“Only good if you have a very strange taste in food!”

Sketch Lecture Room and Library
Ranked #108 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: 2 Michelin star-awarded Sketch offers a breathtaking gastronomic experience in the exclusive neighbourhood of Mayfair. The unique restaurant stretches over 4 spaces, covering everything from tea and pastries to French and European haute cuisine. The Lecture Room & Library is a sophisticated and exclusive dining area, awarded its first Michelin Star in 2005, along with 5 AA Rosettes. The tasting and a la carte menus are designed by the 3 Michelin-starred French master chef Pierre Gagnaire, while the acclaimed wine list was awarded 'Best Award for Excellence' by the Wine Spectator and AA Guide's Best UK Wine List.' There is a smart dress code and gentlemen are required to wear jackets The Gallery is a stylish and vibrant gastro-brasserie with 3 AA Rosettes. Surrounded by ever-changing site specific video exhibitions by emerging artists and designers, The Gallery also features hand painted Julie Verhoeven chairs. The magical ambience of The Glade's Swarovski encrusted and sunset-strewn woodland bar provides the perfect lounge setting. Elegant Louis XV seating features in the quirky and eccentric patisserie, restaurant and bar of The Parlour. Experience breakfast, comfort food and afternoon tea until the last drink before home.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this place has the 'wow' factor in terms of the setting but I honestly think they are trying too hard to be different with their weird menu creation.

Ever heard of green pepper ice cream as a starter? Ever tried mozzarella ice cream? Ever had chocolate with your fois gras (which, oddly was one of my favourite things). We all went for the set lunch menu and all agreed it was a very different and weird experience. One of my clients actually said they felt like it was like a bush-tucker trial!!!

Over-rated, poncey, tiny portions and weird food. Great service and setting though. With all of the great reviews on here, they are obviously doing something right. However, not my bag and never will be.

1  Thank ChrisGower1975

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Another visit to the now 2 Michelin Stared Sketch and another wonderful evening was had by all. This time I went with some colleagues who had yet to visit but had heard good things and all of our expectations were met and surpassed.

I booked on-line which was as simple as it gets and a very nice sounding girl called the day before to confirm….easy.

The welcome, the décor and the ambiance were spot on and the food was simply mind blowing. I’m no food critic but I do know that everything we ate was made with an equal amount of skill and devotion with a love of food. I know that might seem over the top for food but what can I say, it was simply excellent and I don’t have cause to say that as often as I would like.

The wine list is extremely thoughtful. You might expect it to be full of hugely expensive wines that will see you re-mortgage your home but thankfully this isn’t the case. They have clearly selected wines with all palettes and wallets in mind.

Between four of us we ran up a bill of just over £400, this with two bottles of wine so in my mind not bad going at all for a 2* Michelin in London!

After we had finished eating we were offered a table in one of the bars and continued long into the evening. I am not going to disclose what our bar tab was as I’m still trying to come to terms with it myself!

If you want to impress your partner or even potential partner and don’t mind parting with the cash this place will knock their spots off for sure! If like me you wanted an evening with friends/colleagues to remember again, this is top choice.

The only bad thing I have to say about Sketch is that I can’t afford to go more often!

1  Thank GlenSkeel
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Make sure you visit all the bathrooms! Each has outstanding design and ingenuous decor. My fav was the egg shaped stalls.
The restaurant is located in a non descriptive street near Regent street. It is hard to imagine once inside the number of rooms it has. Visit them all. From the dinning rooms to the lounge and bars.
The food was outstanding and the service impeccable.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have just had the most amazing lunch at Sketch it was a birthday and from the moment we opened the front door we were swept in by a fantastic welcome from David who must be the best front of house I have ever met who truly loves his profession. If you want a Wow experience this is the place look no further. The food was also amazing a 2nd Michelin Star. has recently been given and well deserved. We had the set menu which was excellent value including half bottle of wine each . You must go.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having researched where we wanted to go for a celebration Sketch ticked all the boxes. On arrival the woman was charming, pleasant and professional and she looked interesting, a good start. The nice time stopped there. We were not put at ease by the arrogant (not charmingly so) Irish maitre-de, we were told we 'would want to look around, everyone does' (we didn't but felt we had to go along to waste time because we were slightly early for out noon table). We were asked to have a drink in the bar which was crowded (and we didn't want to). When we were finally show to our table the restaurant had others in already eating! Obviously we were marked out as plebs or out of town tourists who they could afford to keep waiting. The restaurant's occupants were moaning americans and picky chinese tourists who we felt were marked out as more likely than us to go back, that's why they got better service than us. Food was good but we should have gone to one of our usual haunts where we would have felt welcomed and not managed.

4  Thank deebut