“Great value offer in nice restaurant”

Boisdale of Bishopsgate
Ranked #1,453 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Boisdale of Bishopsgate, situated just opposite Broadgate and Liverpool Street Station, serves some of the best food in the City for which it won many awards including Restaurant’s Magazine, UK’s Best Game Dish Award 2007. The ground floor is home to a traditional Champagne & Oyster Bar ideal for drinks parties whilst the downstairs McGonagall Room, Restaurant and Piano Bar offer a more intimate space for relaxing, entertaining or formal dining. At weekends the whole venue is available for private hire for weddings, anniversaries, celebrations as well as corporate parties (of up to 110) at no extra cost. However, a minimum spend of £5000 (including food, drink and service charge) is required
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Went there recently for an evening meal and took advantage of the offer they had for 2 courses for £17.50. Service was good and the ambience was really nice. They had live jazz pianist which was great and the decor was old school but date fully done. The food was good quality and the home made chips were lovely. Overall, very nice evening with good food.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Once you find t,his place tucked ap a wee alley( you'll not notice it walking by) you'll not be disappointed. The helpful staff will take your coats and lead you away from the slightly dated and dingy pub upstairs to their basement restaurant which is tastefully done in gentleman's colours with well thought out paintings etc on the walls.... The food however is the biggest draw... Lovely dived scallops, a very fresh and tasty trio of smoked salmon, and some gorgeous well hung and aged scottish steaks that were cooked to perfection. Add an extensive wine list and a cheese board with a fantastic selection and you have all the trappings of a great evening. James the duty manager and Sharona our waitress looked after us superbly last Friday and we would certainly make the trip again. 5 stars for you guys..... Ranald would be proud of you all.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

My sons 40th they pulled out all the stops to accommodate everything for me as I lived a distance away even down to getting a birthday cake for me, nothing too much trouble , staff very polite and help[ful on the day a wonderful time was had by all .

Emily H, General Manager at Boisdale of Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

We love to be part of our customers special occassion's & it is important to us that your experience is a memorable one for all the right reasons. Thank you for taking the time in letting us know & we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Came here last night for my brother's birthday & was delighted...in the end!

The restaurant entrance is tucked away in a narrow courtyard off Bishopsgate which is straight-forward to find if you read your map properly! We began with a very nice bottle of Rioja & were shown to our table ( a very comfortable four seater booth) by a very nice waitress. ( Im glad we chose the Bishopsgate branch rather than the Canary Wharf one as that one has a very noisy Jools Holland in situ apparently! Not my bag Im afraid!).

Eventually ordered as we all kept talking incessantly & I had a very nice starter of 'air dryed' ham & a poached Gressingham duck egg on a salad with a lovely mustard dressing. Then we had another bottle of red; all good so far....

Then disaster struck....!

Unfortunately I really really don't like chargrilled steak. Luckily most places I go to pan fry however if you go to Spain & elsewhere they will grill instead. Some people love it ( eg my fellow diners) I just find it can dominate the taste far too much.

Well after a short conference with the maître'd, he asked whether they could pan fry me one instead, which they did & it turned out to be sensational! It was deliciously seasoned and perfectly cooked. The important point here being how well he dealt with the situation. I was happy to pay for both as it was no fault of the restaurant. Just wanted a good experience which is what we all had. So I can certainly recommend Boisdales ( providing you're not a vegan!)

I am pleased to read of your experience & that my colleague's looked after you to allow you to fully enjoy your steak which we pride our selves in. Birthdays are important celebrations & everyone in the party needs to happy. Your seasonal choice of starter is a great hit too & our menu is to take another seasonal change this week, as we have wonderful black headed gull eggs in & for a short time only.

A precious English heritage delicacy that is definitely one to be enjoyed.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The steak here makes eating in a cellar on a bright evening worthwhile. It's not the cheapest place in town, but still worth a try.

I am really pleased you enjoyed your evening with us & your steak which we pride our selves in. We are currently offering as our guest steak, a 1 kilo cut. From a Tomahawk steak or Porter house, the perfect steak for sharing, or for those that are hungry! Dry aged for 60 days in a Himalayan salt room, prepared especially for us here at Boisdale by butcher James George from East London. An experience not to be missed!