“Great hotel in Central London, but nowhere is perfect....”
Review of Sanctum Soho Hotel

Sanctum Soho Hotel
Ranked #507 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed in this hotel In April 2010. Myself and my girlfriend were booked into the hotel by my family as a joint 21st birthday gift for 2 nights.

First, the good points.

The hotel food was fantasic, particularly the breakfasts. You can see why they charge the prices they do!

The Location is also first rate and several tube stations are within a 5 minute walk. Saville row and Carnaby Street are just a stone's throw away, as is the famous Ice Bar!

The desk and restaurant staff were exceedingly friendly and the hotel facilities were first class.

The beds were some of the most comfortable I have ever slept on!

Now for the few little complaints.....

The rooms, whilst clean and extremely comfortable, did not seem to warrent the somewhat excessive prices paid. Our first night was spent in a "Superior Double" Room at a rate of £250.00 per night, and whilst lavishly decorated and again, extremely comfortable, seemed a little on the small side for the price. I suspect this room's price was afforded by it's convenient location and the overall facilities of the hotel.

After leaving on the first day, we came back, somewhat exhausted from exploring central london, to find that on our floor there was some decoration work going on, which resulted in an overpowering smell of paint stripper in our room, which was, incedentally, un made. For the price that was being paid, we were a little surprised at this and went to reception to complain, where in my opinion, the staff went above and beyond all expectations before we could even begin our complaint by upgrading us to a "Junior Suite" at no extra cost (thankfully! as these rooms are £360.00 per night!). In my opinion, this upgraded room would have been more suitable at the price of £250.00 p/n, but I am certainly not complaining here and would like to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and say that our room was not made up due to the fact that they intended to move us to a different room because of the construction works.

In all, this was a fantastic hotel in a central location, if not a little over priced for some rooms....but I suppose that's London for you! If you can afford it, which we most certainly could not had it not been a birthday gift, you should certainly stay at the Sanctum Hotel!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed 2 nights in a 4th Floor Deluxe Double room.
Emailed hotel prior to stay to confirm check-in times. Check in 15:00 Check out 12:00
We arrived a little early at 14:40 and dropped off our luggage. We were told we would be called when the room was ready. By 16:00, no phone call, so we headed back to check on progress. Still not ready. 30 mins later, we were finally able to get into our room.
Subsequently found out that housekeeping was done from 08:00-17:00, so this may have been the reason for the delay. Why then offer check in at 15:00, why not make it 17:00? This unfortunately put the first impressions a little low.
The room was lovely, although the promised street view didn't materialise and we got a view of the back of the hotel. We didn't have a great deal of interaction with the staff at the hotel, but the concierge that was mentioned in other reviews was around and the little interaction we did have suggested that he would have lived up to his reputation.
After reading numerous poor reviews about the restaraunt, we decided to avoid this, so I can't comment on this.
Overall, I would be prepared to stay there again, but I can't say it will be top of the list.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Just returned from two nights at The Sanctum , WOW !. Beautiful decor , great location , fab staff . Sat in the rooftop hydro spa till four in the morning drinking champagne , what more do I need to say !!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Rooms are a little on the small side - but that's expected in a capital city - decor very and flashy but in a fun way. It still squeezes in everything you need.
Front of house staff were fantastic - when I asked if there was a cigarette machine, the lovley young chap on reception said there was but it was expensive and offered to pop round to the local shop and get me some instead!
Restaurant staff were not too good - could do a little better. I appreciate they are busy at peak times during breakfast but after asking 3 members of staff for a table and waiting 25 mins we gave up and went elsewhere.
Overall i'd stay there again - and i'd remember my swimsuit so I could try out the hot tub on the roof terrace.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Spending a weekend in London with tickets for the musical Jersey Boys
(and finding that our favourite hotel, the fabulous Soho Hotel, was
fully booked), we decided to stay at the Sanctum Soho. Having read
glowing reviews, and having seen the recent TV series about it, we were
looking forward to a memorable stay. Situated in a quiet side street
close to the West End theatres the Sanctum Soho oozes sophistication -
all dark wood and polished leather. The welcome from the reception staff
and concierge was warm and couldn't be faulted, and the little touches
(like the jewel encrusted door handle to our room) were impressive. Our
Deluxe double room, although small, was excellent and well equipped -
although why a double room is only fitted with one arm chair I've no
idea. Also, call me old fashioned but I feel the only colour for a
bathroom suite is white. The black colour scheme including bath, toilet
and wash basin really wasn't to my taste. We had a fabulous evening at
the show but, getting back to the hotel afterwards, found that the very
loud party on the roof top terrace kept us awake for a while (we were on
the 4th floor directly below the party).
The next morning was our first opportunity to sample the delights of the
restaurant - sadly we were very disappointed and the great impression we
had built up thus far was very much dented. We arrived to find the
restaurant doors closed, the place completely deserted and no staff to
be seen anywhere. Eventually the concierge spotted us waiting and told
us to sit down while he went off to search for the restaurant staff.
Finally a pleasant but very hassled looking girl arrived to take our
order. We waited....and waited......and waited. Despite several members
of staff wandering around aimlessly it took nearly 40 minutes to produce
2 coffees and two (dry) bowls of muesli, then another 20 minutes to
appear with 2 cooked breakfasts. Even then there were some mistakes in
what we'd ordered but we were so hungry we couldn't bear waiting any
longer. Considering there were only two tables occupied in the whole
place taking over an hour to serve two breakfasts was hardly great
service - heaven knows how they would have coped it the restaurant had
got really busy. When we left one of the staff members apologised to us
for the bad service and explained they had a lot of new staff on duty,
and offered to take one of the breakfasts off the bill.

