“Wonderful staff!”

The Kensington
Ranked #36 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Wonderful staff!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at The Kensington Hotel for 2 nights from Jan 18-20th. It was my first business trip to London and I could not have been made more welcome. On arrival at reception I was met by a lovely porter who relieved me of my luggage with a big smile...and then I was offered a warm hand towel to freshen up while checking in! What lovely touches...other hotels take note, it's the small things that make the difference! Since I had contacted the hotel after booking and let them know it was my first trip, I was given a complimentary upgrade which was lovely...I had requested a room overlooking the street but the room I was given was an interior room with not much of a view...but the room was so lovely otherwise with a gorgeous en-suite and dressing area that I didn't mind at all and I was already feeling spoiled so I didn't feel it necessary to mention it! But the next morning I received a call from Chiara (Guest Services) apologising for the lack of view and offering to move me to another room! Now that is customer service! I turned down the offer as I was so comfortable and had made myself at home! On my first night back in the room there was a beautiful fruit plate along with some macaroons and chocolates awaiting me, together with a lovely note from Ansis(Guest Services) Lovely touch! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend time in London...you're a 5min walk from South Kensington tube station...although on my first morning I walked all the way to Marble Arch as the weather was so nice! I will most certainly be returning to The Kensington Hotel, maybe next time for a weekend away rather than business!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank lounoonan
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Mrs. lounoonan,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kensington Hotel after your recent stay.
I really appreciate your wonderful comments and wanted to express my gratitude for that!
It was a pleasure to look after you and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you need a new reservation.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Chiara Vierchowod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed there for a total of 5 nights. Location was wonderful, only 5 mins walk to South Kensington underground station. Quite a number of affordable restaurants nearby. Staff was nice and helpful. Lobby was classy. Room was clean with sufficient space to move around. Services were wonderful, fresh apples, chocolates, soft towels/slippers, free wifi...Good choice for staying over there on vacation.

1 Thank gelalaw
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Gelalaw,
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience you had at the Kensington Hotel. I really appreciate your comments.I am very pleased you enjoyed your experience here with us! Please be assured that I have already passed your nice feedback to our team.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back .
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I had a good idea what i was getting but When checking out watch your bill. I was charged for a breakfast that I didn't have and when I told them they practically accused me of lying. Next they explained that the price advertised was ex VAT. I signed and left and then realized that they had converted the bill to euro taking another couple of percent. Take take take. Never again.

• Stayed January 2012
6 Thank irishman007
Dear Irishman007,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at the Kensington Hotel.
I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with your recent visit to the Kensington Hotel. Please be assured that I am personally investigating the issue you have raised with the front office team. At your earliest convenience please feel free to contact me personally at chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com or via telephone at +44(0)20 75896300 , I would like to discuss further with you the issues you . I hope to have the opportunity to restore your trust in our team and welcome you back at the Kensington Hotel.

USA
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed here recently for a business trip and very much enjoyed this classy hotel for a 4 day stay. The service there is top notch - from the chocolates in your room at night, to the helpful concierge and to the bottle of water offered upon departure. The hotel itself is situation on a quiet street but is close to a lot of great restaurants, stores and attractions. Although you can easily hail a cab in front of the hotel, the South Kensington tube station is just a 5 minute walk away. Apparently there are a few hotels called "The Kensington" so you will need to state the address for the cab driver to find it.

The hotel is nicely appointed which carries into the rooms. The standard rooms are on the small side but it served my purposes. If you have the means, upgrade to a deluxe if you need more space. I've traveled to Europe several times and have noticed the lack of an alarm clock, the staple of the American hotel (along with the Gideon's Bible apparently). However, in this hotel you will notice the large flat-screen TV has the time on the lower left corner. I think you can set an alarm here but you can always call to have a wake-up call (which is done by a real person and not a machine so make sure to respond when they call you). My room overlooked the main street which made for good people watching. One of the things that is missing from the room is a desk from which to do work or eat in. There probably isn't space for one in a room that size but it would have been nice.

A few on the nice amenities are:
- the gym in the basement. It's small but with most of the expected equipment
- free wireless internet which is essential for a business trip
- computer with printer in the lobby. Great for printing out your boarding pass (and free)
- breakfast. I think it depends on your reservation but mine came with continental breakfast which was generous and a great way to start the day

This was my first stay at this boutique hotel and I hope to return on my next trip to London!

Room Tip: The hotel itself is very quiet so even with the room facing the main street there was almost no nois...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank no_map
Dear no_map,
Thank you very much for your nice and detailed review of the Kensington Hotel.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com should you need to make a new reservation.
Warm Regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I travelled to London again recently and was once more housed in the Kensington Hotel for a three week period, checking in and out every week, so saw a total of three different rooms of similar standard - this makes a total of 30 nights over the past 3 or 4 months.

