“Modern authentic tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Iberica Marylebone

Iberica Marylebone
Ranked #736 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Iberica Marylebone is the very centre of Spanish cuisine and culture in the UK. This destination venue not only offers the best in Spanish cuisine with seasonal gastronomic tapas, but also a delicatessen selling artisan produce and wines, some of which are unique to the British market. Diners are offered a choice of over forty hot and cold 'tapas', which are served from lunch through 'til late in the evening. In a relaxed yet dynamic atmosphere, simple cold dishes such as an extensive selection of cheeses and embutidos (charcuterie) - including the famous Jamón Iberico de Bellota, sit alongside classic bespoke tortillas and homemade croquettes offering guests a culinary contrast between both regional variations and more modern adaptations of traditional Spanish cuisine with a focus on Asturias specialities. The bustling Tapas restaurant and Delicatessen is flooded with natural daylight from floor to ceiling windows with a ground floor and mezzanine dining area.
London, United Kingdom
“Modern authentic tapas”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I really enjoyed my first lunch here. On arrival you are greeted by a host who genuinely seems pleased to have you as a guest. The main room is modern authentic Spanish and v pleasant. The food is excellent, the Iberian ham is especially delicious - I recommend the trio platter as a starter - and the cod balls, chorizo lollies and corn fritters were all excellent too.

Service at the table was perfect on my first visit - my compliments to Juan our waiter, who was kind and attentive and gave us a delicious glass of hazelnut liqueur on ice as a finisher. My table by the window was very comfortable and much better than being in the delicatessen area at the back where I was seated with my family when I returned for a Sunday lunch.

A wholly different experience on the Sunday: annoying waitress who answered no to any request she wasn't familiar with. Being denied a cafe con leche ("we don't do that") when I had had a lovely one a mere three days previously was a let down. And the chicken paella was lacking in taste.

A tale of two sittings I guess. Will go back in hope of re-enjoying the front of restaurant vibe and service. Rating below is on basis of first encounter, which was mid-week lunchtime.

• Greek first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely tapas”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went for Father's Day lunch, we were unhappy with our table but they sorted that out straight away. The food was excellent and authentic. We had several tapas, the squid was fantastic, as was the trio of ham and the pork loin. Would highly recommend as a great place to either sit at the very long bar with friends or a family meal. They gave my husband a gift wrapped bottle of wine as we left for Father's Day - nice touch.

Kiwi in London
“Delicious delicious tapas”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Meeting friends? Great place to share plates of yummy tapas and perfect Ribero del duero red. Outstanding wine but a little on the ecoensive side. We ate early do missed the atmosphere but I know this place really pumps late on a Friday! Really delish food and quality produce.

1 Thank Happyte
London, United Kingdom
“Awful service”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were extremely disappointed by the service last night. 3 things worth noting: (1) When we were ordering 2 portions of padron peppers and wanted to order more, our waitress said "it will be enough, you can order more later". When we wanted more later, she said that there was no more left. This was on a saturday night as well! (2) We asked how big the portions were for the tomato bread, the waitress said it was "one piece of toast" so told us to order 8, one for each person. They came with SIX pieces EACH! When we then told this to her she said "sorry but you ordered 8". (3) She kept interrupting our conversation with GUYS CAN I CLEAR THE PLATES. The best waitresses are the ones that are invisible. This was possibly the worst.

3 Thank paksoya
Kent
“Really don't bother.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have dined at at this restaurant twice now in 4 weeks. I'll cover ambience, food and service below....

Ambience: it's modern and clean. It was busy and it had a muted buzz about it. Feels a bit like eating in an airport restaurant.

Food: both times I've asked what the "market fish" is (grilled market fish) and both times I've been told that the market had run out of fish. Erm....then I ordered the grilled squid from the main menu to be told thee sold out (at 1230pm!).
The rest of the food is mediocre tapas at best. I've tasted much better from a beach hut in Spain. Not a patch on Brindisa or Pulpo. There is far too much fried food. Certainly a severe lack of fresh cooked food.

Service: very slow and inattentive. It feels like you are constantly trying to catch waiters eyes to place an order or ask a question. When I did ask a question about my food - "what is the sauce that had come with the steak" - the waiter replied "I'm sorry but I don't know, i have only been here a few days and have not tried the food yet". He went to walk away when I called him back and suggested he find out for me. Oh dear. The other staff are just as bad...bordering on the rude without actually being rude.

So all in all it is worth spending 5 minutes walk to a different tapas restaurant.

3 Thank PinMaster