“Fantastic Steak”
Review of Goodman

Goodman
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodman is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Transit: Oxford circus tube station is within 1 minute walk
Description: Goodman is a uniquely British interpretation of a New York grill, offering the best beef from both sides of the Atlantic. Among the huge selection of meat we serve in our Mayfair restaurant is American USDA 'Prime' corn-fed beef, grain-fed Irish Angus, and various rare breeds from the Lake District. Every steak we serve from our extensive 'cut' list has been dry-aged on site - it's the best way to concentrate flavour - then we cook it over charcoal. To accompany your steak, we're proud of the American red wine collection we have amassed - we know it's the best way to complement red meat. Our Mayfair restaurant is located just off Regent Street.
“Fantastic Steak”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Was recommended Goodmans by a friend. The staff were fantastic & helped us pick a steak to share & recommended what side dishes. The steak was perfectly cooked & it was a fantastic meal! Best steak in London.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
“Best steak in London”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Having spent many years in the US I am always looking for restaurants that measure up to the US approach to quality steak. Goodman does it for me.

Usually I visit with clients but on my most recent visit I took my wife and our one year old son. The staff could not have been more gracious, friendly and helpful in accomodating us and we felt looked after from start to finish.

The food was excellent. I reccomend the Sweet Herring starter and follow that with any of the American beef cuts. Medium rare. Great fries. Happy days. If you have room for dessert, try the parfait with banana sorbet. The wine list is also a pleasure.

Ok. Its not cheap. But if its a great steak you are after, with service to match, in the heart of the Capital you cant go far wrong with Goodman

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MickHampshire
Stock, United Kingdom
“Poor!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Last time we visited this was a great restaurant, but sadly things have changed…Service was extremely slow (25 minutes between being shown the meat cuts and someone coming to take the order) and unprofessional (wrong orders taken and dessert wines served after the dish had been eaten – despite 2 reminders that we were waiting for wine). The cooking was not great – “medium rare” steaks served “medium to well” and requests for “medium” resulting in “rare” offerings. But the thing that rankled the most was the “scallops special starter” at £14 per portion. This turned out to be 1 (yes 1) scallop on a shell with a smear of bitter tasting puree or some sort…£14 for a single scallop and just to add insult it was overcooked and rubbery!! The manager excused the portion size by saying that “scallops are expensive” – well I buy good, fresh scallops on-line from Cornwall they work out at £1 apiece – and I only buy as a domestic consumer, not a restaurant! Total bill for 6 people including 3 bottles of wine at £25 was a shade over £500 – although the manager did have the good grace to take the £14 off for the scallop! Dreadful value, poor execution and shoddy service – we won’t be back.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank quin-i-bog
London, United Kingdom
“Nebraskan beef - possibly the best steak in London”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I have to declare an interest. I know the daughter of the man who promotes Nebraskan beef... So it was with anticipation that I took my family for dinner to sample the delights of Goodman in Maddox Street.

We ordered steaks - three filet and one rib eye, all USDA. They didn't disappoint. These steaks were melt in the mouth tender and wonderfully tasty. In the view of our table, easily the best steaks ever eaten by any of us (and I have had a few).

The only fly in the Goodman ointment is the price. A 250g USDA filet is £32. Total bill was £330 for four people, four aperitifs, three glasses of excellent wine and a single shared desert.
Was it worth it? Yes, if you've got the money to spend.

I could stop my review there. Although one doesn't go to a steak restaurant with starters in mind, I have to mention the tempura tiger prawns, which were v crispy and accompanied by avocado and a delicious curry sauce. A fabulous combination.

1 Thank RolloMcFluff
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good steak, probably about an honest 4.5”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a really nice meal here at Goodman. I had a USDA fliet steak that was quite good, probably better than 90% I've had elsewhere. It still isn't quite as good as Hawksmoor, but that is comparing it with the best. We also had tiger prawn tempura that was outstanding and a foie gras starter, that was okay to try, but not amazing. Of the steak restaurants I've been to recently this is certainly near the top and I would highly recommend it. I also like the location of the restaurant, just off of Oxford Street on an attractive side street. Cost was quite reasonable I thought for the value.

Visited March 2013