“I can't believe people have not totally loved this place !”

The Bermondsey Square Hotel
Ranked #285 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hereford, United Kingdom
“I can't believe people have not totally loved this place !”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed there on a Sunday night deal, and staff were always really courteous and helpful. It is easy to dislike London hotels, as there is such a premium on space, and hoteliers are known to take advantage. But this is a splendid exception, the staff were universally friendly and nothing (within their power) was too much trouble ! The restaurant must be one of the best bargains in London, and the standard of cooking is absolutely excellent.

What more can I say .. top rating, will return !

Room Tip: I was on the Square side of the 6th floor, pretty happy there .. fitness etc is an option at a nearb...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Wild-Horses-Photo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a very modern hotel, with spacious rooms and a huge shower. Free WiFi, Apple TV, comfy bed, but best of all room service was delicious. So often room service menu is an afterthought at best, yet I ordered tomato and basil soup, chicken Caesar and pumpkin brûlée, all of which could have been very basic, but was excellently cooked, fresh herbs, toast Parmesan bread with the soup, and the dessert was fabulous. The hotel is in a very pleasant location, close to a church yard, quiet, but close to shops and bars. Excellent for work or leisure.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely hotel. Very good value and so near to Tower bridge. We had a lovely dinner downstairs in Greg's Bar & Grill and breakfast was a well set out help yourself with hot food ordered. The room was clean and modern with an IMac in each room. With comfortable bed and cosy duvet. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We spent one night at The Bermondsey Square Hotel and largely enjoyed our stay.

We received a pleasant welcome on arrival from the receptionist who was polite, efficient and interested in us and our journey to the hotel. She also kindly booked us a taxi without hesitation.

Our first room had a strong smell of cigarette smoke in it so I popped to reception who quickly apologised and changed our room.

The room itself was spotlessly clean and although not the biggest it was adequate for a comfortable stay. Everything was present and functioning including an iron, ironing board and fridge.

The bed was comfortable and the bedding was luxurious and we both slept very well. There was no local noise at night or from within the hotel.

The shower leaks from underneath the shower door badly. You end up with more of a wet room, which can be troublesome if you get dressed and need to nip back into the bathroom.

The most disappointing thing for us was the breakfast. The staff looked like they had turned up not expecting to be working. No one had a set uniform and didn't look smart - jeans and trainers?! It wasn't explained what we could help ourselves to and the menu didn't make things any clearer. Coffee and hot water for tea were provided at a buffet style table that you could help yourself to but it was tepid at most.

My husbands sausage was over cooked and inedible at one end. My bacon was wet like it had been cooked in the microwave.

If like us you want to visit the main tourist areas of the city such as Covent Garden etc I would consider the location of The Bermondsey. It's not as close or central as you may think and we ended paying quite a lot in taxis. I wish I had researched the location a bit more and paid to be more central but this is by no means the fault of the hotel.

I wouldn't stay at The Bermondsey again purely based on its location. If you are in the area and want that area then give it a go!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Arrived at the Bermondsey Square Hotel on a Sunday way before the designated arrival slot and was shown staight to my room. 5th floor with a brilliant view. Started with a shower and tidy up after the journey. En suite was excellent as were the facilities in the room. TV was an apple monitor with a good range of sky progs. and easy to operate. Work station was great and extra coffee plus fresh milk no problem. Service was good with a smile. Bed was super comfy and plenty of light for reading. Breakfast was laid out by 0700, everything that I asked for was provided with enthusiasm and after an ample feast I was packed and on my way to London Bridge tube station by 0745. Altogether a really fantastic experience with absolutely no downsides. I would strongly recommend the Bermondsey Square Hotel to anyone wanting a base for business meetings in the city and surrounding areas. Just as a PS. If anyone is an early riser it's an awe inspiring walk at dawn down to Tower Bridge and along the banks of the Thames past HMS Belfast, as someone once said,' I shall be back'.

Room Tip: All in my script.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

ROOM

On the small side, but adequate. Well equipped, with hairdryer, iron all in the room. Imac/telly was temperamental - refusing to work in the morning, and crashing when certain items were selected.

Toiletries OK - make up wipe a nice touch, though would expect a separate conditioner in a 4* hotel.

The shower floods the rest of the bathroom (there's a drain under the sink, so it's almost like this is expected), but is an amazing shower - huge, and very powerful.

Very comfortable bed, decent curtains block out the light, and the net part means you can still see the view whilst maintaining privacy from the buildings opposite/

View: pretty good... looking over towards Westminster, we had a good view of the Shard, London eye and everything in-between.

SERVICE

OK, efficient rather than friendly - and certainly not the most accommodating I've experienced at a hotel. Adequate though.

Check in is from 3, and out at 11 - rather than the more usual 2 and 12 - not sure why this needs to be so.

BAR/RESTAURANT

OK. Service very slow at the bar. Draught beer was all off as they were cleaning the pipes - disappointing, especially when the bottled beers selection was weak and very pricey.

Didn't try the restaurant (there's a lot of options nearby so we ventured out), but it looked decent enough for us to say we'd try and pop back for dinner sometime.

ROOM SERVICE

I'm sure the room service, when available is fine...

However, it isn't really 24 hours - I called at around 11, just after the restaurant service had finished wanting something from the 24 hour menu - to be told the restaurant had closed, and over the shift change they didn't really offer the 24 hour menu.

They were accommodating enough to say if I was willing to come down and sign something (as they'd closed the tills for the night) then they would do this for us - but as I pointed out here: kind of defeats the object of room service...

I was then told that only sandwiches were served outside the restaurant hours (despite the in-room menu having a cheese board, meat board and ice cream on it as well) - and that the in-room information should have been updated.

I have no issue with any of this being as it is - more that it simply is not good enough in any way to read the room service menu, to phone and be told something entirely different from what is presented in the room information. Nor for it to be advertised as 24 hours when it isn't...

The information on the imac computer/TV was out of date too since it referred to the restaurant as Alfie's rather than Gregg's as it now is. And there was a Westfield information leaflet that was over a year out of date.

It felt lazy as much as anything - and that doesn't really make it feel like this hotel is making much of an effort with it's customers - not a feeling you want in a 4* hotel.

This review rating would be higher were it not for these issues - there is little that irks me more than something so simple to sort out, or indeed, any kind of service oriented business resting on their laurels. Not good enough.

LOCATION

Not bad - bit off the beaten track of tourist London, but entirely dependent on what you're after.

OTHER

Wi-Fi terrible - difficult to connect and intermittent.

I probably wouldn't stay again - I think there are far better hotels in the same price range in London.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I got a significantly reduced deal on this hotel and based on my experience I would be reluctant to pay full price to stay here.

The location is excellent, situated in a quiet square with an independent cinema and bar right outside the door and a supermarket which is open every day until midnight which is very convenient. It's a 10 or 15 minute walk to London Bridge tube station but Bermondsey Road has an excellent selection of pubs, restaurants, cafes and shops to choose from.

I felt the service leaves a little bit to be desired. It's a pretty basic requirement to be warm and friendly when you work on the front desk in a hotel but staff often didn't even acknowledge us when we were entering and leaving and the check-in and out experiences were efficient rather than welcoming. Also the i-tv thingy was a bit temperamental and I had to keep switching it on and off at the mains to get it to work properly.

On the up side I called front desk to ask for an iron and it was brought up in a couple of minutes. Also you had a view of the Shard from the room, but then you have a view of the Shard from most of London so not much to get excited about!

Overall I would like to stay in the hotel again because the area is great but based on my experience I would look at other options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple