“Impromptu curry”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We had already been recommended this restaurant by a friend and we were not disappointed. Portions were generous, bottled water and beer were served by the litre or pint, poppadoms and accompaniments were excellent and the paneer tikka masala and accompanying vegetable biriani with pilau rice were also very good.

This is a first rate, long established modest local Indian restaurant in Hampstead, near the back of the Royal Free Hospital. The meal was a bit slow coming, but this was acceptable as the food had clearly been freshly prepared.

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a reviewReviews (48)

Reviewed May 17, 2018

I ordered a Chicken Madras with a creamy sauce. It was bland, tasteless, had no aroma and tasted awful. The chicken breast wasn't soft and tender but tough and stringy. The sauce was hot but that's it. I would expect, having a curry dish made fresh in a kitchen would be bursting with flavour with an aroma of spices. This had none of that. It was like it was just scooped out of a tub and warmed up. Very, very disappointed and won't be going back. It also didn't help that the guy didn't understand what I said when placing my order. He was very nice about it when I mentioned afterwards but I never like sending food back then having to wait for a replacement .

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 1, 2018 via mobile

Best Indian foods in London. I am happy with my meal. Service was excellent & nice atmosphere. I recommend everyone try ones. I will come back again

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Tufayelhu
Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

I ordered my takeaway over the internet. It was around £43. I went to collect my food and it wasn’t ready. This was ok with me as sometimes orders run over the collection time. Finally after a further 20 minutes, it was ready. Unfortunately when i got home and unpacked the food, the naan bread was missing. I called the restaurant and they apologised and said we will bring it over to my place. They took my address but didn’t bother to deliver the bread. This is not good service. One the restaurant is at fault for forgetting the bread but to say they will bring it to you and not come is bad. I’m not one for worrying about a few pound but principal has pushed me to leave a review. The food was ok/not the best but simply not even bothering delivering the bread has put me off from using them again.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed January 29, 2018

We were having pints at The Stag across the street but weren’t in the mood for pub food so we wandered up the street & lucked into this spot.
A quiet Sunday evening in January - but we noticed a steady take out and delivery service: clearly this is a local favorite!
There were four of us, one of whom really knew his Indian food options so we turned the ordering over to him.
Sorry to not know all the proper names but we got a lot of variety, one very spicy, one mild some curry: fish, chicken, lamb, vegetariaan dishes a plain naan and a garlic naan, a couple orders of rice, one large beer and a bottle of sparkling water: bill was 44£!
Excellent value. A short walk from the Belsize tube station, def a good choice in this neighborhood.

Date of visit: January 2018