“Best spot for an afternoon tea”

Butler's at the Chesterfield
Ranked #523 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: "Listed in Tattlers restaurant guide 2007 under the Best of British section, Butlers Restaurant is part of the Chesterfield Hotel just off Berkley Square in the heart of Mayfair. The décor of rich reds and greens with English oil paintings is perfect for romantic dinners as well as being superb for discreet business meetings. The Sunday lunch in Butler’s restaurant is still a firm favourite, where you can enjoy succulent rib of beef from the carving trolley or a delightful trio of crème brulée. Staff are friendly in a relaxed yet formal atmosphere. What’s cooking? Modern British fare such as calves liver and bacon with caramelised shallots and mash potato or whole Dover sole grilled and served with sauce hollandaise, witch is famed for being the best in London. Some real old time tempters for desert such as sticky toffee pudding, honeycomb ice cream, butterscotch cheese cake, all made by their own pastry chef."
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is my favourite place for a typical English afternoon tea. Having gone to many they are outstanding in terms of food, ambiance and service. The food is great and the scones are one of the best Ive eaten. They bring you as much as you need with nothing spared. The service is impeccable. We were looked after by Tomas who on the way out even gave us a dragon tea sample to take home. Id recommend the champagne tea option and don't leave without having the dragon tea (it opens up into a flower its incredible). I could not say enough good things about this hotel.

There are newer reviews for Butler's at the Chesterfield

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Six of my guests and I visited London last weekend for a 4 day shopping trip, staying at a 4 star hotel near Hyde Park. On our previous trip to London in March of this year, I had taken my guests for afternoon tea to the Ritz Hotel. We wanted to go somewhere differently on our recent trip and so I researched the internet. I was so impressed with the reviews of The Chesterfield Hotel afternoon tea, I booked for the 7 of us to test it out. We went last Monday afternoon and were not disappointed!
From the moment we arrived, we were greeted outside by the doorman - first name Nelson, then welcomed by the reception desk staff and then by a young polish man named Tomas in the Butlers Restaurant. We were served tea by a lovely and vibrant young lady named Hannah and her colleagues. Their service to us was most professional, being friendly and polite without being too over familiar. The food was to die for.......................
I will not mention everything we ate from the afternoon tea menu but will pick out their special Christmas menu sandwich of Turkey with Cranberry mayonnaise. This was one of the best sandwiches I have eaten! It was simple yet so light and tasty!
The selection of teas was extensive, giving us the flexibility and opportunity of trying more than one tea (if we wished). My guests took the opportunity of tasting teas that many of us had never even heard of before our visit. The pastries and scones were very tasty and overall the quality of what we ate compared and in some cases surpassed the Ritz Hotel tea experience!!!! All in all we had a fantastic experience. My fiancée and I have already decided we will repeat the experience on our next visit to London next year. Before leaving the hotel, we asked for a brochure which was promptly provided by a young man named Eliot who also gave us our coats back from the cloakroom. My guests and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to you for afternoon tea. From enjoying the luxury interior décor of the hotel to the professional service from its staff, we were truly pampered.. As a result, my fiancée and I are currently considering staying at the hotel on our return visit to London next year. Well done to everyone involved in making our visit to this hotel so special and so memorable.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The sandwhiches and pastries were nicely presented and tasty. However, although the wait staff was attentive when I selected the tea and service they disappeared after I received my food.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Butler's for traditional afternoon tea and we were not disappointed. Our servers were very friendly and attentive, and explained the menu completely. The tea selection is varied with choices of black tea, green tea and white tea. Highlights were the Chesterfield Blend and the Earl Grey. The tower of food included finger sandwiches, pastries and scones. Highlights were the egg mayonnaise on basil bread and chicken salad with almond crusted bread and the fruit tarts. We eat drank two pots of tea and when we ate all of the food, our waiter insisted on refilling our tower! We could barely eat another thing, so we ended up with a beautiful take-away box. I'd definitely recommend Butler's for this uniquely British experience.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had afternoon tea with four friends on Saturday and we all loved it. The surroundings were lovely, the service excellent and the food lovely. We were able to get extra tea and scones, cream etc easily and we refused other extras as we were so full. Left over cakes were boxed to take away. The restaurant was full and there was a great buzz. It was a really special experience.