Tripadvisor
London
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews beautiful hotel oscar wilde pre theatre meal bavette ultra plush boutique place cocktail bar best hotels in the world main bar best hotel we have stayed gorgeous room holborn tube small touches junior suite fine hotel living area the general manager
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I will be fair with this review as I do feel that the cafe at L'Oscar has great potential. It is in a fairly tough location (I live just down the road). You have the excellent Rosewood just round the corner, and the very good and very established Delaunay down the road to the south, and the Gilbert Scott at St Pancras not too far away either. So the Cafe at L'Oscar has to be good to get the repeat customer.....and it is not quite there.
I was here for a pre-theatre meal, and on arrival at 5.45 there was only one other table occupied. As is my want I asked for a different table to the one we had been allocated. I was told that it was reserved, and made a mental note to see if it would become occupied in the relatively short time we were there. It remained unoccupied.
We ordered a round of drinks which appeared to flummox the bar staff and the bar tender. To be fair, and after a bit of a wait, we were offered a second round for free and the General Manager visited our table and took our feedback on board.
It was with some trepidation that we ordered food, and again to be fair the food was excellent - well done!
The whole hotel is beautifully done - think the Hamyard meets trendy Tribeca hotel and you have it. The service needs to be up there with the venue, or Scarfe's etc will eat their lunch, and supper, and probably breakfast too.

Date of stay: January 2020
MichaelV4785, General Manager at L'oscar London, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Charlie,
Many thanks for providing us with your feedback. As discussed yesterday, I am deeply sorry for the experience you had and this is being reviewed internally.
Please let me know once you are around in the area again as we would love to invite you back in.
With Warm Personal Regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There were approximately 5 staff in the restaurant with 5 tables occupied Service was poor, orders for drinks did not appear, inattentive waiting staff- had to constantly try to flag them down to get their attention. Food was very good though, wine extortionate at £15 a 175 ml glass,
I think it's style over substance.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking the time out to provide us with your feedback.
We are deeply sorry to hear that the service you experienced was not up to our usual standard and this will be reviewed with our management team internally especially as we pride ourselves on the 5 star service that is usually delivered to our guests.
If you would be so kind as to provide me a direct contact for yourself, I would love to be able to discuss this further with you.
With Warm Wishes

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I came with my friend as we were enquiring about the possibility of hosting a wedding in the hotel. From the moment we entered L’oscars we felt so comfortable and relaxed even amongst the grandeur and elegance. After viewing the wedding spaces we decided to stay for lunch. The starters of beetroot and the Greek salad were exceptional. Portions were of a good size and the rabbit pie was delicious. We were too full to eat dessert, which is unlike us. The staff were all exceptional and attentive in the restaurant, as were the front of house staff with special mention to Agnes. Nothing was too much trouble and there was a high level of flexibility and understanding whilst we were going through our initial chat about a potential wedding. Agnes returned half way through our lunch to enquire if we were enjoying ourselves.
We enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to bring my partner back for dinner that evening. Although the events team had gone home for the day we were kindly shown around again by one of the front of house staff. We then headed for dinner in the cafe. Again the staff were very attentive but it may be worth mentioning a few points:
I have noticed on the reviews that there are pre-theatre and set lunch menus. We were not offered these on either occasion alongside the a la carte menu. It may be that the offer is no longer available. Also my partner ordered the burger and unfortunately stated it was not good. There have been a few comments on here about the burger so it may be worth taking that off the menu. I understand it is a safe choice for a child or someone with a fussy palate but had I not had an exceptional lunch my partner may not have considered eating there again based on this one “rogue” item. However, we all had the best French fries we have possibly ever tasted and I had a larger version of the Greek salad as it was so delicious.
After dinner we went into the Baptist for cocktails. Again the staff were amazing - just the right balance of attentive whilst allowing us to enjoy our time. The cocktails were interesting and sublime and the atmosphere was perfect. The drinks came with lovely complementary olives and high quality “nibbles”. I had one of the New Testament cocktails which had a lavender base (LUST), followed by a beautiful smoky cocktail called GREED. I could have happily stayed for a few hours making my way through the menu and then slowly heading up to one of the sumptuous bedrooms. Alas! Real life meant I could not. And that’s what sums up L’oscars. When you are there their is a real sense of escapism married with a feeling that this place is also your home and you are not just stopping over in a hotel for a few hours or a few days. The balance is perfect.
Needless to say, we are now in the process of trying to secure our wedding here. I smiled the whole time I was in the hotel - I smiled even more when I saw the bedrooms - and if the level of service is as good as it was on Monday then I am going to be one very lucky bride and my guests will be in for a most impressive and unsual event.

