“A simply excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Madsen - CLOSED

Madsen
Cuisines: Scandinavian, Danish, European, Swedish, Norwegian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Madsen is a Scandinavian restaurant in South Kensington. We serve smushi, salads and warm dishes for lunch and both traditional and modern dishes for dinner. The restaurant has a light and warm interior with a terrace for drinks, meals and smoking. The restaurant further has a private dining/meeting room with AV facilities for up to 12 people. Large museums and venues like The Royal Albert Hall, Natual History and V&A museum are in walking distance.
London, United Kingdom
“A simply excellent experience”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'd read a mix of reviews about Madsen. I was keen to try it and delighted to see that the restaurant accept Taste Cards on Friday evenings. We arrived at the restaurant early which was no problem, we were immediately seated, we had a choice of seats and chose to sit in the window. I assume I was the only person who had booked at that time as the restaurant greeted me by my first name (a nice touch I thought).

We were presented we menus and what I found out was in-house baked bread. We were given a good amount of time to look at both the food and drink menus before we ordered. We picked two starters, herring and gravlax, both of which were well presented followed by two mains, a Wallenbergare and mixed meat balls, served with sides of mash and roast potatoes. Last course was a rhubarb trifle and a Swedish cheese board.

We drank a moderately priced Italian Tempranillo at £24.

The restaurant environment was clean and modern, it was clear that consideration had been given to the decoration and soft lighting. I've not eaten at many Scandinavian restaurants before but from my experience I'd highly recommend it and will definitely be going back.

• Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious, priced well and convenient for museum breaks.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Ate the pork meatballs (friskadeller) and they were amazing. The potato salad with it was beautiful and tangy. Nice restaurant, nice people and well priced.

1 Thank Aussie_Migrant
“Calm authentic Scandenavian”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Delighted to stumble upon this restaurant looking for a light lunch. From the outside we assumed it may be too expensive / formal for us but we were wrong and we received a very warm welcome. Open sandwiches with sparkling water and a glass of wine came to £22. Service was excellent. Spotlessly clean. Very calm but not at all intimidating. Thoroughly recommend. Only stones throw from South Kensington tube station.

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great Scandinavian in South Kensington”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Madsen is adjacent to the South Kensington Tube Station. We have dined here many times, and the experience has always been the same - great food, reasonably priced and excellent service. The swedish meatballs are beyond comparison - exceptionally good and very authentic (my favourite on the menu). Make a reservation and ask for the table by the window - makes the experience even more enjoyable.

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great Scandi Dinner for the Scandis”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

After a lovely trip to the V&A, we decided that it might be an idea to check out Madsen and see if the food lived up to our memories of our homelands.

I ordered the Hakkeboef (thick burger) with soft onions, beetroot and great thick sauce with potatoes. It was perfect with the right consitency and flavours as back home.

For dessert I chose the Apple Trifle which is a very traditional Danish dessert which consists of apple sauce, crumbled amaretto biscuits and whipped cream in layers - perfect finish for a nice day.

My friend had a selection of the Swedish dishes on the menu and reported that they were quite fitting with the memories with a few things which could be improved.

Overall a nice dinner, nice and attentive team and a very chilled out atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013