“nice place for afternoon tea”

Butler's at the Chesterfield
Ranked #911 of 23,866 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: "Listed in Tattlers restaurant guide 2007 under the Best of British section, Butlers Restaurant is part of the Chesterfield Hotel just off Berkley Square in the heart of Mayfair. The décor of rich reds and greens with English oil paintings is perfect for romantic dinners as well as being superb for discreet business meetings. The Sunday lunch in Butler’s restaurant is still a firm favourite, where you can enjoy succulent rib of beef from the carving trolley or a delightful trio of crème brulée. Staff are friendly in a relaxed yet formal atmosphere. What’s cooking? Modern British fare such as calves liver and bacon with caramelised shallots and mash potato or whole Dover sole grilled and served with sauce hollandaise, witch is famed for being the best in London. Some real old time tempters for desert such as sticky toffee pudding, honeycomb ice cream, butterscotch cheese cake, all made by their own pastry chef."
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Been there with a big group of friends for afternoon tea.. this place is located in the exclusive Mayfair area.. I was amazed with the hotel decoration, especially the lobby which was very victorian and have the famous chesterfield sofas.. Once we entered the Butler's, there was a staff greeted us and brought us to our tables.. The staffs there were very friendly without being annoying and intrusive.. I really like the sandwiches and pastries in the Butler.. they were nicely presented, my favourite is the smoke salmon sandwiches.. we spend time almost 5 hours there, everyone was very happy because of the food and the tea... at the end of our stay, one of the staff gave everyone a gold envelope, which I guessed have something like discount or voucher inside of it.. but the thing is we cant open the envelope until our next visit to the Butler's.. what a good marketing style! I can hardly wait to open the envelope, and also cant wait for my next visit to the Butler's!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Before I say anything else I must emphasise that we love the Chesterfield - it is homely, comfortable, superb position and the staff are lovely BUT we were disappointed with our Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day lunch. We were there last Christmas and everything was pretty perfect but this year the very smart serving trolley with the silver dome had been 'retired'. So, instead of a beautiful ham carved at the table for dinner it was a rather indifferent gammon steak on the plate and on Christmas Day, there was no whole turkey (regularly replaced) being carved on the trolley, the meal came plated complete with bullet hard sprouts and overcooked roast potatoes (the only potato served). £50.00 per head on Christmas Eve and £115.00 per head on Christmas Day. The other courses were okay but the highlights of the meals left a lot to be desired. To be fair to the Chef, I am sure that roast turkey with all the trimmings is not really his forte but after last year.............not so good. Sorry to moan but the food was one of the main reasons that we returned.

1  Thank Patricia C
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a great afternoon of Champayne tea. Keep asking for more sandwiches and cakes and they keep coming. We even took home what we couldn't eat. A great treat. Well worth it.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is my favourite place for a typical English afternoon tea. Having gone to many they are outstanding in terms of food, ambiance and service. The food is great and the scones are one of the best Ive eaten. They bring you as much as you need with nothing spared. The service is impeccable. We were looked after by Tomas who on the way out even gave us a dragon tea sample to take home. Id recommend the champagne tea option and don't leave without having the dragon tea (it opens up into a flower its incredible). I could not say enough good things about this hotel.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Six of my guests and I visited London last weekend for a 4 day shopping trip, staying at a 4 star hotel near Hyde Park. On our previous trip to London in March of this year, I had taken my guests for afternoon tea to the Ritz Hotel. We wanted to go somewhere differently on our recent trip and so I researched the internet. I was so impressed with the reviews of The Chesterfield Hotel afternoon tea, I booked for the 7 of us to test it out. We went last Monday afternoon and were not disappointed!
From the moment we arrived, we were greeted outside by the doorman - first name Nelson, then welcomed by the reception desk staff and then by a young polish man named Tomas in the Butlers Restaurant. We were served tea by a lovely and vibrant young lady named Hannah and her colleagues. Their service to us was most professional, being friendly and polite without being too over familiar. The food was to die for.......................
I will not mention everything we ate from the afternoon tea menu but will pick out their special Christmas menu sandwich of Turkey with Cranberry mayonnaise. This was one of the best sandwiches I have eaten! It was simple yet so light and tasty!
The selection of teas was extensive, giving us the flexibility and opportunity of trying more than one tea (if we wished). My guests took the opportunity of tasting teas that many of us had never even heard of before our visit. The pastries and scones were very tasty and overall the quality of what we ate compared and in some cases surpassed the Ritz Hotel tea experience!!!! All in all we had a fantastic experience. My fiancée and I have already decided we will repeat the experience on our next visit to London next year. Before leaving the hotel, we asked for a brochure which was promptly provided by a young man named Eliot who also gave us our coats back from the cloakroom. My guests and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to you for afternoon tea. From enjoying the luxury interior décor of the hotel to the professional service from its staff, we were truly pampered.. As a result, my fiancée and I are currently considering staying at the hotel on our return visit to London next year. Well done to everyone involved in making our visit to this hotel so special and so memorable.