“Something not quite right...”
Review of Mezza Express & Grill - CLOSED

Mezza Express & Grill
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Camden
Description: When Mezza Express & Grill first opened in 2006, the owners had one guiding idea: to create a restaurant which brought all the traditions of Lebanese hospitality, ambiance and cuisine to Camden Town. Head chef crafted a menu which uses only the freshest and best quality ingredients to reproduce the dishes his grandmother cooked for him as a child. He wanted to recapture the warmth and atmosphere of his family kitchen, bring it to London, and share with new friends and old what authentic Lebanese dining means to him. It is one of his principles that the food he creates should be shared and enjoyed, and it is for this reason that Mezza Express & Grill operates on a principle of affordability, without compromising on quality.Meanwhile, there was designed a welcoming dining area inspired by Lebanese art and architecture, using simple stone arrangements embedded into the walls of the dining area to recreate the idea of the Lebanese landscape. Owner found himself reminiscing with customers and friends about the chawarmas (pita meat wraps) and grilled meat or fish dishes his grandmother would make for his family when he was a child. [Head chef] attempted to recreate the dishes using English cooking equipment, but the results were never quite the same as the tasty, aromatic food he recalled, so the owner arranged for a traditional, charcoal Lebanese indoor grill to be shipped to Britain so he could re-create and share the dishes of his youth. Now the grill has arrived and been installed and we all look forward to finally being able to pay homage to their grandmother's recipes by sharing with you the food they love.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were initially allocated a table in the dark at the back so rejected it and were given a table for 4 at the front, although there were just 2 of us. The maitre de was very friendly and hepful with our choices to start with, but when we were leaving there was no goodbye or thank you - we just felt ignored. The food itself WAS excellent and we recommend the prawns and mixed grill. We were there with a taste card so had 2 for 1 on mains and starters, as a result we had a service charge slapped on of £5.85 which seemed very cheeky to me, and I think they were just looking to make some of their money back. As a result I felt a bit ripped off and disappointed and although I really enjoyed the food I'm now not sure I'll go back. It's a shame because I could eat those prawns every day!

1  Thank fourleafclover73

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Try the liver starter it was very authentic. Went on a Friday night but it was empty at the back and lights were off.

Could do with bit of music and atmosphere. Used a voucher and you can choose from the whole menu except seafood which was reasonable.

I'd recommend it especially if you can get a deal.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

From the name I thought it was more fast food especially considering where it is in Camden but my boyfriend brought me here and the food was lovely. Looking at the poor reviews I am curious, all our food was piping hot, and I've eaten bad houmous before and it certainly wasn't bad when we ate here. The manager was very friendly and helped us with our choices, especially considering my food allergies. My boyfriend had the mixed grill, which looked lovely, but I was far to full to help out. The lamb looked lean, but as it's notoriously a fatty meat it's not one of my personal choices but my boyfriend noticeably enjoyed it, and cleared his plate.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I remember this restaurant used to offer a lunch buffet. It seemed to me that what is not sold is brought back to the restaurant on the following day, irrespective of the date the meal was cooked. Once I had a sort of vegetable rice and it wasn't freshly cooked. It seemed to me that the rice has been staying in a pot for days. I went there last year and tried a chicken dish. It was OK, but was a bit suspicious about the freshness of the food.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great food very good service, nice location.We had very tasty falafel and Mixed Meat Grill, fresh and perfectly cooked meat.