“Worth the money”

Ranked #34 of 1,063 Hotels in London
phoenix, az
“Worth the money”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The staff at the Kensington is wonderful. Friendly and helpful. We had daily breakfast included with our stay and it was excellent. We had a basic room which is small but I think pretty typical for the area. Common areas are quite nice as well. I went slightly over my travel budget to stay at the Kensington because it got very good reviews and I wanted to make sure I was comfortable during my week in London. I was very glad I did.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank mirazira
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear mirazira,
Thank you for taking the time to write lovely review about your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. We appreciate your sharing with the online travelling community.
We all share the belief that a memorable experience starts with a team that is dedicated to doing all we can to enhance your time with us, your kind words let us know we are succeeding in our aims.

We hope you will think of us again should you be returning to London

Vincent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
atlantic beach, NY
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Do not hesitate to stay at the kensington hotel! we were 2 first-timers to london, and this hotel was perfect in every way - location, the staff, and the price! Concierges vincent and martyn were super helpful with advising us about tours, the tube, and walking directions. yes, the rooms can be small - but that's european hotels in general. the lobby is welcoming and has a wonderful scent. the neighborhood was super fab - quiet and clean and near 2 tube stops on the yellow circle line, and walking distance to several streets with good restaurants and lively cafes, and also near the natural history museum. we also walked to harrods - which really wasn't that fantastic a store but we did find a great restaurant near the store - brompton asian brasserie....we are planning on returning to london next year and will certainly book the kensington! our room had a comfy king bed, and a large bathroom and was very quiet - facing out to the courtyard. the price was amazing - 132 GBP per night. every staff member was helpful and friendly! the air conditioning was also very quiet - which is a pet peeve of mine - i really hate it when the AC switches on and off loudly all night. we were very happy not to be staying at a 'chain' hotel like a marriott or a radisson - so give the kensington hotel a try! you won't be disappointed! it's absolutely LOVELY!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear mrsez,
Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our location in leafy South Kensington with our proximity to Museum Row, good transport links and so many wonderful eateries. As well as shop of London’s best shops just a short walk up the road.

We are dedicated to doing all that we can to ensure your time with us is memorable so we really appreciate your kind words, especially about Martyn and Vincent in Concierge. I have passed on your wonderful words to everyone here to enjoy.

We hope that on your next visit to London you’ll think of us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this hotel via a luxury hotel website... And boy did it have the Wow factor. The seating and bar areas were not too ostentatious but were luxurious and inviting. the staff were excellent, especially reception and the porters who we dealt with a fair bit! They were on hand with a map and advice with what we should see and do!
We had dinner and cocktails which were lovely and there was a good selection of tipples on offer. breakfast was enormous and we ate in our room which was also great. The bedroom was furnished to a high standard but the bathroom wasn't as amazing as it could have been, although it still has a TV by the bath (not all channels worked) and his n hers sinks, heated mirrors etc.
The location of the hotel is fab and serves as a good base for exploring. Can't wait to go back and try some more cocktails - and of course, afternoon tea!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear BMY89,
Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. We are thrilled to know that we met your high standards.

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our suite. While every room is furnished to the highest standard our suites have the added benefit of extra space for your comfort and relaxation and as you have discovered some have an extra TV for you to enjoy.
Thank you for your comments regarding Aubrey. We were pleased that you enjoyed your dining with us. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our team. We are all passionate about creating a memorable experience for your time with us; your kind words serve as a real motivator and confirmation that we are reaching our aims.

Lastly from all of us here thank you for your kind review. We understand it takes time and we really appreciate it.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards,

UK
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Kensington Hotel part of the Doyle Collection is conveniently situated between South Ken Tube and the Natural History Museum. It is billed as a Town House Hotel and certainly oozes charm and character often missing in some of London's larger prestigious hotels. From the pleasantly perfumed reception dest to the beautifully appointed rooms this hotel feels special. The bar and restaurant area is wonderful. I only ate from the bar menu but the food was really good and very reasonably priced. The staff were able to accommodate me when I requested something which wasn't on the the menu too, which I always think is the mark of a good establishment! The gym facilities were good and usually quite which is a good thing! The overall service was of a level which would have embarrassed many of London's better known hotels. If I could level a criticism it would be that my room, though charming, was very small indeed and there was effectively no clothes storage apart from a tiny hanging wardrobe, shared with a folding suitcase rack (Though exactly where you were supposed to put this up I have no idea!). The bathroom, likewise, was tiny with only a shower and no bath (Though a high quality and perfectly good shower none the less!). I had booked a "Superior Double" so exactly what you get from a standard room I cannot imagine. For a single guest it was more than adequate. I think two guests would get in each other's way!

