“Stylish hotel in a convenient location”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #34 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Belgrade, Serbia
“Stylish hotel in a convenient location”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I knew this hotel would be a good choice from the minute I walked in. Everything was as it was suppose to be. The hotel was elegantly furnished and very clean. The staff is friendly and always there to help. I especially loved the weather reports we received each evening for the following day since the weather in London changes a lot. The location was great, I love this part of London because it's quiet and safe. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a stylish and quiet place to stay in such an exciting city as London can be.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Niuccia
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Niuccia,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Kensington Hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and the service we provide. I have passed on your kind words to the entire team here and I hope to welcome you back personally on your next stay in London! I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
Kind Regards
Chiara Vierchowod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Suffolk Uk
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Reception
As soon as I appeared at the doors, I was welcomed by the porter and my bags taken. At the desk I was initially offered a room at the front of the building, overlooking Queensgate, but as soon as I explained that I was working nearby and needed a quiet room to ensure a good night’s sleep, I was offered one on the fifth and highest floor. This proved very quiet even though it overlooked the road.
Room
I was escorted to the room – a studio suite – and shown its major features and controls. I knew that the room came with a four-poster bed but this was surprisingly small: I also find it hard to understand what advantage a dark rectangular wooden structure arising from the four corners of the bed is supposed to provide. In my opinion it served only to make the room seem smaller. Furniture was limited to two wooden armchairs – comfortable enough – two small round tables and a large modern desk. The very large wall- mounted flat screen TV rather dominated the room and was angled for best viewing from the bed rather than the seating area. There was an excellent choice of channels and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. There was also an excellent coffee-making machine.
The bed linen was of good quality. The AC performed excellently during the night without discernible noise so I slept well throughout my stay. It was surprising to find that it was difficult to warm the room during the afternoon however: despite turning the thermostat up to 24C, it remained cold until early evening when warm air finally began to issue. I have noticed before that some London hotels seem to turn off the heating during the day even in winter – presumably on the basis that the rooms are then largely unoccupied.
The bathroom was excellent: spacious and modern. There was a large tub at one end and a splendid walk-in shower with rain-head at the other. In between was the WC and two wash-hand basins. The markings on the single lever taps were difficult to reconcile with the temperature of the water though – experiment and patience were required to achieve the desired blend.
The room was serviced during the morning to an excellent standard.
The Bar & Room Service
The transformation from Jury’s Kensington to The Kensington obviously involved a major remodelling of the public rooms so that what was the bar is now a large and very comfortable lounge area and a new large bar has appeared to the rear of that area. Both are staffed by a young, friendly and efficient team. On the second night of my stay, a welcome reception for guests saw champagne flowing freely and so many canapés on offer that I did not need a meal later – I doubt that this is a weekly event however.
As my business involved a substantial lunch every day, I did not sample the restaurant but the room service menu provided excellent light snacks which appeared reasonably promptly.
Checkout
As with all my dealings at the front desk, this was handled promptly and pleasantly.The prices were of course fairly high but not unusually or unjustifiably so given the excellent overall standard of the hotel.
Overall
Pluses: excellent location and service, welcoming and comfortable ambience, very quiet room and reasonable value.
Minuses: Very few. Room cold during the day. Four-poster not to my taste - but it might please others, of course.

Room Tip: Either at the rear or as high as possible if at front - to minimise road noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SuffolkUkAlbertRoss
Dear SuffolkUkAlbertRoss,
I was really pleased that you took the time to leave this wonderful feedback about your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. I was also delighted that you appreciate the hotel, had the opportunity to enjoy the champagne reception we hosted and the service you received from our Front desk team. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and in the meanwhile I wish you a Happy Christmas and Joyous New Year.

Kind regards
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Pros: quiet & safe area with shops/restaurants very near by; proximity to museums (V&A, etc.); proximity to South Kensington tube (10 minutes walk); elegant decor; efficient service

Cons: Room & bathroom a little small (typical for London but as I was traveling for work, it would have been nice to have a desk); walls are thin; tube not as close as I would like

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PekoePeony
Dear PekoePeony,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Due to the configuration of the building all the room here at the Kensington Hotel have different size and shape, should you be coming to London again please feel free to contact me personally at Chiara_Vierchowod@doylecollection.com , so I would be able to allocate the most suitable room for your requirements. I am looking forward to welcoming you back with us.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Leeds
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights recently and loved this hotel. It is stylish and elegant without being stuffy, and the staff are very pleasant, helpful and professional in their attitude. As an example, on a busy Friday night, returning late from dining out, my husband found the bar extremely busy, and was about to give up on his night cap, when one of the staff noticed us leaving the bar area empty handed. He proceeded to tell us that he would get the drink on our behalf, which he did immediately .He could have easily let us leave the area and we would have been none the wiser, - thank you. The breakfasts were delicious with a good choice of both continental and cooked food, and the general ambience made us feel we wanted to linger. The bedroom, although on the small side, was clean, comfortable and extremely well appointed. Loved the turn down service and chocs. Would definitely recommend and will stay again on our next trip to London.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlust004
Dear Wanderlust004,
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you need a new reservation.
Best Wishes to you and your beloved ones for a festive holiday season and a prosperous New Year!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We loved The Kensington Hotel! We stayed for six nights and had a wonderful time. The room was elegant, quiet and comfortable. We came back to the room each evening to shower and get ready to go to the theater and when we returned late, our bed was turned down and all of our wet towels were replaced. Each night we also got a bottle of water, a tiny dessert and chocolates. The dessert was different each night. One evening we even got a thermos of tea. The staff was friendly and helpful and we loved the location. It's a short walk to the South Kensington tube station. We highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MPLS100
Dear MPLS100,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was really pleased to read your gracious comments about your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. I was delighted that you liked the room and our turn down service. I have passed on your kind words to the entire team. I hope to personally welcome you back on your next stay, please feel free to contact me at Chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com should you need another booking.
Wishing you a Joyous Christmas and a successful New Year
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently enjoyed a wonderful stay at The Kensington. We visited London for my birthday weekend, and our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. The staff were helpful and courteous without being intrusive, and couldn't do enough to ensure that our stay was memorable. The bar is definitely worth a visit- and the cocktails are just gorgeous! Definitely go to this hotel.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natalie B
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Dear Natalie B
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I am really happy that you enjoyed the Hotel and the service we give to our guests.
I have passed your kind comments to our team at The Kensington Hotel .
I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Kind regards,
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My daughter and I were in London over Thanksgiving week and chose the Kensington for our afternoon tea experience. We could not have been happier. Service was great, holiday decor was up and lovely, and the food was divine. We had a delightful conversation with Vanessa, the Asst. Guest Relations Manager, and based on our experience in the restaurant and with her wonderful hospitality, this is where we will stay on future trips to London.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AllisonNNH
Dear AllisonNNH,
I am delighted to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed the afternoon Tea here at the Kensington Hotel. I passed your nice comments to Vanessa and to our team in Aubrey Restaurant & Bar. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at Chiara_Vierchowod@doylecollection.com should you need to make a new reservation .
Best Wishes to you and your family for a Joyous Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
Kind Regards