“Not as good as I was hoping...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Apsleys - CLOSED

Apsleys
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: Opened in September 2009, Apsleys, a Heinz Beck Restaurant is the first restaurant outside Italy created by internationally renowned chef, Heinz Beck, holder of three Michelin stars at La Pergola in Rome. Heinz Beck soon earned the restaurant its own Michelin Star, when in February 2010 it became the fastest London establishment to be bestowed with the award and maintained this award onwards. Apsleys? stunning Venetian-style dining room, with its glass roof and plush upholstery, is one of the most beautiful spaces for dining in London, an elegant setting for any occasion. Overseen by Beck and run by Executive Chef Heros De Agostinis, who used to work with Heinz Beck in Rome. Beck has created a menu that focuses on lighter Mediterranean-inspired dishes and is concerned with keeping dishes healthy and as approachable as they are exciting. Signature dishes include the magnificent Carbonara Fagotelli of melt-in-the-mouth pasta parcels. At lunchtime, Apsleys' 'Menu del Giorno' is a popular choice, while Beck's seven course tasting menu is ideal for celebratory dinners. The wine list has enormous depth and includes some of the rarest vintages in the world. Apsleys, a Heinz Beck Restaurant is located on the ground floor of The Lanesborough in the heart of Knightsbridge, the restaurant has two semi-private dining rooms available for larger parties.
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as I was hoping...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We took two clients to Apsleys for dinner at the beginning of November and I was really looking forward to a fantastic eating experience. There were good and bad points. Firstly, the Library bar was beautiful, great cocktails and the selection of olives/nuts were great. They even brought round a tray of canapes for us to sample. I thought it was the start of a great evening - very impressive.

Unfortunately the meal didn't live up to expectations - we had the tasting menu. The only course that I thought exceptional was the Flagotelli Carbonara, which was stunning. The other courses were ok and very edible, but certainly not memorable.

One of the biggest disappointments was the service, which I found quite harsh - one waiter kept saying "LADY" when he needed to serve food, wine, etc which I found quite odd and disconcerting. I asked for a copy of the menu (so we could check what we were eating for each course) three times before one eventually arrived.

Overall, loved the cocktail bar, but not the restaurant and found it quite "touristy", very expensive and wouldn't return.

• Visited November 2012
LanesboroughTeam, Manager at Apsleys, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent experience with us at Apsleys. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience of the restaurant service which may have caused during your dinner, I assure you we take comments very seriously and will make sure this will be communicated throughout the team to ensure it will never happen again. I look forward to welcome you back to Library Bar soon and perhaps have the chance to regain your trust in Apsleys.
Kind Regards,
Alexandre Caujolle
F&B Director

London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional and Superb Italian Cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Living in Kensington I often pass the Lanesborough Hotel in the evenings on the way home or on my way to meetings. Have always wanted to visit the hotel but also the famous Apsleys as I am quite a fan of Heinz Beck!

I came with my best friend for dinner last Sunday and what a delight it was. We had the tasting menu along with a selection of perfectly selected wines to compliment each course. Having visited many of London's fine dining offerings I have quite high standards and Apsleys really lived up to those.

Not only was the food just exquisite but the surroundings chic, elegant and intimate but the all Italian team were really a delight. Not only did they explain each dish of perfect details but they also explained to us why the wine was chosen with the dish and from which region of Italy it came from. This just added further to the experience as we imagined these beautiful regions of Italy and almost took us there in our minds.

Having an Italian partner I know quite alot of Italian food and I have to say that I was impressed. I shall be coming back again but next time with an Italian but I am sure that they will leave feeling just as fulfilled as I did.

jamielawrenceroberts@gmail.com

1 Thank Jamie R
London
“A high class lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

A much anticipated lunch at Apsley's brought with it high expectation, not only as it boasts a Michelin star but is also located at one of London's most prime boutique hotels. First impressions of the restaurant were good - a bright, open dining hall with comfortable seating and soft jazz playing in the background.

We opted for the three course lunch menu which was surprisingly introduced with a glass of sparkling Italian wine upon arrival. Highlights of the meal included a beautifully put together lamb salad starter, perfectly cooked halibut and sublime lime cheese cake amuse. We managed to get through seven courses in total, all of which were delicately flavoured, lightly seasoned and vibrant.

The service was attentive but not intrusive, possibly not as warm and friendly as we would have expected, and certain waiters could have spoken to us a lot clearer. We also had to ask the waiter for the bill at the end of our meal which was a little irritating.

Overall, a high class lunch in a beautiful setting which was great value for money. I would highly recommend.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased you have found the food delicately flavoured and the service as you have expected. I will share your review with the team which will make them very happy. We all look forward to welcoming you back at Apsleys.
Kind Regards,
Alexandre Caujolle
F&B Director
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Michillin i dont think so”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Food-
out of the 8 courses 3 of them had olive paste on
2 of the courses were tasteless and very similar (2 soup/ broth type things)
i know its a fish/ Italian style restaurant but after the 3rd serving of the same fish (cooked in a different way) i was bored,
The menu was very similar textured all similar cooking methods of sues vide (which is now old)

Staff
Rude obnoxious and very bad mannered
4th course came and the waiter put his arm across my face to pick up a knife, this to me is very rude. (i have eaten at over 10 Michelin starred restaurant,)

Lights
The lights kept going down and then you couldn't see the food so didnt really know what you were eating

• Visited August 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, I am so sorry to know that the food was not impressive and the service was not impeccable. We sincerely care about hearing our guests’ feedback on food, service and atmosphere and obviously we have failed on this occasion. Please accept our apologies and do reach out to me should you wish to discuss this further.
Kind regards,
Alexander Caujolle
Food & Beverage Director
+44(0)207259 5599
Kirkby Stephen
“Dinner for 2”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Booked a deal for 3 course signature dishes & a glass of champagne, food at "Roux at the Landau" where we ate the previous evening was far superior & cheaper. If advertised as a 3 course meal with a glass of champagne, I would expect champagne, not to be given a too fizzy italian wine! Would recommend "Roux at the Landau" they advertise champagne & give you champagne!

Visited November 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review. I am so sorry that we have not served you a glass of Champagne as it was advertised. We thrive to make our guests feel welcomed at all times and obviously we have failed this time with you. Please accept our apologies and do reach out to me should you wish to discuss this further.
Kind regards,