“Lovely afternoon tea”

Ranked #677 of 24,121 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: "Listed in Tattlers restaurant guide 2007 under the Best of British section, Butlers Restaurant is part of the Chesterfield Hotel just off Berkley Square in the heart of Mayfair. The décor of rich reds and greens with English oil paintings is perfect for romantic dinners as well as being superb for discreet business meetings. The Sunday lunch in Butler’s restaurant is still a firm favourite, where you can enjoy succulent rib of beef from the carving trolley or a delightful trio of crème brulée. Staff are friendly in a relaxed yet formal atmosphere. What’s cooking? Modern British fare such as calves liver and bacon with caramelised shallots and mash potato or whole Dover sole grilled and served with sauce hollandaise, witch is famed for being the best in London. Some real old time tempters for desert such as sticky toffee pudding, honeycomb ice cream, butterscotch cheese cake, all made by their own pastry chef."
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Butler's for traditional afternoon tea and we were not disappointed. Our servers were very friendly and attentive, and explained the menu completely. The tea selection is varied with choices of black tea, green tea and white tea. Highlights were the Chesterfield Blend and the Earl Grey. The tower of food included finger sandwiches, pastries and scones. Highlights were the egg mayonnaise on basil bread and chicken salad with almond crusted bread and the fruit tarts. We eat drank two pots of tea and when we ate all of the food, our waiter insisted on refilling our tower! We could barely eat another thing, so we ended up with a beautiful take-away box. I'd definitely recommend Butler's for this uniquely British experience.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had afternoon tea with four friends on Saturday and we all loved it. The surroundings were lovely, the service excellent and the food lovely. We were able to get extra tea and scones, cream etc easily and we refused other extras as we were so full. Left over cakes were boxed to take away. The restaurant was full and there was a great buzz. It was a really special experience.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had the most amazing afternoon tea yesterday! Thank you! The staff is so friendly and fantastic. Special mention to Antonio who made the experience extra special. A very big thank you! The highlight was most certainly the Willy Wonka Chocolate Tea - absolutely delicious. The Chesterfield is a slice of heaven.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had breakfast here (included with our hotel room) with lots of food options and attentive staff. The dining room is lovely with lots of white orchids surrounding the central area like a hedge

1  Thank Julie L
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I booked a Traditional Afternoon Tea weeks in advance for a special occasion during our London visit after much research on TripAdvisor, email communications with staff, and tea guild articles. I was looking forward to afternoon tea, as I had finally convinced my husband to try it with me. Unfortunately, rather than being a highlight, it was a low point.

Our welcome from hotel front desk staff was friendly, as was the initial welcome from our waiter, but that was the best of our experience.

The restaurant was not crowded, yet we were all crammed into one corner and parties of two were seated along the wall. We were so close to one another that you could hear conversations two tables away.

The tea selection was fine and we were able to try one type each: The Chesterfield blend and the Dancing Dragon.

The food was elegantly served and we enjoyed several pieces, but contrary to what the waiter said, we never got more of anything other than two scones, only one of which I requested at the waiter's suggestion. We received no additional finger sandwiches or desserts, so there were things the other didn't get to sample. Our tea was not replenished either. Why? Our waiter left; I saw him leave with his coat and he did not return. There wasn't even a simple introduction to the waiter taking over his shift... if there was one. No other staff checked on us, though we sat there for another 45 minutes, no longer eating or drinking, and made eye contact with servers tending to other guests.

It turned out that serving staff were bewildered that we were left there, and because of this, there was a lack of coordination when we decided we'd had enough and wanted the check. This same staff were kind enough to roll up the leftover food in foil, but those were the items we didn't want or care for. Yet, other guests at no less than four other tables had fresh orders of their "favorite" items nicely boxed to take away, complete with the signature red carnation. (Remember, we could overhear the goings on at other tables.) I'm not sure which part of this experience offended me more! We were not ruffians who wandered in off the street, and we didn't treat the waiter or other staff poorly -- and how could we since we hardly interacted with them?

I guess that when trying a new-to-you restaurant, you really never know what you're going to get, but given the Chesterfield Mayfair's stellar reputation, I certainly expected better. What a letdown...

1  Thank Kris_K_D