“Good experience though over-rated”
Review of Maze

Maze
Ranked #794 of 23,994 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Asian, French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: A fusion of taste and style, the combination of French and Asian influences offers a unique tasting experience. Award winning menus with classic cocktail offerings. Sushi at maze takes centre stage in the bar with the freshest selection of sushi and sashimi created in front of you.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Went to dinner here with my wife, and we both ordered the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. We had high expectations given all the hype around the Gordon Ramsay brand, but overall thought the experience was mixed.

Some of the dishes were very rich, such as the venison loin--I'd be perfectly content with just a large order of this--and the lobster. Others were unremarkable. My wife ordered the pork belly as a side dish and couldn't have more than one bite. We may just be spoiled given some excellent tasting menus we've enjoyed at comparable NYC restaurants.

Furthermore, although we had a reservation and there were a number of open seats around us, I felt a little bit rushed at first, as we were interrupted by various staff at what seemed like 3-4 minute intervals. Overall, it was not a very memorable meal, and we won't be coming back.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,087)

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Went for a work dinner: 6 of us, in the private room next to the kitchen. Good point - no premium for watching the kitchen; bad - its not designed as a chef's table so those facing the kitchen get all the fun, but those facing away see nothing. This creates a dissonance - some want to watch and some to talk. So the food was good but not jaw dropping exceptional. Not one flavour that I would wax lyrical about. Didn't feel comfortable at the bar - too many different waiters involving themselves (and first wine waiter really didn't want to serve us red, as the food is 'delicate'). Cost was £160 per person, and the wine was af the lower end of the list. Lastly the Ramsay 15% service charge rankles!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

A group of friends and I visited this restuarant on a Monday. We were all very impressed with the level of flawless service, the quality of the food and presentation, coupled with the tranquil ambience and great value, given the quality. Highly The kitchen tour at the end of our dining experience was a nice touch. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We sat on large white banquette, on the end. It felt like a harvester from my youth: children running round; lots of wood and noise. Had wine chosen by sommelier. She was great. 3 courses each, portions for "tasting" so you expect the best. Scallops were fine. Dumplings and venison were excellent. Terrine too cold for me though my wife loved it. Real disappointment was the beef. So chewy and fatty my wife had to spit out into her napkin. Mash was tasteless. Asked "was food ok?" We said the above. When napkins cleared we warned about spat out beef. As we paid we were asked again about food, "Why didn't you say?" We did! We just paid and left. Bad taste wasn't just beef. £150 is fine for great meal. We went elsewhere for pudding and coffee.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ate here for lunch off the a la carte menu, the service was attentive and responsive if a little quietly spoken and all the food was excellent, well presented and served quickly. Portions are on the small side. Wine was chosen off an ipad and the one we chose was nice enough.

Cannot fault the food or service but not sure if I would go if I was picking up the bill, although they do do a set price menu for £25 which is great value.