“What a lesson!”

The Blood and Tears Walk
Ranked #61 of 710 Tours in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 'The Blood and Tears Walk' has a cult reputation with massive 'word of mouth'. Going for eighteen years, it is one of the best known London walks and has earned the right to be called a horror classic. Guide Declan McHugh who wrote the best-selling 'Bloody London' has been on television and radio and many thousands come from all over the world each year to learn about Jack the Ripper, other London serial killers, witchcraft, executions, conspiracy theories etc. This tour meets outside the only exit at Barbican station and ends two hours later at Holborn underground station. Chilling, entertaining and informative!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 12, 2013

In September 2002, I was spending a week in London with my final year students from an Austrian grammar school (Wörgl / Tyrol - to be precise). We were all really impressed by the tour Declan took us on. In their feedback notes my students ALL referred to the tour as THE highlight of our London activities. One of my students even contacted Declan afterwards in order to collect more material for her project in her A-levels in English.

Our school has not sent students to London in the last 11 years for a number of reasons - money and safety aspects being among them. (No, it was not all the bloody crimes Declan was telling us about!)
Well, we like to give it a new try, and a week in London with next year's final year students has to be prepared. My colleagues and I would certainly like to do the blood and tears walk with Declan McHugh again!

There are newer reviews for The Blood and Tears Walk

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Recently, three American, adult chaperones and I took 26 students to London, and thought The Blood and Tears Walk would be perfectly suited for our students. Our assumption was accurate. Even though it was a chilly February night in London, our students did not seem to notice the cold because Declan delivered an exceptional tour. One thing I enjoyed the most about the tour was the fact that we walked past historical cites we may never have experienced had we not gone on this tour, e.g. St Bartholomew's Hospital, Old Bailey. Declan is an exceptional story teller. His enthusiasm mixed with humor kept the group rivoted. Many of our students expressed their anxiety and fears at the conclusion of the tour. At the end, he signed his book which I thought was a kind gesture. Something of an historical note which he mentioned was the "true" Jack the Ripper, Dr. Francis Tumblety, is actually buried in a cemetary in Rochester, New York which is where we are from. We may have to send him a charcoal rubbing of his tomb stone! Thanks for entertaining us, Declan.

1  Thank KeGillett
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I went on this tour on a cold evening with a group of about 20. I highly, highly recommend that you take this tour! It's spooky, but well researched and well delivered. Declan is able to engage all ages (we had teens to older adults on our tour) and really makes you think about the killers' motives. You will feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up at some of the sites because they're just that creepy.

As a side note, Declan is professional and easy to work with when emailing about arranging your tours. He also wrote a book that you can purchase at the end of the tour (he'll sign it for you).

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We took this tour during our 2 week stay in the UK. The tour is quite extensive featuring a lot of dark alleys but it lacked atmosphere and felt more like a recital of various horrors. The Guide began well but seemed to lose interest. Perhaps he found our small group uninspiring. Would not recommend.

7  Thank Donald O
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We joined Declan one windy November evening outside the Barbican tube station at 7pm. Our group was very small, and I’m sure that a larger party would have added to the atmosphere, but Declan delivered the tour with enthusiasm and panache. For the next two hours we learnt about the darker side of London, some familiar villains and some unfamiliar. A really enjoyable tour, informative and fun. Put on your deerstalker and be prepared to do some detective work.