“Busy, vibrant London pub”
Review of The Silver Cross

The Silver Cross
Ranked #4,669 of 23,041 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Busy, vibrant London pub”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were going to the theatre and wanted an inexpensive, quick lunch and that is just what we got! The pub was extremely busy-it was Saturday lunchtime-but the staff were cheerful, attentive and friendly. We shared a trencher of pulled roast beef, reasonably priced, very tasty and nicely presented. The food arrived in good time although we had been warned that there might be a longish wait. My husband enjoyed the choice of bitters on offer and the wine was good too.
Very clean toilets!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bea_K186223

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading
“Busy average London pub just off Trafalgar Square”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Typical Central London pub near Trafalgar Square along Whitehall. Food okay. Decent selection of beers and decent service. This pub is a bit tatty and can get very busy.

• Visited October 2013
Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia
“Yummy fish & chips”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had to order our food from the bar, service was fast & I love the fish & chips! Portion was great!

1 Thank debyong
Bath, United Kingdom
“Do not even bother going into this place especially for food”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were visiting London for the day and finished a walking tour in Trafalgar Square on a Sunday. We thought about going to the Italian restaurant just down the road but I really wanted a traditional pub meal. ( bad move)
The pub was busy and we ordered our food at exactly 13.00 my children were paying for their own meals so we had 3 separate orders but all ordered one after the other.
We then waited 35 min for a meal to arrive which was cold the rest of us sat there waiting and waiting and aft another 20 mins I had had enough and went to complain and then still waited another 10 mins for the food to arrive.
My son had a steak and there are no steak knives my daughters fish finger sandwich was cold and I had the so called roast beef which had clearly been microwaved and the so called roast potatoes had been deep fried.
All in all we spent 90 mins in this place and was ripped off at the same time.
This place is badly managed.
Stay away and go somewhere else.

• Visited September 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Silver Cross, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear applegate69

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Silver Cross in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Taylor Walker
Boston, Massachusetts
“Busy bustling English Pub”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We chose this Pub near our hotel after peering into 4on the same street. Large pub inside with many tables throughout. It was crowded with travelers and business people alike. Husband had the steak and ale pie with peas carrots and mashed on the side. Served with gravy. I was in the mood for fish and chips, but portions on others plates looked large so I choose the cod goujons(long smaller pieces) and a side of chips. It was more than adequate for me. Husband initially chose the chicken mushroom pie, but was disappointed it was sold out @4:30pm. We ha d a pint each of local brew and bill came to a reasonable 23 pounds. Enough room for all to enjoy their own party of friends. Signs everywhere (in many pubs in that area) to watch your bags. Nothing new for city atmosphere but be aware. You do need to go up to the bar and order your food and drinks, but staff brings food when it comes out hot. Enjoyable.