In summary a lovely hotel and very convenient for the West End, (and a
special mention to the concierge - sorry but don't remember his name but
he was wearing a distinctive bowler hat - a lovely guy and a real asset
to the hotel) but a big thumbs down for the service provided in the
restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MagicDave
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The hotel is very well situated in the West End. First impressions were promising, welcoming, efficient front desk and shown to our room. The room, a junior suite, was great, though somewhat smaller than expected. Smart decor, comfy bed, double ended bath at the foot of the bed. Nice range of toiletries, but amazingly, no tea or coffee making facilities! The room backed onto the 24hr bar, so even after the disco finished at 11.30 it was still noisy. Our main complaint was the restaurant. We had reserved a table via the front desk but on arrival no table had been set. Far from the stylish setting promised on the hotel website the retaurant resembled a cafe with a bar. No tablecloths, no candles, flowers, nothing. Adjoining tables were used by people on laptops conducting buisiness, not eating. The waiter first brought us the Breakfast menu, it was 8.30pm! The food was well below expectations. The rotisserie chicken, whilst tasty, came completely on its own and was too big. The dessert took over 30 minutes, and arrived only after we had reminded the staff. All in all a potentially good hotel completely let down by a very average restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed at the Sanctum Soho instead of my usual go-to London hotel choices, but won't make that mistake again. The hotel is very clean and the staff was great, checking me in early after my overnight flight arrival. But I just can't recommend the hotel to anyone given how noisy it can be and that, no matter how well informed you might be, the standard size room is tiny.

I realized, in retrospect, that what my corporate travel site deemed a "standard room" is what the Sanctum calls a Crash Pad. The room was large enough for a bed and space enough to pass by the foot of the bed on the way to the bathroom. The bed was quite comfortable, but that's something I expect in any decent hotel these days. The room had a few hooks for hanging clothes and a small cabinet for clothes which doubled as a nightstand.

The bathroom was clean but very small with a sink, toilet, and shower head. The shower isn't separated from the rest of the bath- it's tucked into a corner directly behind the sink. A drain in the floor takes care of the water though it felt like a race to shower before the puddle on the floor advanced past the bathroom door and into the bedroom.

On the plus side, there was free wifi in the room. But no desk (or even a chair) where a laptop might be utilized.

Larger rooms are available and look quite nice, but the cost to upgrade was close to 130 GBP a night on top of an already significant room rate.

Last, I would warn guests about the roof-top honor bar. It sounded like a lovely feature. Less so in the middle of the night when I could hear roof-top bon vivants above my 4th floor room and trudging down the staircase past my room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business