long queues most nights! Nat said they will have other 'specials' added from time to time once the restaurant has become more established. It is not fusion food - this is Thai food as it should be.

Our mains included green chicken curry, lamb massaman and chicken with chilli and basil - all were superb along with the pad Thai which has just the right moist consistency.

We didn't really have room for desserts but we read about the locally made award-winning ice cream they serve. What a treat! The mango sorbet and honeycomb flavours were both outstanding. The coffee was great as well. It's Nespresso - another unusual aspect to find in local Thai places where often the coffee is undrinkable. Nat is a coffee-drinker himself and wants to give his customers the same as he likes and the same goes for the food.

The attention to detail, authentic tastes make Iyara the best Thai restaurant in the Wimbledon area and one of the best in London.

That was all two weeks ago but today I popped in at lunchtime. They have a set menu for only £6.50. What a bargain! The food was just as good as they serve in the evening.

It was quite quiet and Nat told me it has been patchy since the Olympics and sometimes very full and other times quiet. With food this good I suspect it will soon be hard to get a table once word spreads around so try it while you can. Prices in general are fair. Not the cheapest around but you get what you pay for and I would say it is good value for money.

20 Thank John W

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely fresh food and friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I got a takeaway from here twice this month. The food is great and the owner is so helpful and friendly. He is obviously proud of his restaurant, and with good reason! This is my new regular Thai takeaway... As good as the village, and a more personal service.

7 Thank samanthab380
“Authentic Thai food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

A very good Thai restaurant indeed.
Owner grew up in Bangkok and wants to bring good / fresh Thai food to the area.
This is not the usual overpriced deep fried fayre.

Does take away but not delivery as yet, tho it is planned.

Highly recommended.

5 Thank David A
London
“Just as good...if not better than before”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Since I last reviewed, Chang Thai has become Iyara and gone through quite a change.
Luckily, the dishes are still awesome, my favourite still being the veggie green curry which is really tasty and has quite a kick. Last night, my partner went for the extra hot prawn green curry and was impressed at the flavour and the spiciness. Added to the menu now are sweetcorn cakes for a starter and they're lovely. We will continue to be regulars!

6 Thank JennyJennyJenJen
“Good Thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a very tasty meal at Iyara for the first time last week. We had veggie spring rolls to start then each had a curry with some vegetables on the side. Being a Wednesday evening it was quiet (only one other couple in there) but the waiter/owner was very friendly. It was the best Thai food I've had in a while, at reasonable prices, so we expect to go back sometime.

4 Thank stickyt0ffeepudding