“Not recommended for business travel”
Review of Sanctum Soho Hotel

Sanctum Soho Hotel
Ranked #537 of 1,069 Hotels in London
American in Paris
“Not recommended for business travel”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I reserved the Sanctum Soho Hotel for a one-night stay for two colleagues last week based on reviews here and from the images on their website.

Was very surprised to see said colleagues in my office on Monday laughing their heads off trying to explain the ambiance of the hotel: bling, skulls, heavy metal, decadent baroque and rock n'roll, jacuzzi in the bar, were a few of the adjectives I managed to catch through the guffawing.

While they were very happy with the location and the facilities (comfortable bedding, calm rooms, helpful staff), they were a bit taken aback by the decor and don't recommend the hotel for business travel.

I, however, would like to check it out for my next London weekend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AmericaineAParis
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review.
We are indeed different form big corporate chains and we have the pleasure of welcoming a lot of business travelers due to our relaxed atmosphere and our excellent location.
We look forward to having you stay with us to experience a boutique hotel in central London with a hint of quirkiness.
Paul-Eric Licari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berwick, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Loved!! My 2 nights at the Soho was the best part of my trip. The location was A1, the staff where very helpful & friendly & the rooms where just what is need when you are just off Regent Street, LONDON TOWN! I loved the roof top terrace & the artwork was also very interesting. I love that kind of art & photography so I was always looking around trying to take it all in. The night manager was extremely helpful with printing off maps & giving me some great knowledge of the area & what to go see etc. The decor was really funky but classy. I had a very memorable stay & when I am back in the U.K I will be stopping over again. Thank you

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hi Delia,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We look forward welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Background: I stayed here 2 nights so that I could catch up with friends when passing through London. When I checked in I was shown to a room on the back of the building (room 1) - no view - with a very high bath and no shower. Since I was on crutches I asked to be moved to another room (room 2) which overlooked the street. Both were on the First Floor. There were good and bad points to the hotel:

Good:
- Feels like a B&B rather than a huge hotel (feels like being in a big house)
- Roof-top bar open as long as you need it (good for post-closing time drinks with my friends)
- Nicely decorated
- Good location
- The Internet was free

Bad:
- Feels like a B&B rather than a huge hotel (ie, there was a lack of professionalism with the staff - there was only ever one person on the desk, no good when you need help to your room with bags; when I called down to ask questions it was always "I'll see what I can do" rather than solutions)
- Style over substance? The room had a Wii and quite complicated remote controlled blinds, but it didn't have a kettle. When I called to request one I again was told they'd "see what they can do" but eventually was told I could get drinks from Room Service. Hmm. I'd rather have a kettle than a Wii - who stays in a Central London hotel and wants to stay in and play on the Wii? I assume they had games at reception, but I didn't ask and I wasn't told.
- Room 1's bedspread was dirty. Although I always take those things off the bed assuming they are rarely washed, if it has a stain on it then it's time for a spin in the washer!
- Room 2's bathroom (disabled bathroom) was a wet-room, but the water from the shower wasn't angled down the drain. It would flow all over the bathroom - everything ended up sodden. To make matters worse, the toilet would only flush every 10 minutes. Far too slow. Oh, and the fan was so loud it was like being in a wind tunnel.
- Room 1 had a funky kit that had sunglasses, suncream, "intimacy pack" etc for purchase. The disabled room didn't have this. Boo!!! Not that I'd have bought any of it...
- Room 2, being that it was overlooking the road, was quite noisy into the small hours. I guess this was from the bar on the corner rather than from punters from the hotel. At 1am I put in earplugs. Something to bear in mind if you're booking here perhaps. Perhaps request a back room or a higher room.

All in all it wasn't really what I'd hoped. It wasn't a bad experience, but I'd hoped for more... if I was staying in the Soho area again I don't think I'd return to the Sanctum Soho.

Room Tip: High floor to avoid bar noise from the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank twogwailos
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I am disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations.

I will conduct a meeting with staff members since we certainly don't want to offer the standard of service you described.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed one night and from start to finish found the staff helpful and attentive. Our room , Junior Suite, was cool and funky and we really enjoyed our stay. The location just off Regent Street was superb as we could walk to the shops. Next door is a great restaurant Nopi which is worth a visit.
The breakfast was really tasty and good value with great staff serving you. The roof bar was fun for a night cap and don't use the lift - the stairs have some interesting photos !

Room Tip: 301 was where we stayed and good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Madmagic1
Thank you very much for your amazing feedback.

We look forward welcoming you very soon at Sanctum Soho Hotel.

London
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We held our office party there in the restaurant and in the basement - nothing was too much trouble and the staff were endlessly helpful and effortlessly cool! Mark the owner came and met us all and made everyone feel they were in a home from home. I am really looking forward to getting to know the Sanctum and to staying there one day real soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SimonTrewin
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for leaving this amazing review Simon.
We are delighted your event was a success!
We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Before I moved to London, I stayed at the Sanctum when travelling on business. It wasnt the obvious choice but the best place for me to forget about work and unwind in a cool, fun atmosphere. The concierge, Marty, is hands down the best in the business, and Paul in reservations is fantastic. Today,, I live a mere 15 min walk away but decided to host my 40th birthday and all of my respective guests at the hotel for a weekend, and it was EPIC. Chloe, the event managers and Jose who runs the restaurant/bar staff were fabulous in helping me to plan the 2 day event. The venue itself is perfect for a party, be it the restaurant turned into a rock concert hall, the all night rooftop bar turned into a DJ and dancing session (there is also a cinema). All of my out of town guests were warmly welcomed, the rooms impressed (cool, eclectic but still very comfortable), and the staff was very helpful. The party was a wild success, as the hotel lives up to its signature "rock star hotel" status. We had the most amazing weekend and I can't thank the Sanctum team enough for making my 40th better than I had ever hoped. All of the guests loved their stay and I know if I was coming to London, for business or pleasure, I would book the Sanctum. Its warm, friendly, funky and fun. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooftop bar is fun anytime of day and anytime of year. Food at the restaurant (and room service...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Candace B
Dear Candace,
We are very happy that your event and your stay was a success. Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to celebrate many other events with you.
London
Reviewed November 28, 2012

First time stay recently. Terrible first impression standing like lemon being ignored by two people at check in. Great porter apologised and showed me up to room. Only crash pad but large bed and large disabled bathroom. Room hadn't been cleaned properly and last guests half empty drinks in mini bar which was not cleaned despite my request. When I retuned after a dinner told I could not use bar as private party. I complained and was taken up with my guests and have to say bar and service was fantastic.
There are better hotels in London but would stay again and give the hotel the benefit of the doubt for the bar alone !
Without bar rating 2 or 3

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JGRL
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry about the room issue which is a big surprise to me. I will have a meeting with the head of Housekeeping and make sure that this does not happen again.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to book a room and I will personally make sure that you have a wonderful stay.

paul-eric@sanctumsoho.com