“interesting cross-over between Polish and English gastro food”
Review of Tatra - CLOSED

Tatra
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Took some English friends here to introduce them to Polish cuisine. It was ok but the food was not "strictly" traditional and some seemed to be pre-made nevertheless it was quite tasty. Service was good. Nice decor and atmosphere. Good selection of vodka. Its a good place to go as a gentle intro to Polish cuisine with a twist. Dishes were on the expensive side in comparison to other Polish restaurants.

1  Thank mariabud

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Encouraged by the excellent reviews, I had chosen Tatra to introduce friends to Polish cuisine. And what a disappointment! Despite reservation 3 weeks in advance, the table wasn’t ready for us, we had to wait for another party to leave. Other then that the service was good.

The only dish that was actually fresh was the herring salad and crumble on the apple and rhubarb crumble. Everything else was definitely prepared in advanced, frozen and reheated – including pierogi!
In both duck and pork shrank, meat was very dry and very unpleasant to eat. Dumplings accompanying the duck were burned to the point that they were not edible. Seriously - nothing was fresh there (not even the cabbage side dishes!) – not tasty, really not nice to eat; in fact we haven’t finished the main courses.

Cream brule and crumble were OK, however cheesecake clearly wasn’t as both portions went back to the kitchen only half eaten.

This was an important dinner for me and I deeply regret choosing Tatra.

Perhaps the food was nice and fresh there in the past – not anymore!

Very, very poor quality of food.

1  Thank imagi
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I really enjoyed my meal here. The Polish staff were friendly and accommodating. We drunk 12 bottles of house wine at £13.50 a bottle and they have an impressive array of flavoured vodka. The food was hearty.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

My partner had arranged a surprise for me and took me to this restaurant. The menu has an excellent choice to choose from including the fabulous pierogi and bigos (hunters stew). The food reminded me of how mum used to make it and that's very high praise. The home made infused vodkas are excellent. My partner has never liked vodka but after trying through pear infused vodka, she changed her mind.

The food is prepared on the premises and beautifully presented. The service was impeccable.

All I can say is forget your other types of European cuisine and head over to the Tatra Restaurant. The price is very reasonable considering its location in Shepherds Bush. Value for money and excellent food with super service. Highly recommended without any hesitation.

It is also worth mentioning that the restaurant provides catering services for any occasion abduction their clientele base is impressive.

Well done Tatra - I hope you get loads of customers because your food, service, atmosphere and pricing is a perfect combination. We will return soon!

4  Thank BobsBobs
Reviewed August 5, 2011

A group of five, we dined there on a Thursday in August, so it was not very busy.
The group comprised of two English born, The other three born in the Czeck Republic, Slovakia and a Hungary (They have lived in the Uk for nearly over 30 years). So some expertise in east European food.

The decor is modern, with comfortable padded chairs, unlike the other east European restaurants that seem to favour the uncomfortable farmhouse rustic look.

The food was excellent. Probably the best polish food I have eaten. The vodkas are a bit average, nowhere near as good as the ones served at Zamoyski in Hampstead before it closed down.

Starters are around £6, Mains £12-15 and desserts £6

All in all a definite recommend.

3  Thank ARK2006