“Don't go by appearances”

The Golden Pagoda AKA The Lotus Garden
Ranked #10,683 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: It is located on the corner of Gerrard Street and Macclesfield Street in the heart of London's Chinatown and easily recognised from our traditional Green Tiled Pagoda entrance Spread over 3 floors and lavishly decorated, the restaurant seats up to 150 guests and it also has a private room for special requests. When making your order, be sure to try some of our Chef's signature dishes such as Crispy Duck, Fresh Lobster with dry chilli and garlic, House Supreme Hot Pot and the ultimate special Three Kinds of Mixed Barbecue Meat. No booking is required. Walk-ins are welcome during our opening hours.
Norwich
“Don't go by appearances”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very poor food and not much better service. Cutlery dirty. 0 food hygiene standard, not displayed in window. Will hustle you in even when just browsing. Added undeserved tip automatically to bill. Would not survive but for tourist trade. Avoid.

• Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
“One of the better ones...”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've been working my way along the sprawl of Chinese restaurants on Gerrard Street over the years, and to be honest in my experience there isn't a hell of a lot to choose between them. Nearly every one of them gets pretty mixed reviews on Tripadvisor anyway. They offer up much the same choice of anglicised Chinese fayre - although this one I have to say is one of the better ones. Not startlingly better, but sufficiently better to say I'd give it a second go. Went for the Peking set menu for 2 at £16.50 per head plus a bottle of rather average white wine for £18. First impressions count and and having a teenage girl dressed in a hoody and a tracksuit greet you through the door isn't exactly the welcome one expects. She was polite enough though....

Food was perfectly OK - for our £32 we got some dim sum soup, crispy duck (best I've had in Chinatown to date), and a main ('im indoors went for the pork, I had the sweet and sour chicken, both with mixed veg and egg fried rice). Overall I went away thinking I got my 55 quids worth. Although as it was getting near closing time I got the distinct feeling we were being rushed to pay the bill and leave - at least they greeted us on the way out.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
“Speak as you find!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had food here early evening during the August holidays. Despite what some reports on this site say, our meal was more than acceptable. We had a menu for two persons. started with crispy duck, with a follow on of the usual choice of dishes. The food was well presented and the staff were quite friendly.
Quite good value for money, and we didn't encounter the awful standards that some reviewers seem to have reported.

Morecambe, England, United Kingdom
“The worst Chinese ever.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you want good, authentic Chinese food, in nice surroundings, served by polite friendly staff the I can ony suggest going to an Indian restaurant because you have more chance of the above happening there than you have at the Golden Pagoda.
The most miserable woman "greeted" us, we ( family of three) were stuffed in a corner upstairs which was like being sat at the back of a suburban bus, in spite of there being plenty of space downstairs. The choice of food was poor at best, the speed of servoce was such that if we ordered chicken then we had time for it to resurrect and the quality was without a doubt the worst I have ever tasted. Crispy Shredded Chilli Beef was crispy and that was it. This was the worst example of food I have ever seen and what concerns me is that being in Londons Chinatown many foreign visitors will go here and get entirely the wrong impression. Don't only NOT go here, but tell strangers in the street not to.
I have enjoyed food poisoning more than I enjoyed this place!

1 Thank Elwood_B_Blues
Elyria, Ohio
“Good Service...Good Food”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

In our walking around we found the London Chinatown area and picked out this restaurant to try. We had a fixed price multi-course meal that was really very good, though pricey by American standards, but prices in London are generally higher than they are in large US cities anyway.
We tried another less expensive restaurant in Chinatown on another day but found this place to be much better.
Size will fool you, main floor is rather small but the stairs will take you to a 2nd and 3rd floor, so even if it looks full, there's probably a table elsewhere for you.

Visited August 2013