Room Tip: Make it quite clear that you want a decent sizes room and pay a bit extra if necessary. THe room I h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RichardVUK
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear RichardVUK,
Thank you for your review; we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience if us here at The Kensington Hotel with the online travelling community.

Were disappointed to read that you found your room small. While all our beautifully appointed rooms are to the highest standard and include amenities such as 300-count bed linen and ultra-plush duvets, every room is different owing to the fact that we were converted townhouses. Should you be returning one of our team here would be delighted to discuss your room needs to assign you a room more suitable to you. Or perhaps you would like to opt for one of our Deluxe rooms which would afford you these wonderful amenities as well as a larger more sumptuous space.

Thank you for your comments regarding our lounge service and bar menu. We were pleased that you enjoyed it. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our team. We are all dedicated to delivering a discreet yet personal service which represents excellent value at all times, your comments serve as a real motivator and confirmation that we are reaching our aims.

We hope that you will think of us on your next visit to London

San Diego, California
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at The Kensington last week. An otherwise nice stay was ruined because someone on the staff stole a diamond necklace out of our luggage. The piece was hidden in a very discrete part of the luggage and would only have been found by someone conducting a complete search of our belongings. The manager insisted that his staff would not have done such a thing, but the item was stolen. I would not post a negative review of this nature unless we were absolutely certain. We also filed a police report, but the staff denied it. Unfortunately the culprit is still working there and I could not recommend staying at this hotel as a result.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank beau92
Gozo
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The common areas - bar and lounge, reception, restaurants - are inviting, elegant and cosy. Staff are attentive and friendly. The rooms are well appointed, though I missed a bedside clock and a long mirror in the room I stayed in. And if that is all I have to complain about then this is a very good hotel indeed! One certainly worth returning to and recommending.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mr-Vincent-OGorman, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Katarina T,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay and share your experience with the online travelling community. We were thrilled you chose to stay with us here at The Kensington Hotel and welcome you as our guests.

We are continuously striving to offer a personal service that each of our guests feels at home whilst staying with us, and so it was truly a pleasure to read your feedback. We believe that a memorable experience starts with a team that is dedicated to doing all we can to enhance your time with us. Your kind words regarding our team, the décor and everything during your stay lets us know that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I missed my Gatwick flight was was in a pinch about where to spend the night while I waited for the next flight. My cabby suggested The Kensington Hotel. I'm so glad he did. I checked into the hotel with no reservation - was given a competitive rate - and immediate assistance re-booking my missed flight. The staff were delightful and very helpful. They suggested I visit Victoria & Albert Museum ... and then get a manicure around the corner from the hotel ... and make it back in time for tea. I felt like I was dealing with family members.
My room was elegant and airy and big - and not overly designed and quirky. The bed was heavenly. The downstairs lobby area is what a London hotel should look like ... it has many seating areas where you can tuck in with a book by a fireplace, have a cup of tea and/or meet friends. It's filled with art and crystal and big furniture - and it's all newly up-dated - but again, it isn't quirky, edgy or precious. Anyone will feel comfortable there ... including a single woman traveler who is stranded overnight. It is the perfect London experience! My only complaint is that there was little or no information about a hotel pool ... or any of the gym facilities. Also, there was no information about check-out times in the room ... but really, I think I'm just reaching for something to critique here.

Room Tip: 402 is a lovely room ... though no bathtub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SusanTWood
Dear SusanTWood,
We were sorry to read that you missed your flight. We know how stressful this can be. We were, however, delighted to read that you were recommended to stay with us. It is always an honour to hear that someone thinks so highly of us. It was our pleasure to welcome you as our guest and alleviate your stressful experience in any way we can.
It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our location in leafy South Kensington with such convenient proximity to Museum Row and salons.

We are dedicated to doing all that we can to ensure your time with us is memorable so I have passed on your wonderful words to everyone here to enjoy. Our design team, in particular, were delighted to hear that you thought so highly of the décor. Our property has been converted from Townhouses and they all worked tremendously hard during our renovation, and everyday since, to bring it back to its glory. It’s lovely to read that you felt we achieved this.
We hope that you will think of us again should you be returning to London.