“Fantastic Hotel with great service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #35 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Charlevoix, Michigan
“Fantastic Hotel with great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

My wife and I had the privilege of staying at The Kensington Hotel, Doyle Group, 109-113 Queens’ Gate, London SW& 5LR for nine days departing May 7, 2011. We found the hotel charming, very clean and service oriented. Our room was a Studio Suite which was large and the bathroom was done in black and white marble with a full size tub, walk in shower, double sink and a bidet and was luxurious. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel surprised us with a bouquet of a dozen red roses the first day of our stay. Every evening we received a thermos of tea and a sweet treat. The sitting area in the hotel was very pleasant and served quality food which was available throughout the day including a very nice restaurant. The staff went out of their way to please and to make our stay very pleasant. The concierge arranged for us to be picked up at the airport and to take us back upon our departure and enabled us to charge it to our room. There is a safe in the room large enough for a lap top computer. One day I inadvertently left the safe open and when we returned at the end of the day its contents were intact.
The hotel’s location is ideal with a short walk to South Kensington Station. There are a large number of restaurants and services in the area including laundry, grocery stores, banks, money exchange, drug stores, deli, news stand and even a Starbucks. We felt very comfortable in the area and enjoyed the local pub and several of the restaurants. The Victoria and Albert Museum, The Museum of Natural History and the Science Museum were all within easy walking distant to the hotel.
I had done much research on picking the best hotel at the best value and I could not have been happier. I hope we have an opportunity to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a Studio Suite deal
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 42068Joe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

We had a fantastic trip to London, my husband, 12 year old daughter and I, which was topped by the fact that we stayed at the luxurious Doyle Group Hotel - The Kensington !!
Everything from the welcome, to the friendly staff, the luxurious en-suite room and the wonderfully set out breakfast with a refreshingly different menu, made this long weekend one to remember !!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheKensingtonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to write this wonderful review, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon for a another memorable weekend.

Gillian O'Loughlin
Assistant Guest Relations Manager
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stayed in a deluxe room as previous reviews had criticised the room sizes. This room was spacious and well equipped. In particular the bathroom was impressive. Room was at the rear, so no view, but also no noise!
One small complaint; a ceiling bulb was not working, but this was quickly and pleasantly rectified. The restaurant was excellent, both for dinner and breakfast. The staff were very friendly courteous and attentive. A bit pricey, but worth it. Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Would suggest going for deluxe room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Noel021
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Kensington Hotel. I had a fabulous room - upgraded my room (I forget what the "second level" room is called - premium, maybe?).

I had dinner in the restaurant - the food was top-notch.

The only negative - the bartender at the lounge was almost absurdly, laughably inattentive. He was so focused on the only other patron at the bar (both he and the patron spoke Italian) that other staff kept having to remind him that I was also at the bar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jen19146
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Its a brisk, business like hotel, with nothing memorable about it. The Royal Garden Hotel, located close by, is a much better choice. The rooms are REALLY small, so much that you have to literally hop from the bed into the bathroom. Location is excellent, lots of good restaurants nearby but not as close to the tube as you would like it. There is also no major shopping district closeby, and Kensington High Street is a good distance away. At £200 per night, with no breakfast included, it was a raw deal indeed. As I said, nothing to remember it by

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed at the Kensington for the Easter weekend, and we all found it definitely lovely. It is a very charming boutique hotel, in a nice location at a good price (I mean, this is London) for the service given.
Rooms all clean and well mantained, soft beds, soft spotless towels, the hotel offers bathrobes, slippers, hot water heater and they even hand you a bottle of water as you check out. They have those fridges that charge you automatically when you pull out the drinks, which I hate, but at least this worked well (usually you get charged when you sneeze too close to the fridge).
Good wireless connection in the rooms, a Mac with printer on the ground floor (you don't get charged for b/w prints) helps printing your boarding passes. There's always fruit or sweets in the hall.
We occupied 4 rooms, all nicely decorated. Room service and concierge, impeccable.
Note: some rooms and some bathrooms are SMALL. But very nice big showers.
CONS: they could not offer us adjoining rooms, so we had to leave the kids in a separate room (else we would have needed to book a suite, but did not know) nearby. No big issue for us, but remember to get a suite if you travel with small children.
We did not have breakfast in the hotel, instead we went to Le Pain Quotidien behind S. Kensington Tube station.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheKensingtonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Mrs McGonagall,

Many thanks for this wonderful review following your recent stay with us.
I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed spending the Easter holidays with us and I have shared your lovely comments with all of our team.

I am delighted to inform you that we will shortly be replacing the current mini bar system for a more user friendly version, I hope this will be in place for your next visit.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington hotel very soon.

Andrea Doyle
Guest Relations Manager
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

I arrived at this hotel, straight from Heathrow, at about 7:25 in the morning, expecting to check my luggage and come back later to check in. I looked (and felt) like a zombie. They checked me in immediately, showed me where the breakfast room was, and were utterly gracious. The public areas are beautifully decorated and this was like walking into the inside of a jewelbox. The only downside is that the room was tiny with absolutely no view - but I really didn't care. All I wanted was a soft bed, a nice bathoom, and a comfortable place to crash after my overnight flight. I got all that and more. I would definitely stay here again, even though it was something of a splurge.

Room Tip: Perfectly located near the South Kensington tube
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear Tripadvisor guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted to read that our team took such good care of you and that you enjoyed the whole experience at The Kensington Hotel.

I do hope I will have the opportunity to personally meet you and show you our different room categories on you next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Andrea Doyle