“The Singapore has really gone down hill”
Review of Singapore Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

Singapore Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Singaporean
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Description: A warm welcome from Singapore Chinese Restaurant, a family-run singaporean / chinese restaurant based in west London offering both classic Chinese cuisine and authentic Singapore specialities. Running since 1975, located in leafy Holland Park, we have been making our clients happy for more than 35 years.Our menu includes familiar Chinese favourites; classic Singapore Chinese dishes; and authentic indigenous Singapore fusions of the Malay and Indian cooking styles. The Singaporean Chilli Crab and the famous Singapore Sling (original) are highly recommended and is always on high demand. We are delighted to and experienced at catering for parties and families. We also provide takeaways and local deliveries.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Myself and my family went there on a Saturday evening to celebrate a birthday. We were surprised to see there was only one other family in there. We sat down and proceeded to order drinks. I went through at least 6 different wines all of which were out of stock. The waitress tried to explain that it had been busy during the week, yeah right. Very strange how it's so busy during the week and dead on a Saturday night. I could over hear the people on the other table complaining about their food also, needless to say the six of us made a very quick exit. Such a shame as a few years back this restaurant used to be heaving and you would also see a lot of Chinese people eating in there which was a good sign. It used to be run by a lovely elderly couple obviously they have now retired and whoever has taken over is not doing a good job especially on the ordering side of things and keeping their drinks stocked up.

There are newer reviews for Singapore Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I live and work in Holland Park and I will never set foot in this restaurant again.
My work colleagues saw them put a frozen block of prawns directly on the pavement, which they then began chiselling at to get the prawns out! Enough said.

2  Thank Danielle P
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a set meal for four persons and every dish was excellent.
The people who served the meal described each dish as they placed it on the table. There is a service charge of 12.5% added to the total price but even so it is still good value for money. The cost of the meal amounted to £122.05 for four people which included a bottle of wine and a bottle of still water. Under £30 per head for a three course meal with wine and water has to be good value for money.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Where do I begin my tale about my worst epicurion experience? I should have figured something was wrong when I was welcomed by a rather surly waitress. During the entire meal she never came over to ask me how the meal was - by the way I opted for the £16 (more on this later) chili crab. The crab itself, well lets put it in context - I am elderly, very well traveled and a connaiseur of food and have had innumerable chili crabs in my life. By far this was the worst. It was hard, chewy and overcooked, lacked flavour and was definately not fresh. I was accompanied during the entire meal by some languid fruit flies that buzzed around and enjoyed the meal and my misery. At the end of this rather brutal meal, in a cavernous restaurant but which only had two other tables occupied on a prime Saturday evening, I asked for the bill. Well this was the coup de grace. All the items in the bill were 30 to 50 pence higher than the listed price on the menu. And as if knowing that people would not tip them, the restaurant also pre-added a service charge of about 12%. In any event the total bill was £25.15. Being a person who does not like paying by credit cards, I left £25 cash on the plate (thus saving the restaurant about £1 in service charges). As soon as I had left my table and was nearly out of the door, the aforementioned waitress rushed after me, asking for the remaining 15p! (for those of you in North America thats 25 cents). Anyway, my case rests. If you want to have a lousy evening, a terrible meal, be ripped off and be served in a horrible manner, please go ahead. Otherwise avoid it like the plague!

3  Thank SixcontinentsRiyadh
SingaporeChinese, Manager at Singapore Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear SixcontinentsRiyadh,

first of all thank you for your time to write this review. At this point I need to clarify some facts which are truly misleading to our customers:

1. Our waitress (also myself) did ask you several times if everything is alright, you said yes.
2. Chilli Crab in it's shell is hard, yes it's a shell. Our Singaporean Chilli Crab is one of our signature dishes and we do get positive feedbacks until yours.
3. Freshness of the Chilli Crab: I personally buy Fresh Live crabs every other day and I do make sure they are alive. The only way to get even more fresh ones is to get out to the sea and get them there.
4. Apologies to the fruit flies as these were the results of some ongoing roadworks upstairs.
5. Regarding numbers of customers on a prime saturday: You came in at 6.15pm, we open from 6.00pm, we do get our number of customers from around 8.00pm.
6. Please show me the bill where items are higher on the bill than on the menu. The prices on the bill are exactly the same, please do read it again.
7. A 12.5% Service Charge is added on your bill as this is a common procedure in UK. This is also written clearly on the menu outside the restaurant as well on the menu you ordered from.
8. In Europe customers pay the amount which is stated on the bill, if there are problems they do ask the waiter/waitress for help, but they do not leave without paying the full amount. It's not about the money, but the way people respect each other and the rules

Your review is unfortunately based purely on your discomfort of being chased after and asked to pay the amount printed on the bill.
I do write responses usually in another way/tone, but seeing someone claiming points against the restaurant which are not reflecting the truth just let me no choice but to respond like this.

We do appreciate all responses good or bad as seen previously and like to thank everyone for their time to write the feedbacks.

Thanks,
Chee
(Manager)

For any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at management@singaporechinese.co.uk or on any contact details shown on www.singaporechinese.co.uk . I am more than happy to help and answer all the questions you might have.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Having lived in China and Hong Kong, visiting Singapore countless times for work, for over 18 years and now calling London home, every once and a while we have a hankering for basic good Chinese food. After reading the reviews of this place we and some friends in from HK were very excited. Arrival was good, venue nice, clean, a bit cold but spacious enough to feel comfortable. Initial welcome good and prompt. It then went south from there, After ordering, some food arrived promptly, BBQ ribs tough and chewy despite the sauce, Roast duck, more like BBQ duck with Roast Duck Sauce, Laksa-very good, Mongolian Lamb-chewy; but most amazingly the food ordered for our vegetarians came very slowly, at the very end of the meal especially the tofu and eggplant which arrived with Shrimp paste, despite us mentioning that we were ordering this for our 2 vegetarians to the server. When we raised this issue with the server (a different one) delivering the dish, she at first insisted that this is the only way it comes and we still will have to pay for it. We then had to call the manager, which took a while and finally was resolved, but not in an easy friendly manner. The service was very chaotic and when we remarked on this, the server responded that they were very busy, after which we looked around and noticed that the restaurant was not even 50% full, nor had been, the entire time we were there. We hope this was just an off nite, but unfortunately there are so many other good choices out there I don't think we'll be coming back this way soon..

SingaporeChinese, Manager at Singapore Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Dr K.

thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate your opinion.

We are very sorry to hear that our food was not up to your expectations and we certainly will look into this matter.
Also we do not agree with some point such as the 'BBQ Duck' which we are actually very proud of because it has been constantly optimised during the 38years of business.
The Spicy Aubergine took longer since all dishes are freshly made for our customers and the sauce for the Spicy Aubergine requires more time than other dishes.

Also we did exchanged the dish instantly for you without any hesitations nor waiting times.

We hope we can see you again after some time so we can prove the high standard of our food and service to you.

Thanks,