“My favorite hotel in London”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #33 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Beautiful hotel, classic and modern at the same time, and ueber stylish without been pretentious. Rooms are delightful and the little touches - for example, turn service in the evening accompanied by a lovely retro thermos of tea - are a real joy.

Breakfast is delicious. Personnel is friendly and personable, and extremely professional at the same time. The real gem is George at the restaurant!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank VKLK
andrea D, Manager at The Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for writing such a great review following your recent visit. We are so pleased to have exceeded your expectations. I have passed your comments onto George who was delighted to look after you during your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and chose this hotel as it was near to the places we wanted to visit. The hotel is approx. 10 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station. We arrived in reception and welcomed by staff, we had to wait for 20 minutes as our room was not ready, we were told we could have an upgrade as were staying for more than three nights. The room was on the 5th floor, was quiet and pleasant enough but not massive and we were greeted with bottled water and fruit. The bathroom was large with a shower and bath. The room was very clean. I would have liked to have had a small fridge so that I could kept cool some of the food items I purchased when out shopping.The cleaning service was a bit hit and miss, on one particular day we had been out all day and just wanted to go back to our rooms for a rest but on arriving we were locked out of our room, our room had not been cleaned and the cleaning woman was just about to do embark on cleaning, this wasn't a huge problem but we would have preferred to have had the room cleaned before we arrived back. The cleaning woman told us we should have put the sign out on the door. A similar thing happened the following day when we were trying to pack and check out. There appeared to be a lack of communication between the cleaning staff and the hotel. In general the hotel staff were very welcoming. We ate dinner in the hotel one evening and the food was OK. There was a gym in the hotel but we did not use this. In all we enjoyed our stay and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had head there were minor building works at the hotel so I had asked specifically for a quiet roo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly that you found our team to be so welcoming . It was disappointing to hear about the issues you experienced and I would like to assure you that your comments have been shared with our team.We look forward to your next visit to the Kensington Hotel.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed at the kensington hotel after reading the numerous good reviews the place looks to have undergone a refurbishment recently all done very well. I stayed on the room facing the leafy queens gate street and had a wonderful view. I had a massive bed that has got to be the most comfiest that i have ever slept in so far, staff are very professional and knew how to make you feel welcome like Aladine on breakfast and also the reception when checking out. The hotel is close to many museums and a short walk to Knightsbridge, lots of good restaurants nearby less than 5 minutes walk. i had a nice stay and I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank natasha w

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is fantastic to read how much you enjoyed your experience with us and that we managed to exceed your expectations. We have shared your comments with Aladiane and all of our team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I typically stay at the Morgans hotel group of hotels (sanderson/st. martins lane.) Staying at The Kensington was out of my comfort range as I typically go for uber modern and sleek. This trip, I opted to stay in Kensington for proximity to an event I was attending and I was so not disappointed. I love this hotel. It completely relaxed me after hectic days and nights roaming around London. It reminds me of staying in the guest room of a grand home of a relative but with modern updates. The staff were super attentive- I received early check in and a room upgrade. They addressed any minor problem I had in the room immediately. The shower was amazing, bathroom updated, bed really comfortable. The lounge downstairs is a perfect place to meet up with friends or read the paper and have a drink or coffee. I would highly recommend this hotel - great location to museums/park and tube. And mostly, the staff really care about you having a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade- go for a higher floor and ask for quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for writing such an amazing review. We are delighted that you have enjoyed every aspect of the hotel. We believe all our guests need to be treated to the little things that make a difference and are proud to be your favourite place to stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a deluxe queen that was quiet and fairly large, but with a tiny bathroom. Location was convenient for sightseeing and dinner. The turndown service was able to replace all the towels correctly only 2 out of 4 nights. Breakfast was convenient but expensive, and the staff was slow to clear empty plates and bring the bill.

I checked out with my US credit card and, when I was given the paper to sign, I said to the clerk that I wanted my card charged in pounds. He told me it was, but when I got home I found out that wasn't true and that the exchange rate was much worse. I contacted the hotel and got no response, but got my money back through the credit card company.

Room Tip: 210 was quiet even though it has a partial view of Old Brompton Rd. Room size is good but bathroom...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travl1n

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us however I was very disappointed to read that you were not totally satisfied with every aspect of your stay. I would like to assure you that we have addressed the issues you have raised with our teams. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are traveling to London as I would be delighted to personally assist you with your booking.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Excellent hotel, very attentive staff, warm ambience, relaxing in front of open fire reading a paper. Really enjoyable stay, rooms were spotless, food delightful, and the cocktails in the bar went down a treat. Very central location. It is my home from home, I'll be back

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you once again for taking the time to write such a nice review and please feel free to contact me when you are next in London. I look forward to welcoming you back to your London home again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Some friends and I (including a child of 8) booked afternoon tea and it was a sumptuous experience. Log fires burning, doorman taking the coats, exquisite bathrooms with individual towels for drying hands plus rose-scented creams. We sat on luxurious sofas and were served by our own personal waiter who took care of us for the next hour and a half. The tea-menu was extensive with all sorts of brews on offer, once we had chosen our teas our waiter unfolded large, square, white cotton serviettes and placed them carefully on each of our laps. We were then brought trays of tiny sandwiches, 5 each with different fillings served on varying breads. The waiter used silver tongs and placed the sandwiches on our china plates. Then followed a gin & tonic sorbet (passion fruit for the child), then came hot, crumbly scones with clotted cream, lemon curd and raspberry jam. If that wasn't enough two silver, tiered cake stands were presented to us brimming with little deadlies. Chocolate mouse; pavlovas; hazelnut; tiny lemon tartlets. We couldn't fit it all it but it was heavenly. My advice is don't eat a big lunch beforehand and don't rush the tea. The waiter is laid-back and you are quite a liberty to loll about on those sofas listening to the jazz and indulging yourself with a proper English tea after a hectic stomp round the shops.

Room Tip: I did not stay in the hotel, only had afternoon tea.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review.We are delighted you enjoyed our Afternoon tea so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel again soon.