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Dear Emma,
Thank you so much for providing us with this lovely feedback.
Firstly, we are delighted and truly hope that you will have L'oscar as your venue for your special special day. So pleased that you stayed on after your visit to experience both the restaurant and the beautiful bar. We have taken on board your comments about the burger, much appreciated and this will be reviewed internally but we are pleased all the other dishes and cocktails were thoroughly enjoyed.
We hope to see you back again soon and if there is anything I can personally do in the meantime, please do not hesitate in contacting me.
With Warm Regards

Reviewed January 4, 2020

I will admit these days I infrequently write reviews on TripAdvisor: unless an experience is outstanding or abysmal I skip writing a review. However since L’Oscar is relatively new, I decided to review my somewhat mixed experience.

My family and I have been most fortunate inasmuch as we’ve travelled extensively in Europe and the UK and Having heard great things about L’Oscar, and as a big fan of Jacques Garcia, I was most anxious to visit this hotel. London is like my second home and generally we stay at the same luxury hotels time and time again.

I was especially anxious to stay in this part of London: it’s an especially nice area especially if you’re not a first time visitor - if you know London L’Oscar is well-situated to visit every part of the city. It’s also quite close to the London School of Economics and some newly gentrified neighborhoods.

I was delighted with my room - a nice upgrade that I wasn’t expecting. Unfortunately, on this visit to London I could only manage a long weekend but the larger room, sumptuously decorated was appreciated. In fact it came in quite handy as I invited a few friends over for a drink in my room after we enjoyed lovely hand crafted cocktails in the stunning bar (all the public rooms are just stunning - a bit flamboyant but really well done as one with expect from a Jacques Garcia project.

I also enjoyed the lovely amenity of a dome of delicious chocolates and some fresh fruit. Room service was delicious.

My only disappointment was the Front of House staff - in particular the Reception desk. I felt as if I was not treated in a welcoming and friendly manner, but rather dismissively. However the GM went out of his way to make amends. By the time I left I truly believed the cold reception was an aberration and not the typical manner for the hotel.

All in all a truly lovely hotel and a welcome addition to the burgeoning collection of boutique hotels in London.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
MichaelV4785, General Manager at L'oscar London, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2020

Dear Alexandra,
Thank you so much for taking the time out to provide us with your feedback, we greatly appreciate this.
We are so pleased you loved the hotel especially being a fan of Jacques Garcia's. It was great to have you experience for your short time in London.
I am sorry about the service you felt you received from front office. This is not the level we pride ourselves on and this will be reviewed internally.
We hope to have you back with again in the future and if there is anything I can personally do in the meantime, please do not hesitate in contacting me.
With Warm Wishes

Reviewed December 29, 2019

Stayed in L’Oscar for my partner’s birthday after seeing a number of very good reviews and must say you will not be disappointed.

Booked directly with the hotel as they were more competitive than online sites. Originally was meant to stay in October however was unable to attend and the team offered the option to reschedule anytime during the year which was a welcome surprise.

From the minute we arrived the service was exceptional. Staff are polite and treat you with a touch of class, taking you to the reception opposed to pointing you in the direction and offering you refreshments. After checking in you are then taken to your room and given a brief explanation on the features within your room, from mood lighting to privacy settings..

We stayed in room 507 and it is one of the best (if not the best) rooms I’ve stayed in. From the decor to the free standing bath, in a wet room with showers either side and an extremely comfortable bed (Superking I believe).

I had contemplated staying at the Rosewood or the Shard but without hesitation would say I am extremely happy we stayed here and my partner felt the same.

I would like to make a specially mention to Cristina who was fantastic throughout helping me plan our stay, although the whole team were exceptional.

Without hesitation I would highly recommend especially if you want a special experience.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
MichaelV4785, General Manager at L'oscar London, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time out to provide us with such a lovely review.
We are so delighted you enjoyed your L'oscar stay and we hope it made the birthday celebrations even more special for you both.
We hope to welcome you back to L'oscar another time soon and please let me know if there is anything that I can personally do in the meantime.
With Warm Regards