Please also note this is my second review of this hotel - check my other reviews for my thoughts on my first stay.

I have to say I really like this hotel. I think the service is excellent and the cleanliness second to none. There are a myriad of nice touches that they offer, from a refreshing towel at check-in, to free wifi in all parts of the hotel, free newspapers in the morning, to an offer of a free bottle of water on check-out.

I think the hotel management should receive praise for this type of service which make the hotel stand out from its competition. It's these small things that really count when it comes to service provision in my view, and The Kensington does it really very well.

I do however feel that on occasion the rooms let themselves down in some respects.

Whilst the rooms are large (again I stayed in an executive room), furnished with verve and taste, and the bed extremely comfortale, I wonder quite how The Kensington can pitch itself to business travellers like myself, when they do not provide a desk in the room. I have rarely stayed at a hotel of this price and calibre and not had a desk in the room where I can work. There was certainly space for a desk in the room - so why not include one?

You might think that this is limited to my room, or perhaps was an oversight, but all three rooms I stayed in during my trip were all differently furnished, and all of them lacked a desk. Unimpressive if you are a business traveller. Oddly, on my first 3 week visit, there was a desk in every room...

I would like to sum up that I think this is a charming hotel, with large comfortable rooms, fantastic service, and well located in South Kensington. The hotel delivers a pretty personalised service, which for the calibre of hotel is actually relatiavely rare.

Recommended.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a desk if I travelled to this hotel again.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Worldworn
Dear Worldworn,
Thank you very much for your kind words about the Kensington Hotel, I really appreciate your feedback. I am very happy to hear that once again you enjoyed your stay with us but I would also like to apologise for the ‘desk issue’ you experienced. As you noticed here at the Kensington Hotel each room is slightly different from the other and some have a writing desk and other only have a regular table. Please feel free to contact me personally at chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com so I will be able to upload your preferences in the system, to make sure that next time you will receive the most suitable room for your needs. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Kensington Hotel.
Kindest Regards
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I arrived at the Kensington at 11pm after a plane trip from Sweden for a 3 night stay. As soon as I arrived my bag was taken by the courteous porter, Martin. Quiet and warm foyer, greeted by reception and requested a wake up call in morning as I was on a tour the next day. Room and bathroom clean, the bed was so comfortable , linen white and fresh. Problem-next morn, no wake up call, plus wasn't notified of the tour person coming to collect me. Reception called the tour company(premium) and a lovely tour man Len drove me to the tower of London so didn't miss the tour! Arrived back at hotel that afternoon spoke to Vanessa and Ansis (managers) who were aware of the morning scenario, apologised and indulged me in a complimentary dinner. This restored my enjoyment of this hotel. Next day another tour, received wake up call, great tour, back to a warm hotel, delicious food and a very large comfortable bed! All areas of staff are professional and courteous. Would stay here again.

1 Thank 770Traveller
Dear 770Traveller,
Thank you so much for your nice feedback following your recent stay with us.Please accept my apologies for the missed wake up call and the tour guide issue, and please be assured that we spoke with the team and it will not happen again. Please feel free to contact me directly should you be coming to London again, I would be delighted to look after your booking for you.I am looking forward to welcoming you back at the Kensington Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Kensington Hotel London at the weekend and we enjoyed it so much that we felt compelled to write a review on Trip Advisor. We arrived from Dublin earlier in the day and checked in at 11am to which we were told that our room was ready! we were delighted... we were also upgraded which was a great surprise for us and especially as it was my boyfriend's birthday.. we left our luggage up and went out and about and when we arrived back to our room we found a beautiful fruit plate with "happy birthday" written in chocolate on it. A lovely touch. The room itself was so clean, comfortable, spacious and quiet. The bathroom was gorgeous with major attention to detail. We only stayed for one night unfortunately as we were heading home the next day and we were sad to leave the hotel - very rare in my experience. The next day upon checking out we had a late flight so we could leave our luggage with the hotel for safe keeping and when we came to collect it the staff were so nice and said "welcome back" with lovely smiles - seriously we felt as though we were their only customers and they were very genuine. This hotel is in a fantastic location just a few minutes walk to the main museums and many beautiful cafes and restaurants surround it - if you are looking for a really lovely Indian restaurant we would recommend "Thali" which was recommended to us from the very helfpful concierge. From our weekend trip away we have promised to visit again in April. Really looking forward to it already.

1 Thank MIchelle N
Dear Michelle N,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback about the Kensington Hotel!
I really appreciate your praise and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us , more than happy to hear that you found our staff helpful and you also liked the décor of the hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist in your next booking.
On behalf of the Management and Team Members of the Kensington Hotel I am looking forward to soon welcoming you back.
Kind regards