“Definitely the wow factor” 5 of 5 bubbles

sketch Lecture Room and Library
Ranked #42 of 22,199 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: 2 Michelin star-awarded Sketch offers a breathtaking gastronomic experience in the exclusive neighbourhood of Mayfair. The unique restaurant stretches over 4 spaces, covering everything from tea and pastries to French and European haute cuisine. The Lecture Room & Library is a sophisticated and exclusive dining area, awarded its first Michelin Star in 2005, along with 5 AA Rosettes. The tasting and a la carte menus are designed by the 3 Michelin-starred French master chef Pierre Gagnaire, while the acclaimed wine list was awarded 'Best Award for Excellence' by the Wine Spectator and AA Guide's Best UK Wine List.' There is a smart dress code and gentlemen are required to wear jackets The Gallery is a stylish and vibrant gastro-brasserie with 3 AA Rosettes. Surrounded by ever-changing site specific video exhibitions by emerging artists and designers, The Gallery also features hand painted Julie Verhoeven chairs. The magical ambience of The Glade's Swarovski encrusted and sunset-strewn woodland bar provides the perfect lounge setting. Elegant Louis XV seating features in the quirky and eccentric patisserie, restaurant and bar of The Parlour. Experience breakfast, comfort food and afternoon tea until the last drink before home.
london
“Definitely the wow factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went with my family for the Gourmet Rapide lunch - £40 for 3 courses, coffee & petit fours which we thoguht was pretty amazing value for a 2 michelin star restaurant. Sketch as a whole, and the lecture room in particular, has the wow factor and then some. The decor and art are beautiful and the service was absolutely impeccable. Everything is brilliantly thought out from the decor to the dishes. The chairs are the most comfortable I've sat in at any restaurant and I loved that they put a little table next to my chair to put my bag on. Some of the food was a bit 'out there' - the starters and desserts are lots of little dishes rather than just one and some of them were definitely not to our taste but we didn't mind. We would have been disappointed if the choices were more mainstream as it just wouldn't suit Sketch to be too 'normal'. It's good to taste different dishes and try new flavours. The ambience was wonderful and our whole experience is one to be remembered. I've wanted to go to Sketch for a long time and it was definitely worth the wait - bring on the next visit!

• Visited January 2013

• Turkish first
Harrow
“Love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Delicious food..great atmosphere and service. Also while here check out the igloo bar at the bottom. Very good cocktails. Great place to go as a couple and you can even go in a group of friends.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Amazing Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

From the moment you walk through the doors of the lecture room you know that you are going to have the most amazing experience. There is something about the ambience here that I have not encountered anywhere else. The staff we met were courteous, attentive and made us feel like we were the most special guests they had ever had to look after. With service as good as this could the food be as amazing? Yes! Yes! Yes! This is without a doubt the most amazing food I have ever eaten, each dish an explosion of flavours which I had never before tasted. If you like new and exciting experiences then I urge you to visit the lecture room at least once in your lifetime.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Only good if you have a very strange taste in food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this place has the 'wow' factor in terms of the setting but I honestly think they are trying too hard to be different with their weird menu creation.

Ever heard of green pepper ice cream as a starter? Ever tried mozzarella ice cream? Ever had chocolate with your fois gras (which, oddly was one of my favourite things). We all went for the set lunch menu and all agreed it was a very different and weird experience. One of my clients actually said they felt like it was like a bush-tucker trial!!!

Over-rated, poncey, tiny portions and weird food. Great service and setting though. With all of the great reviews on here, they are obviously doing something right. However, not my bag and never will be.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ChrisGower1975
London, United Kingdom
“Sketch Library December 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Another visit to the now 2 Michelin Stared Sketch and another wonderful evening was had by all. This time I went with some colleagues who had yet to visit but had heard good things and all of our expectations were met and surpassed.

I booked on-line which was as simple as it gets and a very nice sounding girl called the day before to confirm….easy.

The welcome, the décor and the ambiance were spot on and the food was simply mind blowing. I’m no food critic but I do know that everything we ate was made with an equal amount of skill and devotion with a love of food. I know that might seem over the top for food but what can I say, it was simply excellent and I don’t have cause to say that as often as I would like.

The wine list is extremely thoughtful. You might expect it to be full of hugely expensive wines that will see you re-mortgage your home but thankfully this isn’t the case. They have clearly selected wines with all palettes and wallets in mind.

Between four of us we ran up a bill of just over £400, this with two bottles of wine so in my mind not bad going at all for a 2* Michelin in London!

After we had finished eating we were offered a table in one of the bars and continued long into the evening. I am not going to disclose what our bar tab was as I’m still trying to come to terms with it myself!

If you want to impress your partner or even potential partner and don’t mind parting with the cash this place will knock their spots off for sure! If like me you wanted an evening with friends/colleagues to remember again, this is top choice.

The only bad thing I have to say about Sketch is that I can’t afford to go more often!

1 Thank GlenSkeel