“Couldn't ask for more!”
Review of Sanctum Soho Hotel

Sanctum Soho Hotel
Ranked #529 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have stayed in London many times for various reasons, be it business or leisure and this hotel tops all the others! For this particular stay i wanted a quick weekend getaway with my other half.

I was busy all week so one of my employees called the hotel directly on my behalf, she spoke to Paul who helped her find the best rates and giae loads of top tips (before we had even booked!) as i was looking for something different e.g. parking and restaurants. Once the reservation was complete Paul emailed me the confirmation again giving me more hints and tips! Fantastic service!

When i arrived at the hotel i couldn't of been happier with the location - was central enough to get pretty much anywhere by walking yet still had the charm of a small boutique hotel in a quiet area. The only downside was the lady i spoke to at reception. She had quite a bad attitude, im not sure whether this was because we were a young couple (early 20's) or if she treats every customer this way. I am a sales manager in retail and know the importance of not judging a book by its cover - something she may need to learn. The only thing that made me look past this was the fact they had upgraded our room for free! We were told the hotel had a private function on the roof terrace until 12 am - this didn't bother us as we had other plans for most of the night.

When we entered our room i was more than pleasantly surprised! After hearing about how small the rooms were i was slightly anxious. We had a Double Deluxe - a white and cream room with large wardrobe space, huge bed and plenty of room to get ready. The best thing about the room? The shower!!!! I find the quality of water pressure in hotels to be slightly weak - that is not the case here. We were late for our dinner reservations that evening as my other half spent too long in the shower! We also found the room was completely sound proof - couldn't hear a thing!

After our night out myself and my partner decided to have one last night cap upstairs on the roof top terrace. It had such a great atmosphere and a great bunch of people there! The drinks were slightly on the expensive side - I did expect London prices however we had just come from The Rooftop Gardens in Kensington. 2 Long Island Iced Teas at the rooftop was £25.80 - at the Sanctum £24.60 and the alcohol was not top shelf.

All in all this was a great stay! For my job i get to travel the world and stay in 5 star hotels so i do set my standards high - If anyone comes to London i would be more than happy to recommend this hotel - I'm sure i will return!

Room Tip: Double Deluxe - Its worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katie V
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Katie,
Thank you very much for your feedback!
I am glad you had a nice time with us at the Sanctum Soho! I just wanted to let you know that I have spoken to the lady at reception and apologize for the disagreement.

See you very soon!

Rooms Div Manager

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here with my OH for a birthday. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, and the cleanest I've ever stayed in. However, when we walked in, the staff at the desk seemed shocked and taken aback when I said I had a reservation. Anyway, we were seen to our room which was a good size. The four poster was huge and the details of the room - like the diamante door handles - really set it apart from the rest. I was hoping to have use of the roof terrace/hot tub etc as it was a special occasion and a surprise, but there was a private function on the terrace - and it was LOUD. We weren't too bothered by the noise, but if I'd been staying for business rather than pleasure, I would've complained. However, the location and decor make up for the rest, and we would stay again, purely because it's in such a great location - not so much for the service.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your kind comment!

We don't honor fully private functions on the roof anymore since a couple of month, so I am surprised.

In regards of the reception staff I am surprised as well and I definitely need to investigate who it was.

I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your feedback further.

Rooms Divisions Manager

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Seriously, what more do people want?! Stayed here last Monday as my friend and I had a function to attend in central London. Booked a crashpad on the day but received an upgrade on arrival from the wonderful Paul. The room was fabulous, realised firstly I'd forgotten my sunglasses, not to worry there are a great pair in the room on sale for £12 then realised I'd forgotten my shoes (I am aware that I'm an idiot) once again not to worry every shop you could wish for is within a three minute walk.
We were fabulously well looked after by Martin, the concierge. Woke up realising I'd left my dress on the roof top after a midnight plunge in the hot tub (told you I'm an idiot) it was promptly delivered to our room on a silver tray. To add to this it's only a second away from Nopi, two seconds from Polpo and three seconds from BobBobRicard. I'm never staying anywhere else in London ever again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Noodleheads
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comment.

It was a great pleasure having you stay with us!

We look forward welcoming you very soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was not a cheap hotel and after looking at other hotels which were cheaper we decided to pay that bit extra and book the soho sanctum.
On the website the rooms look big, with wonderful modern decor sadly this was not the case. The room has seen better days, very small, a little too dark and not very modern to be honest.
The bed was very comfy but I had a terrible nights sleep due to the bar/night club just up the street from the hotel, music was blasting out and lots of people were shouting and drinking on the street as it was a nice evening. When this finally stopped the bin men arrived really early in the morning.
I have stayed in much better hotels in London as we are frequent visitors and sadly I am not sure why this hotel was voted one of the best in London?
The gentleman who sorts out your car (costs 60 pounds to park!!!) is the best thing going for the hotel very helpful and friendly!
Sadly I will not be recommending this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarahloum

Dear Sarah,

Thank you very much for your constructive comment.

I am sorry about the noise disturbances you had. Our night security do their best in keeping the crowed tame, however it is Soho which is a busy and popular area of London. I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly as well, in order to find out in which room you stayed and to resolve the issues.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family was visiting me in the UK for the Olympics and we had originally booked at another hotel in London but had to leave as the "other" hotel was absolutely horrible. We were able to get a booking at Sanctum Soho at the last minute and the staff were very nice, accommodating and professional. The rooms were nicely decorated, clean and very comfortable. This hotel is in an excellent location as it is within walking distance and very close to Trafalgar square, Picadilly Circus and other popular London landmarks. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DawnRHermanns
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased that you had a nice stay with us.

We look forward having you again with us shortly!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Me and mate stayed we booked twin room but unfortunately when we arrived for some reason it was booked but were given an upgrade and blow up bed everything else was great we came back to the rooftop bar about 2am and asked jokingley if we could use the jacuzzi the girl said of course if we were not so drunk we would of cant wait to go again

• Stayed: October 2011

Hi George,

Thank you for your great feedback! We look forward welcoming you very soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

On the positive side...the hotel is in a wicked location..we had a lovely suite and the Concierge is perhaps the most genuine member of staff in the hotel...however..the hotel is next to a club so if you don't fancy a "thumping" that isn't self induced! of an evening...then do ask for a room on the other side to Warwick street. The rooftop bar was a sight to behold and after eventually getting some sleep at about 3am...the dustbin men were in action at 5! Double whammy! It did make me wonder if the chaise longy*.. In the bathroom was there specifically as this was the only relaxing part of the room...
A shame...it didn't ruin our stay as London was just amazing and we were determined it wouldn't ruin our Olympic experience but despite the amazing location, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to pals*

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanctum2011, Manager at Sanctum Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you very much for your review.

Following your comment we will contact the bar next door and follow up with our night staff. We are terribly sorry about the inconvenient.