“Great Place to eat for next to nothing”
Review of Bistro 1 - Beak Street - CLOSED

Bistro 1 - Beak Street
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Great cheap eats in the middle of London!

I've eaten at the Southampton St one before so visited the Bleak St branch a few days ago after a meeting in London.

In short, I just dont think you can go wrong if you want a 3 course lunch for less than £10 in the centre of London...

Waiters are very friendly, drinks aren't over priced and food is tastey and decent quality.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

The mezze and hummous starter was nice with the basket of flatbread. However, the main courses were disappointing. The vegetarian moussaka was overcooked and there wasn't much too it apart from cheese and potatoes and the potatoes were brown and overcooked. My partner had the lamb kebabs and one piece of the lamb wasn't cooked properly. Part way through our meal, someone came to enquire about collecting bins (on a Sunday evening?) and the service was OK but not very friendly. The toilets were a bit grubby, with the bin overflowing with paper towels despite the fact that the place was very quiet (only us two there). To top it off, they added service charge to the bill, which was over 10%.
I've found some great cheap places to eat in London, especially around Soho, but this will not be added to the list.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This restaurant has no frills,just good,honest,cheap food.We linked up with my cousin at this restaurant after seeing 'The Jersey Boys' i'd checked it out on tripadvisor first and it bears out all the good reviews it's had.The food was simple all around the med type fare and it went down a treat.One gripe though,the toilets really do need an upgrade! and maybe the kitchen staff(who you pass on your toilet visit!)could dress like they want to give the impression they give a danm about hygiene! not smart at all!. My advice is,wear blinkers so that you concentrate on the lovely food! will definately look this small chain of bistros up again.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband and I went to see a show in London , then wanted somthing differant to eat, came across this place, Looked ok from the outside, few people in, round 5.00 pm so a good sign where other places where empty, nothing special regarding the decor, good size menu, not to much but just enough, I had the spicy chicken he had mixed Meze
the speed of service was great food arrived hot, very tasty, for main I had lamb kebab rice and salade He had Penne pasta chicken in hot tomaote sause, tasty but not hot but spicey both dishes 2 cokes less than 25.00pounds , overall good BUT the loo's are very smelly, smells of damp and drains also really small do not enter if you are a size 12 plus,

Reviewed January 1, 2012

I agree with those who mentioned the poor service. They are friendly guys, food ok to good but that's not enough.

I ordered a meze plate for the starter. I cannot have dairy so I asked if I could have my meze plate without the yogurt based meze. I was advised not to 'worry' about it and following that I was advised that I could just not eat the yogurt based meze. And when my order came, the yogurt based meze was mixed with some of the other mezes as they were placed next to each other.

When I ordered my main, I asked if I could have the spinach without the cream. I was advised it was not possible. I am easy, therefore I simply asked to have the dish without the spinach. There was indeed no spinach on the plate but cream all over the fish!!! (there wasn't supposed to be cream on the fish but probably they decided I should have some as I didn't want the creamed spinach – totally missing the point in regards to why I didn't want the spinach)

I was appreciated when I kindly explained that I could not eat it and was offered a new plate. But this time I had only one piece of salmon steak instead of two. Probably because what happened was my fault?

I left without making any complaints but care for a bit of attentive service, therefore not going again.