“Not as good as we expected”
Review of Lord's Tavern

Lord's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Lord's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,641 of 24,404 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Regent's Park / Kings Cross
Description: The Lord's Tavern is a popular destination for locals and those who visit the Home of Cricket, to take in a match or simply for an enjoyable dining experience in fashionable St John's Wood. From a wide range of speciality beers to seasonal, locally sourced pub grub you'll soon discover the Lord's Tavern do not do anything by halves. Situated next to the famous Grace Gates, the Tavern offers a laid-back dining experience at one of the most iconic and historic venues in London. Lord's Tavern is an atmospheric family-friendly spot where visitors will enjoy the best of British, both in the cheerful service and good selection of beers and in the wonderfully typical, hearty and delicious food. It's also a great venue to watch live sport on both Sky and BT Sport. Whilst watching, you can also enjoy a burger and pint for just £12. Whether you're thinking of dining with us, having a quick snack or just popping in for a pint, we hope to see you soon.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went to the Lord's tavern as a birthday treat for my father during a test match against India. We expected better of the food and service and left feeling disappointed. The food comes in tiny portions which are not good amount even though I do not eat very much usually I found this to be ridiculous. I ordered the guest sausages and mash and expected greatness but sadly found the meat to have no flavour. I believe it depends what you order at this restaurant as my father enjoyed the experience more than I did as he ordered chicken and chips and then strawberries and cream even though the portions were small he found his food to be of better quality.

The service we found to be quite poor as we were not shown to a table but directed which of course we didn't understand as it was like we were given road directions. We were not shown the specials board on the wall that we could not see when there was food we would of much preferred. When we finally got out dessert we were not given cutlery until we asked for it as the staff were much more interested in the larger tables than our own. However, we found the atmosphere to be most enjoyable with the decoration and layout of the pub showed the tavern to have class and a modernised atmosphere mixed with traditional cricket.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Lord’s Tavern is situated right next to Lords Cricket Ground (and incidentally is only a few minutes walk from the famous Beatles Abbey Road crossing) and has a long and illustrious history and I went there for lunch soon after I’d been to a cricket match at the ground. What a lovely pub it is, with walls covered with a montage of framed photos, cartoons, certificates and other memorabilia. I had the choice of sitting inside or out and since it was such a fine day, chose the latter, which still also gave me a good view of the clientele inside. The menu is not too big but has a good selection of starters, burgers, sandwiches, mains, specials, snacks, sides and desserts, most of which looked appetising. The waitresses were very friendly and efficient and when I asked my waitress if she recommended anything, she said one of the specials, the chicken and ham pie and chips. I adore pie and chips so didn’t need any encouragement to go with that. I have eaten pie and chips in many places in Britain and elsewhere and I swear this was the best I have ever tasted. The pie came straight from the oven in its individual bowl, the puff pastry top beautifully golden and puffed up and the chicken and ham inside, resting in the beautiful sauce, were deliciously moist. As for the chips, you have to see and taste them to know how amazingly light inside and crispy outside they were. Washed down with couple of a good selection of beers, in a venue such as the Lords Tavern, it was an unforgettable lunch experience.

1  Thank Retired_Gentleman
Reviewed July 19, 2014

If you plan to watch sports at Lord's Tavern - don't! The staff seem to be more important than customer's. Just before Germany was to be presented the World Cup trophy, the team at the Tavern switched off the TV leaving a crowd of fans bemused. The trophy presentation would have been completed in 5 minutes but this was of no consequence. Their attitude at the time was very poor. Go somewhere else for Sports and this from a bar connected to the famous Lords. Would they do the same with a cricket match?

2  Thank Ravi G
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Pop in for a quick pint, great food and fine selection of lovely ales, nothing to say against this famous London tavern.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a really nice place to go with somewhat of a coffee-house feel to it. The exterior is well maintained and the outside eating area has the same copied canopy as one of the stands at the cricket ground next door. Inside, there are nice, spacious tables with leather sofas and chairs and the place is kept very clean. The only downsides are that it is quite pricey (£3.60 for a pint of Coca-Cola) and the toilets do not meet the same standards as the rest of the restaurant. Having visited the male cubicle, there was no lock on the door so could have been embarrassing.